ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting changes

Pancho and Lefty

Feb 6, 2007
With the changes in the last few years (portal, transfer and immediate eligibility, etc), has it affected how things are done at your school? Seems like the tweener kids are getting less looks and fewer offers. Would be pretty obvious to think a college coach is going to take a more sure thing with a transfer player rather than a HS player. Also, I think the NAIA and D3 schools are starting to price themselves out of practicality and families are starting to wise up and skip the "we are giving you a $10,000 scholarship (now you just have to come up with the other $25,000+).

I am noticing on the basketball front more kids coming out for high school football halfway through, because they are seeing the oldest AAU teams not placing kids. I think Raytown's top player is a 6'3 receiver that just started playing last year. Smart move as he already got an offer from Northern Iowa. Astonishing how many parents continue to pay $3,000-5,000 a year from age 8-18 to play club ball. Literally, they could have paid for 2 years at most state universities.
I could rant about this all day, but I do see the point of view from coaches. They assume now that every freshman will leave after a year, so why waste resources building them up. Don't we run into a numbers shortfall eventually if no one is taking freshmen (especially after the COVID extra years are done this next year)?

Last edited:
There is a pretty cool Twitter thread going

"I just looked at the portal today and there are 4300 baseball players in the portal. 2000 are D1."

• Wow
Reactions: bullitpdq68
With the changes in the last few years (portal, transfer and immediate eligibility, etc), has it affected how things are done at your school? Seems like the tweener kids are getting less looks and fewer offers. Would be pretty obvious to think a college coach is going to take a more sure thing with a transfer player rather than a HS player. Also, I think the NAIA and D3 schools are starting to price themselves out of practicality and families are starting to wise up and skip the "we are giving you a $10,000 scholarship (now you just have to come up with the other $25,000+).
actually my most recent experience was that D2 has priced themselves out of the market. $2500 here or there vs NAIA top programs giving out $20-30k leaving D2 more expensive out of pocket

Scholarship Limits:

FBS - 85 (NIL + or - 20 more)

FCS - 63 (NIL?)

D2 - 36

NAIA - 24 (Come on?)

How are NAIAs doing it?

Scholarship Limits:

FBS - 85 (NIL + or - 20 more)

FCS - 63 (NIL?)

D2 - 36

NAIA - 24 (Come on?)

How are NAIAs doing it?
Not exactly like this in NAIA but not far off: Many will give, like $5,000 scholarship on a tuition that is $30,000. If you look at it like that, you an bring in 6 kids for each "full" scholarship. 6x24= 144 So using that method you can bring in 144 kids. (now I realize it doesnt work EXACTLY like this.... but the general idea is done by many)

Yes that
is how it works. I had a friend that coached naia and they were to bring in a 100 or more kids. They gave 10,000 but tuition was close to 50,000.

Not exactly like this in NAIA but not far off: Many will give, like $5,000 scholarship on a tuition that is $30,000. If you look at it like that, you an bring in 6 kids for each "full" scholarship. 6x24= 144 So using that method you can bring in 144 kids. (now I realize it doesnt work EXACTLY like this.... but the general idea is done by many)
That's why you want to score high on the ACT and keep your grades up so you can also qualify for academic scholarships, you add that money on top of your sports and you can get in for free.

Reactions: Missouri Kid
That's why you want to score high on the ACT and keep your grades up so you can also qualify for academic scholarships, you add that money on top of your sports and you can get in for free.
Totally agree. The vast majority of high school students are going to get more scholarship money from academics than athletics

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT