ADVERTISEMENT

Finals thoughts

fbguy

Jul 23, 2001
First a shout out to all that were involved in this great game throughout the year, from ADs to chain crews to spectators to parent volunteers to coaches at all levels. A special shoutout to all the kids that played this year through the good times and the bad. You are what make the game what it is. I respect each and every one of you.

Class 6: Congrats to CBC. They have been recognized as being a special group all year and they finished as state champs. Congrats too to LSN, showing that CBC is not really on an entirely different level like many throughout the year have claimed. Congrats to both. We can only hope that the rest of the games are as exciting.

Now on to the weekend games:

Class 4: St. Mary’s v St. Dominic-a AAA conference rematch. Probably not too often 2 teams from the same conference meet in the state finals. St. Mary’s was the big winner the first time these 2 teams met and they’ve been hyped up all year so you would have to say they are the overwhelming favorite. However, most will tell you how hard it is to beat a good team twice in one season. This is also NOT the same St. Dominic that played earlier in the year. The return of Overton gives them a new dimension they lacked the rest of the year. Can St. Mary’s handle the spotlight and not be looking past the Crusaders? Can the Crusaders handle the Dragon’s for 4 quarters? Should be a good one.

Class 2: Blair Oaks v Lamar-Probably the game of the weekend if you ask me. Obviously the focus will be on the vaunted offense of BO led by Hair against the vaunted defense of Lamar. Two storied programs vying for the disputed crown. Awesome stuff. In my mind though, the overlooked secondary question will be how BO’s defense stands up to Lamar’s offense. BO looked good defensively against a young but pretty good offense in Lutheran North earlier in the season. However, they were challenged obviously by the dynamic Bobcats of Bowling Green last weekend. Really looking forward to this one.

Class 5: Francis Howell v Fort Osage-On paper, Francis Howell is probably the favorite. They’ve scored more and given up fewer points than Fort Osage. However, the Indians have some large bodies up front on defense and some dynamic playmakers all over the field. Francis Howell usually has a decided advantage when it comes to special teams but one of the Indian’s playmakers might be the best return man in the history of MO HS football in Lorenzo Fenner. Could be very explosive. Can’t wait.

Class 3: Cardinal Ritter v Reeds Spring-Everybody expected Cardinal Ritter to be here. Not nearly as many would say the same about Reeds Spring. However, Reeds Spring has taken advantage of multiple threats in a more diverse offense while their defense has been serviceable. RS has probably been favored in the playoffs up until this point. That will not be the case this Saturday as they face the offensive 3-headed monster that is Cardinal Ritter led by the infamously named Marvin Burks. I would love for this to be a competitive game and it well could be, but I think ultimately, Reeds Spring’s defense is going to have to be more than serviceable.

Class 1: East Buchanan v Adrian-Again I know very little about these teams or this classification. The defending champion taking on one of the more storied small school programs in the state. East Buchanan’s success has been more recent while Adrian has been absent for a while comparatively. One thing we know though, someone will go home with their 2nd title on Saturday.

Good luck to all.

First a shout out to all that were involved in this great game throughout the year, from ADs to chain crews to spectators to parent volunteers to coaches at all levels. A special shoutout to all the kids that played this year through the good times and the bad. You are what make the game what it is. I respect each and every one of you.

Class 6: Congrats to CBC. They have been recognized as being a special group all year and they finished as state champs. Congrats too to LSN, showing that CBC is not really on an entirely different level like many throughout the year have claimed. Congrats to both. We can only hope that the rest of the games are as exciting.

Class 4: St. Mary’s v St. Dominic-a AAA conference rematch. Probably not too often 2 teams from the same conference meet in the state finals. St. Mary’s was the big winner the first time these 2 teams met and they’ve been hyped up all year so you would have to say they are the overwhelming favorite. However, most will tell you how hard it is to beat a good team twice in one season. This is also NOT the same St. Dominic that played earlier in the year. The return of Overton gives them a new dimension they lacked the rest of the year. Can St. Mary’s handle the spotlight and not be looking past the Crusaders? Can the Crusaders handle the Dragon’s for 4 quarters? Should be a good one.

Class 2: Blair Oaks v Lamar-Probably the game of the weekend if you ask me. Obviously the focus will be on the vaunted offense of BO led by Hair against the vaunted defense of Lamar. Two storied programs vying for the disputed crown. Awesome stuff. In my mind though, the overlooked secondary question will be how BO’s defense stands up to Lamar’s offense. BO looked good defensively against a young but pretty good offense in Lutheran North earlier in the season. However, they were challenged obviously by the dynamic Bobcats of Bowling Green last weekend. Really looking forward to this one.

Class 5: Francis Howell v Fort Osage-On paper, Francis Howell is probably the favorite. They’ve scored more and given up fewer points than Fort Osage. However, the Indians have some large bodies up front on defense and some dynamic playmakers all over the field. Francis Howell usually has a decided advantage when it comes to special teams but one of the Indian’s playmakers might be the best return man in the history of MO HS football in Lorenzo Fenner. Could be very explosive. Can’t wait.

Class 3: Cardinal Ritter v Reeds Spring-Everybody expected Cardinal Ritter to be here. Not nearly as many would say the same about Reeds Spring. However, Reeds Spring has taken advantage of multiple threats in a more diverse offense while their defense has been serviceable. RS has probably been favored in the playoffs up until this point. That will not be the case this Saturday as they face the offensive 3-headed monster that is Cardinal Ritter led by the infamously named Marvin Burks. I would love for this to be a competitive game and it well could be, but I think ultimately, Reeds Spring’s defense is going to have to be more than serviceable.

Class 1: East Buchanan v Adrian-Again I know very little about these teams or this classification. The defending champion taking on one of the more storied small school programs in the state. East Buchanan’s success has been more recent while Adrian has been absent for a while comparatively. One thing we know though, someone will go home with their 2nd title on Saturday.

Good luck to all.
Not to give away my pre-game stuff this Thursday thru Saturday but here are a couple of snippets to watch:

C4 - St. Mary's is not very deep plus I think their D is vulnerable.
C2 - Out of region game between two I have not seen too much of just know its the best on paper matchup of the weekend.
C5 - Fort brought back LOTS of 2021 semifinal experience.
C3 - No added comments as of now. Just flat see too little of both need to catch up on game replays between now and Saturday morning.
C1 - EB no surprise they are back great rushing O and line.

Good luck to all.
And booster club presidents!

Reactions: shoot90draw
Buddy-Garrity-friday-night-lights-5294673-2560-1713.jpg

Now there is a true booster club president willing to give it all up for the team.
This!
giphy-3.gif

Not This!
fdd157a6-52d2-4cb1-9320-6f119dce7799_text.gif
I've said this before and be darned sure I'll say it again. The ONLY place Buddy Garrity is leading a Booster Club is intoTHE GROUND!!!! The dude is a buffoon. A used car charlatan! Someone who CHEATS on his wife!! Also, that footage would NOT hold up in court. Now please direct all questions to MY lawyer! @J.Moxon

Reactions: shoot90draw
I have said this before, but I think East Buchanans versatility will eventually overwhelm Adrian. Also, Adrians stud RB went out before half against MC last week. Adrian is very strong and physical up front but from what I can see on film so is East Buch and they are sporting two giant D tackles for Class 1. I need the overall score of this to be 55 or higher to win a contest I am in, so I hope this thing is a high scoring game!!

Reactions: thetophat2021
I have said this before, but I think East Buchanans versatility will eventually overwhelm Adrian. Also, Adrians stud RB went out before half against MC last week. Adrian is very strong and physical up front but from what I can see on film so is East Buch and they are sporting two giant D tackles for Class 1. I need the overall score of this to be 55 or higher to win a contest I am in, so I hope this thing is a high scoring game!!
Wow you are the contest king!

Reactions: NEMOFball

Good luck to all.

On your Class 5 take, Lorenzo Fenner might not get much of a chance to return kicks because Josh Deal, Francis Howell's kicker finds the endzone on his kicks at least 80% of the time. Should be a good game. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Reactions: Howell20
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT