ADVERTISEMENT

Higginsville 18, Richmond 12 FINAL

thetophat2021

Jun 14, 2021
Kearney, MO
My weekly in-person game and it did NOT disappoint! Wow do I sometimes forget how great small town Friday night is! Standing room only (zero chance of going to visitors side it was full when I arrived at 6:15) and deservedly so!

First quarter was completely dominated by the Huskers (#12 is a major star even better than what I saw on highlights to date) but only led to a 10-zip margin thanks to a very untimely bad snap (I mentioned concern about field conditions which did affect especially the first half) right at the Richmond goal line necessitating the FG. Had this one gone 14-0 not sure how the Spartans would have responded but BOY did they ever in the second quarter featuring a very accurate, flashy passing game and do their edge skill position players fly! Drove for a TD before half but XP (snap likely again due to turf conditions after daytime showers) was blocked making this one 10-6 at the intermission.

Third quarter was dominated by Richmond again passing (crossing routes appeared open most of the night until 4th quarter which we will get to) very well and it was one slip by a Higginsville DB that led to the Spartans TD making this one 12-10 after 3 (2 pt. conversion failed).

FOURTH QUARTER (caps on purpose) was where the home crowd really sprung to life as Higginsville decided to go power run featuring (who else) their star QB which resulted in two very dominant drives (one resulting in the deciding score) showcasing why the Huskers will be someone to really be dealt with come November and its generally colder weather. Final 18-12 as posted.

Back in Week 3 I was treated to a C4 top gun classic at my Alma Mater this one had the same "see you again in November" feel but these two, unlike Kearney and Smithville, have company in C2 D8 (Macon and Trenton) still this one definitely screams rematch! Power vs. Speed pretty much describes this heavyweight bout! FUN TIME.

Last edited:
My weekly in-person game and it did NOT disappoint! Wow do I sometimes forget how great small town Friday night is! Standing room only (zero chance of going to visitors side it was full when I arrived at 6:15) and deservedly so!

First quarter was completely dominated by the Huskers (#12 is a major star even better than what I saw on highlights to date) but only led to a 10-zip margin thanks to a very untimely bad snap (I mentioned concern about field conditions which did affect especially the first half) right at the Richmond goal line necessitating the FG. Had this one gone 14-0 not sure how the Spartans would have responded but BOY did they ever in the second quarter featuring a very accurate, flashy passing game and do their edge skill position players fly! Drove for a TD before half but XP (snap likely again due to turf conditions after daytime showers) was blocked making this one 10-6 at the intermission.

Third quarter was dominated by Richmond again passing (crossing routes appeared open most of the night until 4th quarter which we will get to) very well and it was one slip by a Higginsville DB that led to the Spartans TD making this one 12-10 after 3 (2 pt. conversion failed).

FOURTH QUARTER (caps on purpose) was where the home crowd really sprung to life as Higginsville decided to go power run featuring (who else) their star QB which resulted in two very dominant drives showcasing why the Huskers will be someone to really be dealt with come November and its generally colder weather. Final 18-12 as posted.

Back in Week 3 I was treated to a C4 top gun classic at my Alma Mater this one had the same "see you again in November" feel but these two, unlike Kearney and Smithville, have company in C2 D8 (Macon and Trenton) still this one definitely screams rematch! Power vs. Speed pretty much describes this heavyweight bout! FUN TIME.
#75 for Higginsville is a mack truck and #51 for Richmond is a pretty darned amazing TALL athlete. Would love to know College prospects for both...........

Last edited:
#75 for Higginsville is a mack truck and #71 for Richmond is a pretty darned amazing TALL athlete. Would love to know College prospects for both...........
They lost to Lutheran last year, otherwise would’ve been in the state game. It won’t be easy for anyone to take them out I wouldn’t think. Richmond was better last year imo. I think if they would’ve surprised Lamar more? They would’ve been in the title game.
And I’m saying that as a Lamar guy. Richmond was impressive.

Reactions: thetophat2021
They lost to Lutheran last year, otherwise would’ve been in the state game. It won’t be easy for anyone to take them out I wouldn’t think. Richmond was better last year imo. I think if they would’ve surprised Lamar more? They would’ve been in the title game.
And I’m saying that as a Lamar guy. Richmond was impressive.
They've more reloaded than rebuilt after the all purpose stud graduated. Coming out of this one I definitely like Higginsville a lot this November but it isn't just D8 but Bowling Green potential rematch from D7 before I dare talk about them getting to the title game but all the pieces are definitely there!

Reactions: 503_Maple
They've more reloaded than rebuilt after the all purpose stud graduated. Coming out of this one I definitely like Higginsville a lot this November but it isn't just D8 but Bowling Green potential rematch from D7 before I dare talk about them getting to the title game but all the pieces are definitely there!
Actually #51 per the roster sheet. Anyone else who went to/saw this game irritated at how hard it was to read the numbers on Richmond's uniforms? I know at least twice the PA announcer couldn't discern them.

Bowling Green definitely left some plays on the field. I remember that game. I think they are better this year. But one of the kinda hard things about it is, they don’t play anyone. They have a severely lacking schedule. It’s bad. I get it, it’s part of it sometimes. You can’t make other teams better. But it makes the determination of JUST how good they are hard. I feel a lot of class 2 could play that schedule and win by that much, even if they played their JV team against the varsity of those schools. Anyways, I’ve always enjoyed watching them play. Granted, I’ve only seen them live against Lamar.

Bowling Green definitely left some plays on the field. I remember that game. I think they are better this year. But one of the kinda hard things about it is, they don’t play anyone. They have a severely lacking schedule. It’s bad. I get it, it’s part of it sometimes. You can’t make other teams better. But it makes the determination of JUST how good they are hard. I feel a lot of class 2 could play that schedule and win by that much, even if they played their JV team against the varsity of those schools. Anyways, I’ve always enjoyed watching them play. Granted, I’ve only seen them live against Lamar.
Here is where I really miss cards1968! Hasn't Clark County been pretty good?

Yes. They have had some pretty peppery squads. He’s mentioned. A few years ago they only lost a few games with a tough schedule. Would’ve went to state, but they ran into LC (ironically) and lost. Otherwise would’ve been in the state game.

The schedule comment is more geared towards NOW and not over the past decade. A lot of those schools are down in comparison to a few years ago. I do think they would beat those teams now (bowling green) a challenge would be good for them before districts.

Yes. They have had some pretty peppery squads. He’s mentioned. A few years ago they only lost a few games with a tough schedule. Would’ve went to state, but they ran into LC (ironically) and lost. Otherwise would’ve been in the state game.

The schedule comment is more geared towards NOW and not over the past decade. A lot of those schools are down in comparison to a few years ago. I do think they would beat those teams now (bowling green) a challenge would be good for them before districts.
You made raw meat's day! PEPPERY.

Clark is good this year. Lost to South Shelby last night and Macon a few weeks ago. They start several Jr's and They will be the favorite to win the CCC next year. They will return almost everyone.
BG is loaded and better than last year. The EMO is worse than last year and gives them no competition. They won't see a good team till districts, but they should be heavy favorites to win it. Then winner of LC or Richmond I would guess.

Clark is good this year. Lost to South Shelby last night and Macon a few weeks ago. They start several Jr's and They will be the favorite to win the CCC next year. They will return almost everyone.
BG is loaded and better than last year. The EMO is worse than last year and gives them no competition. They won't see a good team till districts, but they should be heavy favorites to win it. Then winner of LC or Richmond I would guess.
Where does Macon, in your view, rate vs. Richmond-Higginsville?

Where does Macon, in your view, rate vs. Richmond-Higginsville?
I don't think they can hang with either. Macon's QB is really good at scrambling and making play's. I think they can score but not sure about the defense stopping either. They end the reg. season with Monroe City and Centralia.

I don't think they can hang with either. Macon's QB is really good at scrambling and making play's. I think they can score but not sure about the defense stopping either. They end the reg. season with Monroe City and Centralia.
To beat Richmond you better have excellent DBs (Higg's got better especially in the 4th but had issues with their passing game) and find a way to pressure the rifle armed accurate QB.

Beating Higginsville bring all the muscle you can muster because MAN do they have huge kids for a C2 program! If, as stated previously, the weather does what can happen in November this team will be VERY VERY hard to contain.

To beat Richmond you better have excellent DBs (Higg's got better especially in the 4th but had issues with their passing game) and find a way to pressure the rifle armed accurate QB.

Beating Higginsville bring all the muscle you can muster because MAN do they have huge kids for a C2 program! If, as stated previously, the weather does what can happen in November this team will be VERY VERY hard to contain.
Richmond, LC, BG, (basically everyone) plays either each other? Or plays BO on one side of the district/bracket. Rematches or tough games come districts and beyond.

I’d say LC has a special advantage outside of counting BO in experience and ability. BG is the most possible dangerous team to take that side of the bracket. As long as no big injuries come their way.

Lamar and Seneca are the clear teams and or favorites on the other side. Lamar had a lot to look at after the Seneca loss. A lot left on the field. 5 possible balls to pick up that were left on the field. Bad penalties on 4th down tries when Seneca wasn’t able to move the ball. Kept the defense out more than any defense should be on the field. I don’t think Seneca will have it as easy next time. (Not taking anything away from Seneca vastly improved team from last season. 1,000%)

I want to see how Seneca fairs against Nevada and McDonald County. Lamar has Macdonald County this week. Let’s see what having a healthy line and a RB back (hopefully) this week will do for Lamar against McDonald County.

Last edited:
Richmond, LC, BG, (basically everyone) plays either each other? Or plays BO on one side of the district/bracket. Rematches or tough games come districts and beyond.

I’d say LC has a special advantage outside of counting BO in experience and ability. BG is the most possible dangerous team to take that side of the bracket. As long as no big injuries come their way.

Lamar and Seneca are the clear teams and or favorites on the other side. Lamar had a lot to look at after the Seneca loss. A lot left on the field. 5 possible balls to pick up that were left on the field. Bad penalties on 4th down tries when Seneca wasn’t able to move the ball. Kept the defense out more than any defense should be on the field. I don’t think Seneca will have it as easy next time. (Not taking anything away from Seneca vastly improved team from last season. 1,000%)

I want to see how Seneca fairs against Nevada and McDonald County. Lamar has Macdonald County this week. Let’s see what having a healthy line and a RB back (hopefully) this week will do for Lamar against McDonald County.
Always love teams with special leadership. Check out film/replays of #12 the Higginsville QB. It isn't just power running this kid can flat out throw, too.

Reactions: 503_Maple
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT