ADVERTISEMENT

NWCMO Pick Em regular season contest rules and notes for 2023

thetophat2021

Jun 14, 2021
Kearney, MO
WELCOME BACK! The 2023 HSFB season kicks off this Friday as everyone knows and so does NWCMO Pick Em (Northwest and West Central Missouri for you newbies).

The rules and game selections are unchanged from last season but, for the aforementioned new players (hope we get several) here we go:

Every SUNDAY the week's Pick Em game list will post which is VARIABLE. Some weeks like the upcoming opener will have lots of games others not so much it all depends on my matchup intuition (I NEVER EVER EVER use Calpreps or any other computer based stuff except to chart player stats).

Players will be instructed as to what the entry deadline will be (usually 7 PM Fridays but we do occasionally have Thursday game(s). There is ONE twist this year for accuracy purposes. You prior players will note last year I started giving thumbs up as acknowledgement I have read and recorded your picks. Beginning this year please DO NOT edit your picks without letting me know as that will be considered your official weekly entry. Another note for everyone DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK. The two most common mistakes are: copying and pasting the game i.e. both teams and omissions. In past years I have posted reminders not happening moving forward.

Our game has a unique BONUS/DEDUCTION feature which rewards/punishes players based on picking blowouts. The spread for 11-man remains 30 points and 8-man will remain 40 for one more season (last year there were very few of these will monitor stats and adjust accordingly come playoff time if I deem it necessary). Players picking the winning squad gain a point and those who lose are deducted one. For you new players you will be best served seeing the Week 1 stats for clarification.

Another twist are the Italicized games of the week. Those will also remain the same (NWCMO region and out of region games of the week). On those the points up the ante to THREE points if you get it right (extra bonus/deduction) and you lose TWO for an incorrect one if the game is a blowout as noted above. My new Minitab based spreadsheet captures all this extremely well but please do not hesitate to ask if you think your point total is incorrect.

Once finals begin becoming known I will post a weekly scoreboard with the bonus/deduction in parentheses next to each over-spreading game. Yours truly has been burned here over the years by incorrect score posting so will verify with the MSHSAA site which I consider the most accurate. Once all those are known I will immediately (yes this has happened at 2 AM+ before) post the weekly and overall statistics.

The top scoreres each week will appear on the main thread header and all those will be entered into a random drawing for a prize at the end of Week 9. Every player who ties each week (there are no tiebreaks until Week 9 if deemed necessary for position) will be entered.

PRIZES will distribute for 1st ($50 gift card), 2nd ($25 gift card) 3rd ($15 gift card) and the weekly winner random draw ($15 gift card).

THERE IS ONE BRAND NEW ADDITION: Anyone who gets a perfect weekly score (has not happened since 2011) will receive a mystery gift card at the end of the season.

All prizes will mail out to your PRIVATE mailing address (prior winners know I never keep said information on file) in time for Christmas!

And there you have it (catching breath)! Anyone with further questions etc. about any of this please respond on this thread.

Anyone not playing please DO NOT POST ON PARTICULARLY THE WEEKLY PICKS THREAD. YOU WILL BE PUNISHED LOL.

GOOD LUCK
to everyone who chooses to play and especially to all the great coaches, players and communities out there! Let's get this started!!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT