ADVERTISEMENT

North Kansas City School District

thetophat2021

Jun 14, 2021
Kearney, MO
It ain't just about Oak Park...................Staley, NKC and Tonka all faring very, very well so far.

Vast majority of losses are against each other or out of state absolutely amazing!

Due to weather these may be incomplete but Oak Park is 11-1 no MO losses, NKC 11-2 one MO loss to a very good Battle I got to witness in person at Jewell. Defending C6 champ Staley is actually a darkhorse this year at 9-4 (all four losses to top drawer teams in MO, KS and AR). Winnetonka shows 13-1 (think that is incomplete, though) only loss to aforementioned Staley.

Northmen are in the prestigious Stessman (Liberty) tourney this week. NKC goes to Oak Park in one week. Tonka could run table to a huge one at Grandview Feb 9 and Staley has a favorable schedule until facing NKC Feb 2.

I've seen all of them play. Winnetonka is a solid team. They have good size. Could be a threat in C5 if they are hitting 3s. Have a shot blocker in the paint. They play better as a team than last year. I hope they can make a deep run in C5.
Staley is pretty balanced. They have a kid named Stone that is built like a football player that has been a surprise. I don't think Oak Park is as good as last year and that is only because the older Allen isn't there. I think they would've won state last year, but that Staley team might be one of the greatest to ever come out of KC. They are still very good and could easily be playing for the championship. They don't get rattled and have played together forever.
NKC is the team I think that is a major threat when they are clicking, but I'm not seeing one of the bigs on the roster of late. Parks is 6'5 240 and moves very well. IF they have him along with the 6'9 Dada and those three quality guards they are a problem for a lot of teams. Without the second big though they are not. It is so rare to have two true quality big men at the high school level (see Staley last year). LSW has a lineup that will battle with all these teams in sectionals.
That being said, I think Columbia is having the same type of year as the NKC district. All three C6 schools have very good records and Tolton in C4. The fact that Battle beat NKC by that much at Jewel was surprising. I haven't seen Rock Bridge or Hickman. All three are in the same district in Blue Springs. LOL. Springfield Central is very good.

I've seen all of them play. Winnetonka is a solid team. They have good size. Could be a threat in C5 if they are hitting 3s. Have a shot blocker in the paint. They play better as a team than last year. I hope they can make a deep run in C5.
Staley is pretty balanced. They have a kid named Stone that is built like a football player that has been a surprise. I don't think Oak Park is as good as last year and that is only because the older Allen isn't there. I think they would've won state last year, but that Staley team might be one of the greatest to ever come out of KC. They are still very good and could easily be playing for the championship. They don't get rattled and have played together forever.
NKC is the team I think that is a major threat when they are clicking, but I'm not seeing one of the bigs on the roster of late. Parks is 6'5 240 and moves very well. IF they have him along with the 6'9 Dada and those three quality guards they are a problem for a lot of teams. Without the second big though they are not. It is so rare to have two true quality big men at the high school level (see Staley last year). LSW has a lineup that will battle with all these teams in sectionals.
That being said, I think Columbia is having the same type of year as the NKC district. All three C6 schools have very good records and Tolton in C4. The fact that Battle beat NKC by that much at Jewel was surprising. I haven't seen Rock Bridge or Hickman. All three are in the same district in Blue Springs. LOL. Springfield Central is very good.
Battle is, from what I saw, very balanced and unselfish. Play outstanding team D, too.

February 2 update:

Oak Park 18-1, NKC 16-5, Staley (who won at LSW and NKC this week) 14-5 and Winnetonka 18-3. Utterly amazing...................

Last edited:
Reactions: da bears 25
February 2 update:

Oak Park 18-1, NKC 16-5, Staley (who won at LSW and NKC this week) 14-5 and Winnetonka 17-3. Utterly amazing...................
Travis Neff is one of the best coaches in the country. What Staley did to West exemplifies why he is so good. Their team defense is phenomenal year after year. I still think they would've won state the COVID year and that wasn't with the loaded team they had last year. Very similar to what this year's team has done. I'm surprised he hasn't taken a collegiate job.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Travis Neff is one of the best coaches in the country. What Staley did to West exemplifies why he is so good. Their team defense is phenomenal year after year. I still think they would've won state the COVID year and that wasn't with the loaded team they had last year. Very similar to what this year's team has done. I'm surprised he hasn't taken a collegiate job.
As mentioned before three of them in the same district at NKC! Tonka hosts C5 D8..................

Lees Summit West upset Oak Park by 3 last night.

BTW Top, Ryver Peppers got an offer from Iowa State yesterday.
If Staley and Oak Park rematch (host will, as previously posted, have something to say about that) where will they put everyone? Great win for West...............looking at District 6 that is not a cakewalk given Rock is playing well and rivals Ray Pec and LSN are dangerous on any given night. Winner of that gets another absolute gauntlet in District 5 (looks like Springfield Central-Kickapoo from this distant view).

This week in this district:

NKC should pretty easily win both Tue and Fri.

Staley has a pair of interesting games but should win @LS North Tuesday and hosting Liberty Friday. The latter is a measuring stick game for the Blue Jays chances in district play later this month.

Oak Park, smarting off a loss in the 810Varsity showcase to LS West, should win easily this week but Friday at Father Tolton could be interesting for a bit (check out Tolton's slate it is brutal).

Winnetonka has its biggest C5 measuring stick game of the season Friday at Grandview.

This week in this district:

NKC should pretty easily win both Tue and Fri.

Staley has a pair of interesting games but should win @LS North Tuesday and hosting Liberty Friday. The latter is a measuring stick game for the Blue Jays chances in district play later this month.

Oak Park, smarting off a loss in the 810Varsity showcase to LS West, should win easily this week but Friday at Father Tolton could be interesting for a bit (check out Tolton's slate it is brutal).

Winnetonka has its biggest C5 measuring stick game of the season Friday at Grandview.
NKC did win easily this week. Staley swept as well. Oak Park appears to be having injury issues and is amidst their roughest stretch of the season (at Battle today as noted on another thread). Tonka lost by single digits to a very, very good Grandview last night. Class 5 District 8 shaping up to be which one of Tonka, Smithville, Platte County or Kearney gets hot at the right time.

Hard to believe just two weeks til District playoffs! Tonka hosts Kearney tonight. OP, coming off a rough trip to Columbia, beat Truman easily last night and now collide at NKC with the Hornets Friday. Staley is playing the best of these four and should get two pretty easy wins this week (tonight at down PH South then hosting Lee's Summit).

Cannot wait for C5 and C6 district 8 seedings! Forgot the other day to add Chrisman to the C5 D8 mix they play a strong schedule and could definitely win that district.

District assignments for C5 and C6 D8 are in and no real surprises: C5 at Tonka should be the host Griffs (who lost a narrow one to Ray South last night and are now 20-5) facing the Platte County-Smithville winner in a tossup semifinal while Kearney and Chrisman should pretty easily face off in the other semi a regular season rematch. This district favors Tonka but would not be shocked to see any of those four semifinalists advance to the Quarters.

C6 is everything advertised. The 4-5 is Liberty vs. Park Hill both have shown promise at times this season but the winner is a substantial underdog vs. Oak Park. The other semi is almost prohibitively gonna be Staley vs. host NKC.

Absolutely, definitely attending district and state games this year will have some more in-depth analysis etc. starting with these two districts!

Tonka should win that district. However I believe they would have to go on the road and face the winner of district 7. And I like Raytown, Webb and Grandview all better than tonka. Can’t say much about class 6 as I haven’t seen as many of those teams play. Just my 2 cents.

Tonka should win that district. However I believe they would have to go on the road and face the winner of district 7. And I like Raytown, Webb and Grandview all better than tonka. Can’t say much about class 6 as I haven’t seen as many of those teams play. Just my 2 cents.
They jetted out to a great record a year ago then bowed out to Kearney in District play last year but agree if they are on their game.

Raytown is decent. Haven't seen Webb. Love Grandview. If they don't win D7 then advance to CoMo it will only be because they went cold at the wrong time.

They jetted out to a great record a year ago then bowed out to Kearney in District play last year but agree if they are on their game.

Raytown is decent. Haven't seen Webb. Love Grandview. If they don't win D7 then advance to CoMo it will only be because they went cold at the wrong time.
I have no idea what Belton's story might've been with injuries, but their record is deceiving. They have quality wins in there. Watch out for that potential sleeper in the south C5 district.

Watch out for Chrisman up north in C5. If they can get a couple more guys contributing besides Gayman (who nobody has stopped) and Taylor they could easily win that district. I've seen Tonka when they are firing on all cylinders (draining 3s) and they will be a tough out, but they have some losses and almost losses that cause me pause with their record.

The other C6 district with Columbia and EJC hasn't released yet. There could be an argument for any of the three Columbia schools or BSS to be the one seed. Any of them could win the district. BSS is hosting as well so they will have great fan support.

Oak Park, Staley, NKC is a toss up to me. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Foul trouble could be the differentiator.

I have no idea what Belton's story might've been with injuries, but their record is deceiving. They have quality wins in there. Watch out for that potential sleeper in the south C5 district.

Watch out for Chrisman up north in C5. If they can get a couple more guys contributing besides Gayman (who nobody has stopped) and Taylor they could easily win that district. I've seen Tonka when they are firing on all cylinders (draining 3s) and they will be a tough out, but they have some losses and almost losses that cause me pause with their record.

The other C6 district with Columbia and EJC hasn't released yet. There could be an argument for any of the three Columbia schools or BSS to be the one seed. Any of them could win the district. BSS is hosting as well so they will have great fan support.

Oak Park, Staley, NKC is a toss up to me. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Foul trouble could be the differentiator.
Friday's OP-NKC game absolutely begs rematch with all on the line but I still think Staley is now playing better than both! Among those three watch FTs down the stretch. That may be what swings those titanic games.

Belton lost 4 starters from last years team and I think it just took the kids some time to gel. They are playing much better now and will be competitive.
They open with Webb who also has a really nice team. If Webb takes care of business this week they will enter districts with 20 wins and a 2nd place finish in the COC.

Belton lost 4 starters from last years team and I think it just took the kids some time to gel. They are playing much better now and will be competitive.
They open with Webb who also has a really nice team. If Webb takes care of business this week they will enter districts with 20 wins and a 2nd place finish in the COC.
How do you rate the (perennial) COC champs Nixa compared to recent years?

How do you rate the (perennial) COC champs Nixa compared to recent years?
They are down compared to the last couple years. But their down is still really good. They can play with anyone and they are still deep. They just don’t have the star studded players they’ve had. They just have 9 really good players. (Although some of their younger players may turn into those stud type players soon). If you look at their losses they are all close and to good teams.
Their depth and size is what beat Webb….if only the starters played Webb wins.

They are down compared to the last couple years. But their down is still really good. They can play with anyone and they are still deep. They just don’t have the star studded players they’ve had. They just have 9 really good players. (Although some of their younger players may turn into those stud type players soon). If you look at their losses they are all close and to good teams.
Their depth and size is what beat Webb….if only the starters played Webb wins.
These are the kinds of teams to watch this time of year: Elite programs having "down" seasons by their standards perhaps entering playoffs off the radar which eases pressure on them.

Looking at their slate those two very narrow losses to Kickapoo and SPG Central really stand out. The loss to Parkview would be my "head scratcher" but those can and do happen any season.

Best of luck to Webb next week what a drive up, though! Pembroke is right off the Plaza so book hotel rooms there all will be well..............:)

These are the kinds of teams to watch this time of year: Elite programs having "down" seasons by their standards perhaps entering playoffs off the radar which eases pressure on them.

Looking at their slate those two very narrow losses to Kickapoo and SPG Central really stand out. The loss to Parkview would be my "head scratcher" but those can and do happen any season.

Best of luck to Webb next week what a drive up, though! Pembroke is right off the Plaza so book hotel rooms there all will be well..............:)
Thanks, that drive 🤦‍♂️.
The Parkview loss at home was surprising. But Parkview is good too. They have the kids to make a trip to como in class 5. Should be a fun post season!

Thanks, that drive 🤦‍♂️.
The Parkview loss at home was surprising. But Parkview is good too. They have the kids to make a trip to como in class 5. Should be a fun post season!
You may be right as Parkview earned the 1 seed in C5 D6. Played a very good slate and the losses, by and large, were competitive vs. very good programs in MO and AR. Gotta be honest, though, felt Rolla would earn that seed but it matters not they will likely face off for a berth in the quarters.

Agree! If Rolla and Parkview make the finals of that district should be a good one. The Brown kid at Rolla who is just a sophomore is a good one.

FINAL half week of the regular season (single games all): Staley (20-5) visits Park Hill who gave them a shocking Jan 18 OT loss, their last one. Falcons are rolling should revenge pretty easily. Oak Park (22-3) is hosting Fort Osage now and should win by all they want. NKC (19-6) visits 20-5 Lee's Summit West tomorrow night. Win and all four NKCSD schools are assured 20-win regular seasons!

C5 Winnetonka (20-5) closes tomorrow hosting a pretty down Ruskin the Griffs should win by double digits.

ON to District play next week with some in person game summaries (semis and finals TBD each district)...................

Friday's OP-NKC game absolutely begs rematch with all on the line but I still think Staley is now playing better than both! Among those three watch FTs down the stretch. That may be what swings those titanic games.
Watching on Friday night, the thing that is maybe the biggest challenge OP faces is they must seem disinterested at times. When they turn it on (for example the middle of the 4th quarter) there's no one better. Meanwhile on the girls side I thought it was going to be Liberty North and Staley on a collision course but then Park Hill beat Staley by 15 last night.

Watching on Friday night, the thing that is maybe the biggest challenge OP faces is they must seem disinterested at times. When they turn it on (for example the middle of the 4th quarter) there's no one better. Meanwhile on the girls side I thought it was going to be Liberty North and Staley on a collision course but then Park Hill beat Staley by 15 last night.
On that last note perhaps a case of Staley knowing their seeding and not focusing on the task at hand? The Park Hill boys also upset Staley in a close game back in January. Among all Northland rivalries that is probably the hottest one not discussed much these days.

Agree they are so good they tend to get a bit complacent at times but playoff time and (my God) this district should cure that ill.

FINAL half week of the regular season (single games all): Staley (20-5) visits Park Hill who gave them a shocking Jan 18 OT loss, their last one. Falcons are rolling should revenge pretty easily. Oak Park (22-3) is hosting Fort Osage now and should win by all they want. NKC (19-6) visits 20-5 Lee's Summit West tomorrow night. Win and all four NKCSD schools are assured 20-win regular seasons!

C5 Winnetonka (20-5) closes tomorrow hosting a pretty down Ruskin the Griffs should win by double digits.

ON to District play next week with some in person game summaries (semis and finals TBD each district)...................
Falcons win 52-31 and now officially are arriving at District play red hot!

NKC beats LSW 58-51 so EVERY NKCSD boys basketball team finishes regular season with 20+ wins!!!!!! Easy prediction will be a long time before we see this again.................
Winnetonka closes out its regular season with a 99-69 win over Ruskin with a record of 21-6.

On to district play the opening rounds should be very formful things get much more exciting as the semis arrive both districts' semis will be on Saturday afternoon March 2.

Last edited:
A weird ending to the regular season in C6D7 . Battle loses their final 4 games and I'm guessing the #1 seed falling all the way to 4th. Blue Springs South loses last night to Liberty North and they hadn't lost since Jan 5th. Rock Bridge ended very strong and jumped to the 1 seed. Hickman beat Battle but then lost to Vashon by 27 last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT