ADVERTISEMENT

New Rules

And the majority of flamethrowers are in the bullpen, pitch one inning per night for maybe two nights in a row, and don't pitch for a couple nights. If 29 pitchers topped 100 last yr, that's about one per team. Not arguing there are more that can reach 98-100, there are more players bigger and stronger than ever. No team is using 98mph pitchers for 9 innings every night. And I won't argue that bullpens are much deeper in today's game.

As I've stated, my biggest issue is changing rules because today's game is evolving into home run derby with every hitter trying to pull every pitch over the fence, and the rule changes are rewarding hitters for their inability to use the entire field. I consider that watering down the game.

We all know it's about $$$$. Add more offense and home runs to make the game more exciting for the ADD fans of today.

I'm happy about the pitch clock. IMO that was the biggest reason for the slow pace of some games.

Who is they? I’ve watched 100+ games a year for many years and have never heard anyone say pitchers aren’t really throwing that hard.

If fact:

In the past decade, the number of pitchers who can throw 100 miles per hour or faster has exploded. In 2010, there were just seven pitchers who reached the century mark at least once during the season. By 2018, that number had jumped to 105. And this past season, a record-breaking 29 pitchers topped 100 miles per hour on the radar gun at least once.

So why the sudden influx of flamethrowers? It’s likely a combination of factors, including improved training methods, better understanding of how to throw hard, and of course, the simple fact that teams are now looking for pitchers who can bring the heat.

Whatever the reasons, it’s clear that 100 miles per hour is the new normal for Major League Baseball pitchers. And that’s bad news for hitters, who are now facing an unprecedented number of pitchers who can blow them away with a fastball.
But they did say when they changed where their gun reads the pitch added 2 or 3 mph to the pitch. I don't recall what year that was or who the guys were talking about but I have no reason to make it up, it happened.

But they did say when they changed where their gun reads the pitch added 2 or 3 mph to the pitch. I don't recall what year that was or who the guys were talking about but I have no reason to make it up, it happened.
I remember about 15 yrs ago a new improved radar gun came out. They old gun measured at a specific point in the ball's flight. The new gun measured the ball's entire flight and indicated it's greatest velocity. The ball is gradually slowing down in flight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT