ADVERTISEMENT

Sectional round games.

mike37

Sep 17, 2001
When will MSHSAA post where the next round games after districts will be played? They have the dates but not location.

Sectionals and quarterfinals are not at neutral sites this year. The even district winner gets the sectionals at home. It's like football.

Reactions: MoSooner69
Glanced at the time/date of the semis and finals. Class 2 is a Wednesday and Thursday. That's super handy for fans and family. Miss a couple days of school/work for travel and the games; then Friday will be really productive following the drive home. I understand MSHSAA has to work with Mizzou, Missouri St, etc for use of these facilities, but I wish they'd better accommodate the "HS" part of "MSHSAA" a little better.

Reactions: Arcola
Here is the driving distance for some games tonight.
Class 1
Delta to Chadwick, 4 hours trip one way
St. Elizabeth to Northeast (Cairo) 1:45
Macks Creek to Liberal 2 hours
Appleton City to Pilot Grove 2 hours
Class 2
Crocker to Norwood
Clopton to Schuyler 2:30 hours
Class 3
Fatima to Mt. View Liberty 2:23
Elsberry to South Shelby 1:40
El Dorado Springs to Pembroke Hill 1:45

MSHSAA has added seating capacity for the home team. Here is the average for each class, the biggest and smallest gym.

Class 1 -691, biggest Liberal-900 and smallest is Pattonsburg-550
Class 2-926, biggest Gallatin-1250 and smallest Tipton-640
Class 3-954, biggest California-1300, and smallest South Shelby 575

Glanced at the time/date of the semis and finals. Class 2 is a Wednesday and Thursday. That's super handy for fans and family. Miss a couple days of school/work for travel and the games; then Friday will be really productive following the drive home. I understand MSHSAA has to work with Mizzou, Missouri St, etc for use of these facilities, but I wish they'd better accommodate the "HS" part of "MSHSAA" a little better.
Instead of doing it at campus site like this just wait to see who is playing and select a geographically sensible neutral site. Logistics there is, of course, arrangement with that site but this could absolutely be done better!

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Here is the driving distance for some games tonight.
Class 1
Delta to Chadwick, 4 hours trip one way
St. Elizabeth to Northeast (Cairo) 1:45
Macks Creek to Liberal 2 hours
Appleton City to Pilot Grove 2 hours
Class 2
Crocker to Norwood
Clopton to Schuyler 2:30 hours
Class 3
Fatima to Mt. View Liberty 2:23
Elsberry to South Shelby 1:40
El Dorado Springs to Pembroke Hill 1:45

MSHSAA has added seating capacity for the home team. Here is the average for each class, the biggest and smallest gym.

Class 1 -691, biggest Liberal-900 and smallest is Pattonsburg-550
Class 2-926, biggest Gallatin-1250 and smallest Tipton-640
Class 3-954, biggest California-1300, and smallest South Shelby 575
Betting that Liberal's gymnasium doubles as a FEMA storm shelter. Memory serves me correctly, they had a big fire at their school a few years ago and that was about the time, post Joplin tornado, that dollars were flowing for those dual-purpose facilities. So hey, after a long drive at least you'll feel safe.

It's a once in a lifetime occurrence, so the families and fans are willing to drive however far it is to support their teams and take the time off of work/school if they can. No easy solutions here... picking more central locations for the schools can't be done on short notice when we don't know who the schools are that will be in the sectionals/quarterfinals and then the host school has to have a big enough gym.

The other solution is to make Missouri a smaller state :D

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
It's a once in a lifetime occurrence, so the families and fans are willing to drive however far it is to support their teams and take the time off of work/school if they can. No easy solutions here... picking more central locations for the schools can't be done on short notice when we don't know who the schools are that will be in the sectionals/quarterfinals and then the host school has to have a big enough gym.

Kane has a great dividing map on the FB board.

Back to matchups: Lathrop and El Dorado Springs should win by double digits tonight THERE is a quarterfinal to go attend this Friday.

Instead of doing it at campus site like this just wait to see who is playing and select a geographically sensible neutral site. Logistics there is, of course, arrangement with that site but this could absolutely be done better!
They had a hard time finding sites last year. Remember all the SWMO teams going to Warrensburg and St. Joe. This was an easy fix. Just have them at home sites. I think its dumb myself. Some people wont even be able to go cause the gyms are going to be packed full. Some of these class 1 and 2 gyms are small.

Reactions: thetophat2021
With MSHSAA TV and other streaming options around these days, people don't have to go to the games. I know it's different than being there, but it is a nice option

They had a hard time finding sites last year. Remember all the SWMO teams going to Warrensburg and St. Joe. This was an easy fix. Just have them at home sites. I think its dumb myself. Some people wont even be able to go cause the gyms are going to be packed full. Some of these class 1 and 2 gyms are small.
Hopefully they will see and analyze what happens this year.

They spread it out cause they are not playing any of the games at the Hearnes Center.

Same as FB then. Count me anything but shocked...............
It's still cheaper than paying for the gas to get to most of the games. I'll happily pay the $10.60 to watch a game I really want to watch while I'm parked on the couch and not dealing with a bunch of people

It's still cheaper than paying for the gas to get to most of the games. I'll happily pay the $10.60 to watch a game I really want to watch while I'm parked on the couch and not dealing with a bunch of people
I'm facing this inevitable dilemma (extreme crowd in person vs. webcast) as the larger schools now enter district play. My current plan is attending the boys C6 D8 semis Saturday then final one week from Tuesday. Probably should camp out at Macken Park the night before each!

Girls have lots of very interesting ones coming up too one of which should be the C5 D8 final right here in Kearney just a six block walk in this spring like weather one week from today unless either Platte County or Smithville stumbles enroute to that showdown.

Looking formful so far tonight. In this region the KCI seemed on the upswing this year that is playing out but both North Platte and Lathrop face tall quarterfinal tasks. Tipton, Eldo Springs and Fair Grove among the very expected winners tonight as well...............

What ever the reason that MSHSAA did this I don't like it. It was awesome when these great games would come to your area. As a fan I will miss that.
I hope it is a "one and done" deal. People need to let them know what they think of this new format.

Any idea why they moved sectional games to Monday? District championship game on Friday and have to turn around and play sectionals on Monday. Has anyone at MSHSAA ever coached before?

Any idea why they moved sectional games to Monday? District championship game on Friday and have to turn around and play sectionals on Monday. Has anyone at MSHSAA ever coached before?
They do that all year. Most girls games are on Monday and Thursdays. How many days do you need off? The Final Four you play back to back days.

Little difference between a sectional game and regular season game. The final four you have time before hand to prepare for multiple teams, not really possible districts week to prepare for possible sectional opponents.

Little difference between a sectional game and regular season game. The final four you have time before hand to prepare for multiple teams, not really possible districts week to prepare for possible sectional opponents.
If you pushed it to Tuesday then you only have 3 day between Sectional and the Quarterfinals.

It also helps the chances to get the best officials... by getting sectionals out of the way on Monday and Tuesday... and Class 5 and 6 Districts not starting until Wednesday...

This is an underrated part of the equation.
You want underrated? What if a school has to seek out a judge to rule on the team's eligibility to play in the next round after it was discovered some starters played in a charity game? That kinda stuff takes time, gotta budget for it!

You want underrated? What if a school has to seek out a judge to rule on the team's eligibility to play in the next round after it was discovered some starters played in a charity game? That kinda stuff takes time, gotta budget for it!
I had honestly almost forgotten that happened. This year. In Missouri.

goodgrief.

• Haha
Reactions: 86THS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT