ADVERTISEMENT

End This Stupid Shutdown

bullitpdq68

Sep 22, 2005
Home of the Cubs!!
This is a pretty good read. Some of the comments are interesting too. One person said if there were 1000's of white rich guys coming thru the southern border daily illegally Democrats would vote to build the wall instantly.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/end-this-stupid-shutdown-11547164885

After 20 years of argument we all kind of know everything about illegal immigration, don’t we? And in a funny way most of us agree on the essentials.

America is for legal immigration, always has been. It is against illegal immigration.

Whether you see what’s happening on the border as a genuine crisis or merely a manufactured one, we agree there’s a problem. Hundreds of thousands of people a year are trying to enter America illegally. We need to make the situation more secure and orderly, less cruel.

Both sides agree the problem has a humanitarian dimension. Democrats speak quickly of women and children being divided and abused once they make it to the border. This is a real problem. Republicans speak of women and children being abused on the way to it. That’s a problem too. There’s a lot of suffering going on.

Both sides agree at least formally that a sovereign nation has a right to have borders, even a responsibility to have them. Borders say here’s where our land stops and yours begins.They say this is where your laws pertain, this is where ours do.

We are nothing without the rule of law. It is what allows America to operate each day.

Almost everyone would agree we have a right to determine the rules by which legal entry is attained. Most Americans would agree it is desirable to set those rules according to the nation’s needs. America is beginning to experience a shortage of registered nurses. Have you noticed? You will. Wouldn’t it be good to address the shortfall through immigration policy, inviting nurses from other countries to become legal residents and citizens? My people, from Ireland, were welcomed because the dynamic America of 1900 needed laborers and domestic workers. That, luckily, is what my people were. Two generations later I worked for an American president. What a miracle this place is. Let’s keep that up, the miracle part.

Those of us who are not politicians agree that neither party has really wanted to solve the problem. Both played it for their own gain, cynically, as if they weren’t even invested in this place. They should be ashamed.

It was not in the interests of the Republican Party to address the border problem because that might leave them open to charges they were driven by questions of race and color. Also their major donors didn’t mind illegal immigration, which was good for business. It’s always convenient when you see things the donors’ way! The affluent and powerful in America enjoy feeling liberal and are uninterested in how poor Americans view chaos (as a threat—America is all they have; they don’t have two passports and a share on a plane) and jobs lost to cheaper labor.

Democrats never intended to control the border because they think doing nothing marks them as the nonracist party, the compassionate, generous party that Hispanics will see as home. They would reap the electoral rewards in a demographically changing country. They will own the future! Their big donors too opposed border strictness. They don’t think about security a lot, even after 9/11. I think it was Murray Kempton who said Republicans are always hearing the creak of the door at night. It’s true. Democrats are less anxious about security. It’s fair to point out they tend to be more affluent and have the protections money can buy. Their fearlessness is not bravery but obliviousness. They off-load anxiety onto Republicans, who are always mysteriously eager to take it up.

I’ll throw in something else I think we agree on. Governing by shutdown is ignorant, cowardly and destructive. It is unjust to the innocent, who are forced to deal with reduced services, closed agencies and missed paychecks. It’s dangerous: Something bad will happen with air security, food inspection—something. It’s demoralizing: It makes America look incompetent in the world, unstable, like an empty adversary and incapable friend. It harms the democratic spirit because it so vividly tells Americans—rubs their faces in it—that they’re pawns in a game as both parties pursue their selfish ends.

And here is the part we won’t all agree on:

The president at the center of this drama is an unserious man. He is only episodically sincere and has no observable tropism toward truthfulness. He didn’t get a wall in two years with a Republican Congress and is now in a fix. He is handling himself as he does, with bluster and aggression, without subtlety or winning ways. He likes disorder.

But the game didn’t start with Donald Trump. Two decades of cynical, game-playing failure produced him.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer have been just as unserious. Brinkmanship and insults—“malice and misinformation,” “soap opera,” “tinkle contest,” “as if manhood could ever be associated with him.” They are playing to their new, rising base and smirking slyly as the bear ties himself in knots. They demanded time to rebut the president immediately after his Oval Office speech. By tradition the networks offer response time after the State of the Union, not after every presidential address. This is because of a certain deference to the office. You allow a president—even if you hate him—to speak in the clear. He’s trying to lead; you let what he says settle in. Then the next day you formally hand him his head. If every presidential address is followed now by swift and furious rebuttal, we’ll never achieve any rough unity again.

In the end Mr. Schumer and Mrs. Pelosi’s speech was no more a success than the president’s: it broke no new ground, didn’t even try to persuade. Trevor Noah caught the mood: They looked as if the hostess at IHOP just told them there’s no senior discount.

Mr. Schumer and Mrs. Pelosi should stop. They should end the drama.

Who cares if it’s a wall, a fence, a bulwark, a barrier, smart tech, increased personnel? Get it done. Climb down. Make a deal.

Who cares how both sides spin the outcome, claim bragging rights, issue the cleverest taunt?

Just solve it. It’s been 20 years.

They should trade better border security for a deal that protects the Dreamers, who were brought here illegally as children. This would actually be good for the country. Not to be irrelevant, just thought I’d note it.

All of Mr. Trump’s foes think they do what they do because of him. Extraordinary circumstances demand extraordinary measures. They become like him to fight him.

But some day Donald Trump will be gone. What will we have then? His tormentors think we’ll go back to normal. We won’t, in part because of how they acted in opposition. They think everyone will revert to courtesies, but they will have killed the old ways.

Mr. Trump never had the power to lower everything. He had the power to lower himself. Everything could be lowered only if he and his supporters plus his opponents decided “everyone into the pool.”

Stop this. It’s embarrassing. And it’s wrong. Make a deal.

Reactions: 73 winch
This is a pretty good read. Some of the comments are interesting too. One person said if there were 1000's of white rich guys coming thru the southern border daily illegally Democrats would vote to build the wall instantly.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/end-this-stupid-shutdown-11547164885

After 20 years of argument we all kind of know everything about illegal immigration, don’t we? And in a funny way most of us agree on the essentials.

America is for legal immigration, always has been. It is against illegal immigration.

Whether you see what’s happening on the border as a genuine crisis or merely a manufactured one, we agree there’s a problem. Hundreds of thousands of people a year are trying to enter America illegally. We need to make the situation more secure and orderly, less cruel.

Both sides agree the problem has a humanitarian dimension. Democrats speak quickly of women and children being divided and abused once they make it to the border. This is a real problem. Republicans speak of women and children being abused on the way to it. That’s a problem too. There’s a lot of suffering going on.

Both sides agree at least formally that a sovereign nation has a right to have borders, even a responsibility to have them. Borders say here’s where our land stops and yours begins.They say this is where your laws pertain, this is where ours do.

We are nothing without the rule of law. It is what allows America to operate each day.

Almost everyone would agree we have a right to determine the rules by which legal entry is attained. Most Americans would agree it is desirable to set those rules according to the nation’s needs. America is beginning to experience a shortage of registered nurses. Have you noticed? You will. Wouldn’t it be good to address the shortfall through immigration policy, inviting nurses from other countries to become legal residents and citizens? My people, from Ireland, were welcomed because the dynamic America of 1900 needed laborers and domestic workers. That, luckily, is what my people were. Two generations later I worked for an American president. What a miracle this place is. Let’s keep that up, the miracle part.

Those of us who are not politicians agree that neither party has really wanted to solve the problem. Both played it for their own gain, cynically, as if they weren’t even invested in this place. They should be ashamed.

It was not in the interests of the Republican Party to address the border problem because that might leave them open to charges they were driven by questions of race and color. Also their major donors didn’t mind illegal immigration, which was good for business. It’s always convenient when you see things the donors’ way! The affluent and powerful in America enjoy feeling liberal and are uninterested in how poor Americans view chaos (as a threat—America is all they have; they don’t have two passports and a share on a plane) and jobs lost to cheaper labor.

Democrats never intended to control the border because they think doing nothing marks them as the nonracist party, the compassionate, generous party that Hispanics will see as home. They would reap the electoral rewards in a demographically changing country. They will own the future! Their big donors too opposed border strictness. They don’t think about security a lot, even after 9/11. I think it was Murray Kempton who said Republicans are always hearing the creak of the door at night. It’s true. Democrats are less anxious about security. It’s fair to point out they tend to be more affluent and have the protections money can buy. Their fearlessness is not bravery but obliviousness. They off-load anxiety onto Republicans, who are always mysteriously eager to take it up.

I’ll throw in something else I think we agree on. Governing by shutdown is ignorant, cowardly and destructive. It is unjust to the innocent, who are forced to deal with reduced services, closed agencies and missed paychecks. It’s dangerous: Something bad will happen with air security, food inspection—something. It’s demoralizing: It makes America look incompetent in the world, unstable, like an empty adversary and incapable friend. It harms the democratic spirit because it so vividly tells Americans—rubs their faces in it—that they’re pawns in a game as both parties pursue their selfish ends.

And here is the part we won’t all agree on:

The president at the center of this drama is an unserious man. He is only episodically sincere and has no observable tropism toward truthfulness. He didn’t get a wall in two years with a Republican Congress and is now in a fix. He is handling himself as he does, with bluster and aggression, without subtlety or winning ways. He likes disorder.

But the game didn’t start with Donald Trump. Two decades of cynical, game-playing failure produced him.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer have been just as unserious. Brinkmanship and insults—“malice and misinformation,” “soap opera,” “tinkle contest,” “as if manhood could ever be associated with him.” They are playing to their new, rising base and smirking slyly as the bear ties himself in knots. They demanded time to rebut the president immediately after his Oval Office speech. By tradition the networks offer response time after the State of the Union, not after every presidential address. This is because of a certain deference to the office. You allow a president—even if you hate him—to speak in the clear. He’s trying to lead; you let what he says settle in. Then the next day you formally hand him his head. If every presidential address is followed now by swift and furious rebuttal, we’ll never achieve any rough unity again.

In the end Mr. Schumer and Mrs. Pelosi’s speech was no more a success than the president’s: it broke no new ground, didn’t even try to persuade. Trevor Noah caught the mood: They looked as if the hostess at IHOP just told them there’s no senior discount.

Mr. Schumer and Mrs. Pelosi should stop. They should end the drama.

Who cares if it’s a wall, a fence, a bulwark, a barrier, smart tech, increased personnel? Get it done. Climb down. Make a deal.

Who cares how both sides spin the outcome, claim bragging rights, issue the cleverest taunt?

Just solve it. It’s been 20 years.

They should trade better border security for a deal that protects the Dreamers, who were brought here illegally as children. This would actually be good for the country. Not to be irrelevant, just thought I’d note it.

All of Mr. Trump’s foes think they do what they do because of him. Extraordinary circumstances demand extraordinary measures. They become like him to fight him.

But some day Donald Trump will be gone. What will we have then? His tormentors think we’ll go back to normal. We won’t, in part because of how they acted in opposition. They think everyone will revert to courtesies, but they will have killed the old ways.

Mr. Trump never had the power to lower everything. He had the power to lower himself. Everything could be lowered only if he and his supporters plus his opponents decided “everyone into the pool.”

Stop this. It’s embarrassing. And it’s wrong. Make a deal.

THis crap is ALL on Congress

The executive branch is required by law to present a budget for the next fiscal year between Jan 1 and the first week of Feb. President Trump the last two years has presented his proposed budget to congress a few days late but pretty much on time.

It is up to Congress to pass budgets for the federal government and present them to the President for his signature, or a veto. 1997 was the last time Congress actually did its job and got a budget agreed upon and presented to the president on time. It is one of the few things Congress is actually required to do by law or the constitution.

Until Congress gets a budget voted on and on Trumps desk for his approval or Veto its all on them.

THis crap is ALL on Congress

The executive branch is required by law to present a budget for the next fiscal year between Jan 1 and the first week of Feb. President Trump the last two years has presented his proposed budget to congress a few days late but pretty much on time.

It is up to Congress to pass budgets for the federal government and present them to the President for his signature, or a veto. 1997 was the last time Congress actually did its job and got a budget agreed upon and presented to the president on time. It is one of the few things Congress is actually required to do by law or the constitution.

Until Congress gets a budget voted on and on Trumps desk for his approval or Veto its all on them.
Until McConnell allows a vote that can't happen. He should let the senate vote on whatever comes to them from the house and let the chips fall where they may. Then it's up to Trump to sign or veto and congress can go from there.

Reactions: TJ_DUB
This is all on Trump and McConnell.

Answer me this, if the wall is so critical and such a great idea, why didnt the Republicans fund it 2 years ago?

This is all on Trump and McConnell.

Answer me this, if the wall is so critical and such a great idea, why didnt the Republicans fund it 2 years ago?

Some politicians are good, some would have voted for it but they don't want to go into large debt over. I think that is the biggest issue with the wall, fence barrier whatever you want to call. How are we going to pay for it when we have so many other needs. I really don't want to add another 5.6 billion to our deficit to build a barrier, but if we could come up with the funding I am not against improving our southern border, I do think we need it.

I still want to know why Trump just won't have Mexico pay for it, he said they would he could end this shutdown real quick if he would just have them fund it like his original plan.

Last edited:
Until McConnell allows a vote that can't happen. He should let the senate vote on whatever comes to them from the house and let the chips fall where they may. Then it's up to Trump to sign or veto and congress can go from there.
Pretty freaking simple.

Some politicians are good, some would have voted for it but they don't want to go into large debt over. I think that is the biggest issue with the wall, fence barrier whatever you want to call. How are we going to pay for it when we have so many other needs. I really don't want to add another 5.6 billion to our deficit to build a barrier, but if we could come up with the funding I am not against improving our southern border, I do think we need it.
The problem is with the $5.6 billion is that this is the first of several instalments.

I think that is his fear is it might pass, but by not bring it up he is also protecting those senators who would not vote for it.

But then you have to ask why doesn't Pelosi bring up a bill to fund the wall and see if it would pass or not? If not hey there you go they tried.

that's not the way it works. House budget goes to the Senate where they make changes and its voted on , if it passes it goes to a combined committee of representatives and senators to work out a compromise, then the final bill is voted on by both bodies then it goes to the president for his signature or veto.

Problem is that hasn't happened for many years and our government has wasted away into backroom closed door "deals" to just keep their own jobs secure

need to fire the entire bunch of them

that's not the way it works. House budget goes to the Senate where they make changes and its voted on , if it passes it goes to a combined committee of representatives and senators to work out a compromise, then the final bill is voted on by both bodies then it goes to the president for his signature or veto.

Problem is that hasn't happened for many years and our government has wasted away into backroom closed door "deals" to just keep their own jobs secure

need to fire the entire bunch of them
How can that happen when McConnell won't even allow a vote on the bill the house sends them? It ain't his job to protect other senators or the president. Vote on the bill and go from there. If it passes why is there any need to go to a committee for changes? Just send it to president and let him sign it or veto it. If they eat to make changes then get on with it but eh won't allow any of that to happen.

Bottom line is the Pubs don't want the wall. They have had plenty of opportunities to vote for 1.6 billion as start up money for wall and didn't do it. Right before the shutdown Mitch passed a bill that would have avoided the shutdown, but Pres. Rush, VP Hannity, and speaker Coulter called Puppet boy out and he folded like a cheap tent. Putin's puppet said he would take credit for the shutdown and he sure as hell is responsible for this one.

Bottom line is the Pubs don't want the wall. They have had plenty of opportunities to vote for 1.6 billion as start up money for wall and didn't do it. Right before the shutdown Mitch passed a bill that would have avoided the shutdown, but Pres. Rush, VP Hannity, and speaker Coulter called Puppet boy out and he folded like a cheap tent. Putin's puppet said he would take credit for the shutdown and he sure as hell is responsible for this one.

Serious question, even if the house votes to fund some sort of barrier, does the Senate have the votes to even pass it? There are some fiscally responsible republicans who would not vote in favor of this last time because they don't want to go into massive debt over this wall/barrier, forget everything else. I mean even when the Pubs owned both branches they could not agree on it and get it passed, so what has changed?

Reactions: vbsideout
How can Trump be responsible when no legislation has ever even made it to his desk??

Budgets for all departments should have been done months ago before it ever became a crisis.

Besides the sun seems to be coming up just fine every morning

How can that happen when McConnell won't even allow a vote on the bill the house sends them? It ain't his job to protect other senators or the president. Vote on the bill and go from there. If it passes why is there any need to go to a committee for changes? Just send it to president and let him sign it or veto it. If they eat to make changes then get on with it but eh won't allow any of that to happen.
Why should a republican controlled Senate accept a budget proposal from the Democratic house when it doesn’t provide the funding they want for projects that need done??

How can Trump be responsible when no legislation has ever even made it to his desk??

Budgets for all departments should have been done months ago before it ever became a crisis.

Holy cow! Do you really mean your last sentence as a way to say you have no sympathy/care about these people not working/working without pay?

Serious question, even if the house votes to fund some sort of barrier, does the Senate have the votes to even pass it? There are some fiscally responsible republicans who would not vote in favor of this last time because they don't want to go into massive debt over this wall/barrier, forget everything else. I mean even when the Pubs owned both branches they could not agree on it and get it passed, so what has changed?
My point exactly. This shutdown is simply another TV reality show for Trump.

I wonder why nothing has reached his desk (mitch ring a bell) and I bet those not getting paid don't think everything is sunshine but carry on with your alternative facts. Kelly Ann would be proud of you,

I wonder why nothing has reached his desk (mitch ring a bell) and I bet those not getting paid don't think everything is sunshine but carry on with your alternative facts. Kelly Ann would be proud of you,

Outside is what many would call an "Internet tough guy".

Holy cow! Do you really mean your last sentence as a way to say you have no sympathy/care about these people not working/working without pay?
Yep that’s exactly what I mean. If people are so careless with their finances that they can’t go 2-3 months without a paycheck they are too stupid to be working for our government in positions of responsibility

I have to ask and not because I am for or against the wall. But when does Pelosi come to the realization that she might not be dealing with rational person on the other side of this shutdown and say hey we the Democrats are going to have to swallow some pride and we will not let this go on any longer and hurt those who have no control over this? I am not trying to say the Dems or Pubs are right either way. I am just asking who is going to nut up and be the party of compassion and say uncle for the 800,000 families affected by this shutdown? At some point the loser of this shutdown might actually turn out to be the winner overall in the eyes of the people. I am just going to go out and say it, I don't think Trump is going to blink his reputation as a person who wrote the art of the deal is on the line here. This is his manhood on the line and I really believe he is willing to keep this government shutdown for months if he has too. So I have to ask which do the dems care more about the 800,000 families affected by this shutdown or making sure Trump does not keep good on a campaign promise to his base? Serious thoughts here, not political rhetoric, what are your thoughts if say 4 weeks from now we are still at this same place, when do the Dems start to think hey we need to throw in the towel for those who are out of work. And before you say why doesn't Trump, I have already said I don't think Trump will walk back on this, I think he wants the wall more than he cares about those 800,000 out of work.

Reactions: hb1025
Yep that’s exactly what I mean. If people are so careless with their finances that they can’t go 2-3 months without a paycheck they are too stupid to be working for our government in positions of responsibility
Wow! I can’t believe you don’t realize there are a lot of people out there who live
paycheck-to-paycheck who are extremely responsible. A bad break for ANYONE can put them into this catagory. Count your lucky stars that you’re not there. Holy cow! Did your daddy give you a “small” loan of a million dollars, too?

Right now, their checks aren't a week late.

Wow! I can’t believe you don’t realize there are a lot of people out there who live
paycheck-to-paycheck who are extremely responsible. A bad break for ANYONE can put them into this catagory. Count your lucky stars that you’re not there. Holy cow! Did your daddy give you a “small” loan of a million dollars, too?
Probably 90% of the country lives paycheck to paycheck! Everytime someone gets a $50 a week pay raise they go get a $50 a week gadget. THAT is irresponsible. Half the people I know make less than me but have twice the stuff. That is asking for problems. People that have government jobs get paid MUCH better than average and KNOW these shutdowns happen. Plan for them.......many do.

Probably 90% of the country lives paycheck to paycheck! Everytime someone gets a $50 a week pay raise they go get a $50 a week gadget. THAT is irresponsible. Half the people I know make less than me but have twice the stuff. That is asking for problems. People that have government jobs get paid MUCH better than average and KNOW these shutdowns happen. Plan for them.......many do.

I count myself as a lucky one, we do okay have money saved back for a rainy day. almost 60% of our yearly salary goes into some sort of savings or retirement fund, I am hoping to retire by 59. But I also remember living paycheck to paycheck, it was nothing we did it was just two young kids who got married and was trying to establish a life together.
Remember it is easy to judge others, but really thru no fault of their own many are still having to work with not pay checks God bless them!! I don't blame them for having to live paycheck to paycheck, and I won't judge them either.

Reactions: MIZZOU71 and TJ_DUB
I have to ask and not because I am for or against the wall. But when does Pelosi come to the realization that she might not be dealing with rational person on the other side of this shutdown and say hey we the Democrats are going to have to swallow some pride and we will not let this go on any longer and hurt those who have no control over this? I am not trying to say the Dems or Pubs are right either way. I am just asking who is going to nut up and be the party of compassion and say uncle for the 800,000 families affected by this shutdown? At some point the loser of this shutdown might actually turn out to be the winner overall in the eyes of the people. I am just going to go out and say it, I don't think Trump is going to blink his reputation as a person who wrote the art of the deal is on the line here. This is his manhood on the line and I really believe he is willing to keep this government shutdown for months if he has too. So I have to ask which do the dems care more about the 800,000 families affected by this shutdown or making sure Trump does not keep good on a campaign promise to his base? Serious thoughts here, not political rhetoric, what are your thoughts if say 4 weeks from now we are still at this same place, when do the Dems start to think hey we need to throw in the towel for those who are out of work. And before you say why doesn't Trump, I have already said I don't think Trump will walk back on this, I think he wants the wall more than he cares about those 800,000 out of work.
I would say they've already waited too long. This is a reality show for Trump. The Pubs don't want this wall. If Pelosi says here is your money if we get something on immigration, we are tired of hurting these people then the Pubs are going to have to vote for a wall they don't want. Then spend the next 2 years pounding the Pubs on this issue and wipe them out in the next election. Like usual I think the Dems are going to over play their hands and screw this up.

I would say they've already waited too long. This is a reality show for Trump. The Pubs don't want this wall. If Pelosi says here is your money if we get something on immigration, we are tired of hurting these people then the Pubs are going to have to vote for a wall they don't want. Then spend the next 2 years pounding the Pubs on this issue and wipe them out in the next election. Like usual I think the Dems are going to over play their hands and screw this up.
Were you employed by the federal government? Raising kids is not cheap but, having the most house you can make a payment on, the best cars you can make payments on, the best phone you can buy, and the biggest cable package you can pay for and "make it" if nothing happens is far more common than scrimping and saving is. People all over the world get by on much less than a government paycheck provides.

Were you employed by the federal government? Raising kids is not cheap but, having the most house you can make a payment on, the best cars you can make payments on, the best phone you can buy, and the biggest cable package you can pay for and "make it" if nothing happens is far more common than scrimping and saving is. People all over the world get by on much less than a government paycheck provides.
That’s true. But aren’t we all a heartbeat away from a major catastrophe that wipes us clean? Some kind of accident, a stroke, heart attack, anything unexpected. Even great insurance doesn’t cover everything, always. At least not to the extent we’d all like.

Reactions: bullitpdq68
Why should a republican controlled Senate accept a budget proposal from the Democratic house when it doesn’t provide the funding they want for projects that need done??
They don't have to accept anything but they should have a chance to reject it and send it back to the house for do over. Their 'leader' will not allow them the opportunity to show where they stand. I think he's afraid it would pass.

They don't have to accept anything but they should have a chance to reject it and send it back to the house for do over. Their 'leader' will not allow them the opportunity to show where they stand. I think he's afraid it would pass.

I agree I think he is afraid this would pass putting the bill on Trumps desk and then if he veto's it he is afraid he would really own it. But his job is not to protect the president, his job is to do his job and bring bills up for a vote.

I agree I think he is afraid this would pass putting the bill on Trumps desk and then if he veto's it he is afraid he would really own it. But his job is not to protect the president, his job is to do his job and bring bills up for a vote.
his job is to bring bills up for a vote that reflect the priorities of the people who elected him and our president, not the democratic party

his job is to bring bills up for a vote that reflect the priorities of the people who elected him and our president, not the democratic party

We will agree to disagree, this is why our government is at a stand still. Neither party wants to work with each other. What would it hurt to bring the bill up to vote, It sounds like you too are afraid it would pass that is why you don't want him to bring it up. One person should not hold this much power unless it is the president vetoing something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT