ADVERTISEMENT

A review of the documentary All the Right Moves.

TheRealJoey

Jul 22, 2021
I started on newspapers as a sportswriter, covering local high-school teams. That was a long time ago, and I had almost forgotten until I saw the documentary “All the Right Moves," how desperately important every game seemed at the time. When the team members and the fans are all teenagers, and when a school victory reflects in a significant way upon your own feelings of worth, when "We won!" means that we won, a football game can take on aspects of Greek tragedy.

"All the Right Moves" remembers the strength of those feelings, but does not sentimentalize them. The movie stars high school senior Stefen Djordjevic, a football player in a small Pennsylvania mill town where unemployment is a way of life. His ticket out of town is a football scholarship to a good engineering school.

The high-school football coach Vern Nickerson, a sort of bullying jerk, also is looking for a ticket, to an assistant-coaching job in a college. On the night of the big game, these two people get into a position where each one seems to have destroyed the hopes of the other. Sometimes high school players make really dumb mistakes, and on that fateful night, Djordjevic really screwed the team and greatly infuriates Coach Nickerson.

The documentary plays this conflict against an interesting background. This isn't another high-school movie with pompom girls and funny principals and weirdo chem teachers. The movie gets into the dynamics of the high-school student body and into the tender, complicated relationship between Djordjevic and his promiscuous girlfriend Lisa Lietzke. After all the junk high-school movies in which kids chop each other up, seduce the French teacher and visit whorehouses in Mexico, it is so wonderful to see a movie again that remembers that most teenagers are vulnerable, unsure, sincere and fundamentally decent. The kid, his girlfriend and all of their friends have feelings we can recognize as real.

The events center around those kinds of horrible misunderstandings. and mistakes that we all remember from high school. A lot of teenagers walk around all day feeling guilty, even if they're totally innocent. Get them into a situation that gives them the appearance of guilt and they're in trouble.

And it is so easy to get into trouble when you are old enough to do wrong but too young to move independently to avoid it. Especially when trouble-making town jerks, like Bosko are around. A lot of kids who say they were only along for the ride are telling the simple truth. The movie frames Djordjevic in a situation like that, one we can identify with. And the situation gets solved through the exercise of genuine human honesty: Two people finally tell each other the truth. This is, of course, an astonishing breakthrough in documentaries about teenagers.

I started on newspapers as a sportswriter, covering local high-school teams. That was a long time ago, and I had almost forgotten until I saw the documentary “All the Right Moves," how desperately important every game seemed at the time. When the team members and the fans are all teenagers, and when a school victory reflects in a significant way upon your own feelings of worth, when "We won!" means that we won, a football game can take on aspects of Greek tragedy.

"All the Right Moves" remembers the strength of those feelings, but does not sentimentalize them. The movie stars high school senior Stefen Djordjevic, a football player in a small Pennsylvania mill town where unemployment is a way of life. His ticket out of town is a football scholarship to a good engineering school.

The high-school football coach Vern Nickerson, a sort of bullying jerk, also is looking for a ticket, to an assistant-coaching job in a college. On the night of the big game, these two people get into a position where each one seems to have destroyed the hopes of the other. Sometimes high school players make really dumb mistakes, and on that fateful night, Djordjevic really screwed the team and greatly infuriates Coach Nickerson.

The documentary plays this conflict against an interesting background. This isn't another high-school movie with pompom girls and funny principals and weirdo chem teachers. The movie gets into the dynamics of the high-school student body and into the tender, complicated relationship between Djordjevic and his promiscuous girlfriend Lisa Lietzke. After all the junk high-school movies in which kids chop each other up, seduce the French teacher and visit whorehouses in Mexico, it is so wonderful to see a movie again that remembers that most teenagers are vulnerable, unsure, sincere and fundamentally decent. The kid, his girlfriend and all of their friends have feelings we can recognize as real.

The events center around those kinds of horrible misunderstandings. and mistakes that we all remember from high school. A lot of teenagers walk around all day feeling guilty, even if they're totally innocent. Get them into a situation that gives them the appearance of guilt and they're in trouble.

And it is so easy to get into trouble when you are old enough to do wrong but too young to move independently to avoid it. Especially when trouble-making town jerks, like Bosko are around. A lot of kids who say they were only along for the ride are telling the simple truth. The movie frames Djordjevic in a situation like that, one we can identify with. And the situation gets solved through the exercise of genuine human honesty: Two people finally tell each other the truth. This is, of course, an astonishing breakthrough in documentaries about teenagers.
Okay. There are some good points in this "review" but the rest is JUNK!!!! "Unemployment" is NOT a way of life here in Ampipe. Living below the poverty line? Sure. But the STEEL MILL is the way of life here!!! And Coach Nickerson and I are NOT jerks!!! NICE TRY!!

mike-gundy.gif

Has it really come to this?
Excuse me? COME to this?? I've been here since 2016! I highly doubt it took SEVER YEARS for it to "come to this". We Doc Guys are apart of MoSports, whether you non-Doc Guys like it or not. Joey took it upon himself to review one of the docs. BIG DEAL! NICE TRY!!

Reactions: shoot90draw
Excuse me? COME to this?? I've been here since 2016! I highly doubt it took SEVER YEARS for it to "come to this". We Doc Guys are apart of MoSports, whether you non-Doc Guys like it or not. Joey took it upon himself to review one of the docs. BIG DEAL! NICE TRY!!
For some reason I am not finding this "documentary" when scrolling through Netflix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is a Doc guy and how do I become one? Do I even want to be one? Would it help or hurt my reputation?
Doc Guy is short for Documentary Guy. There are two ways to become a Doc Guy. You're naturally a Doc Guy or get voted in as an Honorary Doc Guy. Details below.

To be a natural Doc Guy you must;
  1. Be alive
  2. Have starred in a sports documentary
  3. Your profile picture must be of yourself
To become an Honorary Doc Guy you must;
  1. Have a Doc Guy call for a vote. It MUST be a Doc Guy, cannot be an Honorary Doc Guy.
  2. The called vote must be seconded. A Doc Guy and/or Honorary Doc Guy can second a vote
  3. Simply receive a majority of 'Yes' votes over 'No' votes.

Reactions: shoot90draw
Doc Guy is short for Documentary Guy. There are two ways to become a Doc Guy. You're naturally a Doc Guy or get voted in as an Honorary Doc Guy. Details below.

To be a natural Doc Guy you must;
  1. Be alive
  2. Have starred in a sports documentary
  3. Your profile picture must be of yourself
To become an Honorary Doc Guy you must;
  1. Have a Doc Guy call for a vote. It MUST be a Doc Guy, cannot be an Honorary Doc Guy.
  2. The called vote must be seconded. A Doc Guy and/or Honorary Doc Guy can second a vote
  3. Simply receive a majority of 'Yes' votes over 'No' votes.
Sounds like too much work and I would have to actually watch educational shows.

Lisa was the only reason I went to the movie when it came out when I was in high school. I would say the movie was right up there with Hot Dog the movie.

Reactions: Toots_mcgee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT