ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Opening

The kids will regret their decision in the long run. You can literally go on vacation anytime. No more chances to play in a Final 4.
I doubt this is true. If it meant no more to them at the time, I doubt it's really something that will matter to their adult self. Hell, in the end, they still got to play. Essentially no accountability for their decisions.

Whether the parents are different or the kids are different, times are just not the same, as when many of us were growing up. Most of us would not think of missing a game, not to mention a Final 4 game. Kids all the time are now missing event to go on family vacations, or whatever.... Even when vacations happened, back then, we stayed with friends or whatever..... Dad always instilled that we made a commitment to those on the team and we were going to keep it, no matter what... I MISS THOSE DAYS.... OK... I'm done... and GET OFF MY LAWN.

Whether the parents are different or the kids are different, times are just not the same, as when many of us were growing up. Most of us would not think of missing a game, not to mention a Final 4 game. Kids all the time are now missing event to go on family vacations, or whatever.... Even when vacations happened, back then, we stayed with friends or whatever..... Dad always instilled that we made a commitment to those on the team and we were going to keep it, no matter what... I MISS THOSE DAYS.... OK... I'm done... and GET OFF MY LAWN.
Couldn't agree more. Parents are the reasons kids have changed.

I think part of the issue is travel ball whether in that sport or a different sport and they play so many games that winning or losing becomes devalued, it is more about the individual than the team, and many (not all) travel ball coaches are in it primarily to make money. It seems that parents honor their commitment to their travel ball team because they are paying for it or they simply jump teams whenever they are held accountable by a coach or not getting to play enough or whatever, which makes it hard for school coaches when the high school team is less important than the travel team to many parents and in turn to many kids.

Parents are becoming a problem??? Parents have been a problem for at least 40 years. This is nothing new. The small town politics have been a problem for at least 40 years too. It comes with the territory and of course some places are worse than others.
Every year it gets worse.

I think part of the issue is travel ball whether in that sport or a different sport and they play so many games that winning or losing becomes devalued, it is more about the individual than the team, and many (not all) travel ball coaches are in it primarily to make money. It seems that parents honor their commitment to their travel ball team because they are paying for it or they simply jump teams whenever they are held accountable by a coach or not getting to play enough or whatever, which makes it hard for school coaches when the high school team is less important than the travel team to many parents and in turn to many kids.
Lot of truth to this. If you play, give or take, 100 games a year...the "sting" of the loss goes away in about 30 seconds or whenever the next game is. And when you play 100 or so, that next one is pretty quick.

We see it with our own. 13 and plays, give or take, 75 soccer games a year. Goofy. But we really don't know what the other option is. It has grown into this, you either do it the way we do it or with the flower pickers in some awful Rec league. There's literally no middle ground, at least for soccer in our area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT