ADVERTISEMENT

The rules are clear on recruiting high school athletes

metro-dude

Jan 28, 2004
There seems to be some confusion on the eligibility of student-athletes transferring when the parents are employed by a school district. These students are not eligible until proper forms are signed by both the incoming and the old school. The MSHSAA then determines if the students is 1. Fully eligible 2. Partially eligible ( JV teams only ) 3. Not eligible for one year.

The incoming school must request forms from the MSHSAA office if the new student will play on a sports team. The incoming school signs and send to the old school. The old school must sign this form stating the student is in good standing and there was " No Recruiting " involved for the MSHSAA to proceed with the eligibility. Recruiting is when a coach or school official has communicated with a student or parents before enrolling @ a MSHSAA member school. If the old school does not sign the form on recruiting, the student will not be able to participate in sports @ the new school until a court rules.

I think the old school should get the board of education involved before signing or not signing the form particularly if the student or students are transferring to a school who have new transfers on their teams most every year or have low academic standard. It appears to me recruiting is involved if a student is transferring out of a mid-high academic school ( Without moving ) to a very low academic. ( Bottom 2% ) Unless the parent does not love his kid, then that could explain the transfer.

The MSHSAA checks out all complaints of recruiting if the proper forms are signed by the informant. The informant must request this from from the MSHSAA and sign. The MSHSAA will not go forward with any complaint without a signature, the nature of the complaint and name of the school.

School who pay dues to the MSHSAA must play by the guideline of the MSHSAA. Most city schools like Kansas City and St. Louis area do not join the MSHSAA until the 9th grade while school outside these areas start paying dues @ the beginning of the 7 grade. This appears to be a big advantage for the city schools when recruiting students by our private schools. High school like Cape Notre Dame can not recruit students after the 7th grade while CBC and St. Mary's can recruit students before enrolling in the 9th grade.

Boarding schools like Chaminade abides by a different set of rules which give them an advantage.

The above information is in the MSHSAA handbook.

Last edited:
No matter what happens people will lie and cheat to get what they want. Forged rent receipts have been produced by parents in the past to get their child to play where they want them. Until they make a rule that does not allow a transfer no matter what then there will always be ways around it and people will find those ways.

I have found out Metro that 1 of the 3 kids that went to SCC has to sit out a year

Train, can you give more information on why the player is ineligible. Was the transfer from Nixa declared ineligible or was it one of the Sikeston transfers? I'm sure the 90 plus team playing for a state championship in class 1 will have interest. ( Advance, Risco and Winston ) SCC will be forfeiting all games the ineligible player participated in.

Reactions: R22
No matter what happens people will lie and cheat to get what they want. Forged rent receipts have been produced by parents in the past to get their child to play where they want them. Until they make a rule that does not allow a transfer no matter what then there will always be ways around it and people will find those ways.

Hey ballboy81, Did Essex-Richland use a fake " Rent Receipt " sixteen years ago when a Sikeston student-athlete transferred to the high academic Richland? Sikeston lost their case when a questionable paid rent receipt and paid electric bill was produced by the parents who moved to Essex, Missouri. Richland won their district and sectional game that year before being defeated in the quarters. The kid in question received a junior college scholarship offer but I'm not sure what happen after high school.

One average player 6'5" player ( Class 1 ) can sometimes mean the difference of winning a district title instead of going down in the first game in districts.

Last edited:
Metro, I have no idea about the situation you are talking about but I have witnessed students still living with family in old school district but somehow playing for another school because they are "renting a place there." As I said, people will lie and cheat to get what they want and nothing can fix that except requiring them to sit 1 year on any transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT