ADVERTISEMENT

New Rules

Toots_mcgee

Nov 10, 2020
Between the bases being bigger and the new limits on pick off attempts, it seems like a Whitey Ball type team would be dominant in 2023.

Along with outlawing the shift, this will reward great athleticism and bring some excitement back to baseball. Your middle infielders need to have range again.

I’m excited.

Reactions: mosofan
I hate any rule changes that tell the defense what they can and can't do. Learn how to hit to the opposite field and lay down a bunt against the shift.

And I guess since the pitcher has thrown over to first twice already, the runner can get a great jump.

Imagine being at the plate and hitting a sinking liner in the gap only to have the ball caught by an infielder. Science was ruining the game. This will return the game to its intended form. Great move MLB!

Imagine being at the plate and hitting a sinking liner in the gap only to have the ball caught by an infielder. Science was ruining the game. This will return the game to its intended form. Great move MLB!

Why do teams use the shift? Because the batter is strictly a pull hitter and has never learned to hit to the opposite field. They pull the ball to hit for power because of MLB's emphasis on home runs. (Same reason teams don't steal, teams play for the big inning instead one run innings. But yet let's change the rules on pickoff attempts). A pure hitter like Stan Musial, Hank Aaron, Pete Rose, Rod Carew, or Tony Gwynn could hit to all fields. Have you noticed teams only apply the shift against certain players? The straight pull hitter has a flaw in their swing. Every time I see the shift on against a left handed batter, I'm wondering why the hell they don't lay a bunt down the 3rd baseline and walk to 1st!! Because nobody bunts anymore.

As Wee Willie Keller said, "Hit it where they ain't!!".

The rule changes are all about adding offense, and thus excitement, to the game to attract younger fans who have the attention span of a 4 yr old and have no appreciation for a 2-1 pitcher's dual.

There are exciting 1960’s 2-1 pitcher’s duels between Gibson and Marichal and then there are 2022 pitchers duels in which five pitchers combine for a one hitter because the starter only goes 5 1/3 and everyone who comes in is throwing 98-102 and the only three outcomes are K, BB, or HR.

The game ain’t the same. The evolution hasn’t been pretty. Time for a fix. More doubles. More triples. Most steals. Save the game from itself.

To the purist, the game isn't broke, and if it ain't broke then don't fix it. It's all about changing rules so teams score more runs. Period.

Reactions: MoSooner69
Purists think it’s awesome to move half your team to a small area of the field based on advanced computer metrics??? Bahahahahaha
Managers should wear lab coats and you call that purist. I literally LOLd.

Purists love taking your starter out with a no-hitter because he has thrown 105 pitches??? Half the team finishes the year with 100 strikeouts at the plate and that is purist?

Today’s game is 100 miles away from baseball’s purest form and this is a market correction.

Hit it where they ain't to the opposite field and it solves the shift and swinging for the fence and whiffings. Notice they don't shift on everyone.

But you say change the rules for the incomplete hitter. Maybe they should throw underhanded or put it on a tee so the short attentive fan can get their instant gratification.

They bring in three relievers in the 7th, 8th, and 9th who all throw as hard as Nolan Ryan did and can pound the inside of the strike zone and you think batters should “go the other way”. Rod Carew couldn’t do that in todays game. Carew today probably wouldn’t get promoted from A ball.

So now that the rules are in place I am looking forward to see Gorman, Burleson, Noot and company perform without the shift.

It also has to help Matt Carpenter return to form and I wouldn’t be shocked if Matt Adams returns to the majors.

I'm sure someone somewhere has figured out how many outs against the shift would have been hits instead. I'd like to see that number.

Reactions: HomeyR
as always another rule change to help the hitters (although I have never been a fan of the shift)
If we want more traditional stuff, lets raise the mound back up.... I know I am in the minority but I love a 1-0 or 2-1 game.

Reactions: kaskaskiakid
I like a 1-0 or 2-1 game if it’s fast moving complete game performances by the starting pitchers. Not 3 hr 20 min bullpen fests. Here is what the shift and advanced metrics have evolved to and it’s boring. Ks, walks and homeruns.

There is one more rule change we all know must be implemented. Imagine being this guy:

I didn't see where the guy was very close to the plate but that should not matter, the plate doesn't move because of where the batter stands.

Those pitches are not border line. One call changes the entire atbat. One atbat can change the entire game. That’s the biggest joke about baseball. Use the damn electronic strike zone. Let the ump keep his job.

Those pitches are not border line. One call changes the entire atbat. One atbat can change the entire game. That’s the biggest joke about baseball. Use the damn electronic strike zone. Let the ump keep his job.
Well we have the pitch clock and the batter has to be 'ready to hit' with 8 seconds on that clock or the ump calls a strike on him. Now we've already had a spring training game end on a called called 3rd strike with the bases loaded and 2 out. How is the umpire going to determine if a batter is 'ready to hit'?
Some guys are in the box with the bat on their shoulder until they see the pitcher in his delivery. Goldy is one of these guys who doesn't stand there ready to swing the bat until the pitcher is actually about to throw a pitch.
I'd say if they have their feet in the box it's on them to be ready, to swing not let the ump decide that.

I guess maybe it’s time to stop unstrapping and restrapping your batting gloves after every pitch whether you swing the bat or not. In other words time for the batters to
grow up.

I think they need to adjust the clock in the 9th inning. Or maybe even turn it off. No one wants to see a game end on a clock violation. I don't mind a little extra time when every pitch has more importance.

I guess maybe it’s time to stop unstrapping and restrapping your batting gloves after every pitch whether you swing the bat or not. In other words time for the batters to
grow up.
I agree but if they step in the batters box the clock should have no bearing on what happens to them. If they're not ready to swing they should not be able to call a strike unless the pitch is a strike.

I agree but if they step in the batters box the clock should have no bearing on what happens to them. If they're not ready to swing they should not be able to call a strike unless the pitch is a strike.
Agreed

Early reports from spring training said games have dropped from 3 hrs to 2:38 with Umpires enforcing the timeclock between pitches.

Reactions: Toots_mcgee
Early reports from spring training said games have dropped from 3 hrs to 2:38 with Umpires enforcing the timeclock between pitches.
25 mins shaved off so far. Would have to think ST games take much longer just because of the number of pitching changes. I'd expect, if they stick to the new rules, that games will be 30+ mins shorter on average. It's a welcome change, IMHO.

Reactions: Toots_mcgee
Yes, but I wish they would have instituted and strictly enforced the pitch clock first before changing the rules on relief pitchers. I always knew the majority of wasted time in baseball was because of the batter and pitcher lollygagging around between pitches. Get in the box and get on the rubber, and quit screwing around between pitches.

Yes, but I wish they would have instituted and strictly enforced the pitch clock first before changing the rules on relief pitchers. I always knew the majority of wasted time in baseball was because of the batter and pitcher lollygagging around between pitches. Get in the box and get on the rubber, and quit screwing around between pitches.
Agreed

Excellent idea!! The ol' slowpitch softball "rover" defense. I wondered if anybody would try it. Make the crybabies change the rules again. Just hit it to the opposite field and it's a stand up double every time. Isn't that offense???

Excellent idea!! The ol' slowpitch softball "rover" defense. I wondered if anybody would try it. Make the crybabies change the rules again. Just hit it to the opposite field and it's a stand up double every time. Isn't that offense???
Yes. Can you send a video of yourself hitting a 97 mph 2 seamer on the inside corner “the other way”

• Haha
Reactions: HomeyR
Players have been hitting to the opposite field since the game was invented. And no pitcher is going to paint a 97mph 2 seamer on the inside corner every pitch. If they do, then pull it over the fence. Quit making excuses for watering down the game so flawed hitters can play too. They are the professionals, not me.

Players have been hitting to the opposite field since the game was invented. And no pitcher is going to paint a 97mph 2 seamer on the inside corner every pitch. If they do, then pull it over the fence. Quit making excuses for watering down the game so flawed hitters can play too. They are the professionals, not me.
In baseballs hay day there was only one guy in the game who could throw 97. It’s just a different world whether you want it to be or not. A sinking line drive in the gap should be a freakin hit. Period.

In baseballs hay day there was only one guy in the game who could throw 97. It’s just a different world whether you want it to be or not

I assume you are referring to Nolan Ryan or JR Richards throwing 97mph, but there were tons of great pitchers in the 60s and 70s, not all could reach 97mph but some could -. Gibson, Koufax, Drysdale, Marachial, Jenkins, Seaver, Carlton, Bunning, Holtzman, Cuellar, the Perrys, the Niekros, Blasingame, McLain, McNally, Sutton, Kaat, Ford, McDowell, Chance, Palmer, Guidry, Tiant, Stottlemeyer, Ellis, Blue, John, Blyleven. Don't try to tell me the pitching is far superior today. If all you got is heat, a real major league hitter will get the timing down quickly.

A sinking line drive in the gap should be a freakin hit. Period.
Unless you hit it there every freakin' time and the defense adjusts,

In football, if a team runs a sweep to the right every play, are you going to adjust your defense to that side. But that's not fair!!! Boo flippin Hoo!!

14 teams hit below .240 last year.
It’s not the quality of starters. It’s how pitching has evolved. Teams study spin rates. Starters throwing all out for 4-5 innings instead of pacing themselves for 8-9 innings. Specialized relievers all throwing major heat pitching one inning each. Computers breaking down everything about hitters, how to attack them, the exact location where they hit the ball.

Changes are/were needed. .240 with lots of Ks against average pitchers is booooring.

All these guys throwing 100 now are not really doing it. They have said many times when they changed where they clock the pitch added 2 or 3 MPH on a fastball. Most of the pitchers now weren't even allowed throw enough pitches to build up their arm strength for that.

Who is they? I’ve watched 100+ games a year for many years and have never heard anyone say pitchers aren’t really throwing that hard.

If fact:

In the past decade, the number of pitchers who can throw 100 miles per hour or faster has exploded. In 2010, there were just seven pitchers who reached the century mark at least once during the season. By 2018, that number had jumped to 105. And this past season, a record-breaking 29 pitchers topped 100 miles per hour on the radar gun at least once.

So why the sudden influx of flamethrowers? It’s likely a combination of factors, including improved training methods, better understanding of how to throw hard, and of course, the simple fact that teams are now looking for pitchers who can bring the heat.

Whatever the reasons, it’s clear that 100 miles per hour is the new normal for Major League Baseball pitchers. And that’s bad news for hitters, who are now facing an unprecedented number of pitchers who can blow them away with a fastball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT