ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri State Bears

Oct 11, 2006
As an alumnus of Missouri State, I'm constantly inundated with requests to donate to the
University...Well, here's my two-cents...

This "rebuilding" year just keeps getting worse. It doesn't even seem like they have a pulse..
Since you technically can't fire the athletes, and we just hired Dave Steckel, what can we do?
My advice is to change the system. Scrap the spread.
Everyone in the Valley already does it..better.
What Valley teams don't see every week is an option offense. Maybe that's the answer..
Especially at this point...what does Missouri State have to loose...

On a side note...I watched Navy beat the hell out of Memphis
[who destroyed the Bears 63-7] running a little thing called flex-bone.
Maybe Missouri State could be the first in the Valley to buy
into this system and kill the spread that has NEVER worked there in 20 years.

As an alumnus of Missouri State, I'm constantly inundated with requests to donate to the

This "rebuilding" year just keeps getting worse. It doesn't even seem like they have a pulse..
Since you technically can't fire the athletes, and we just hired Dave Steckel, what can we do?
What Valley teams don't see every week is an option offense. Maybe that's the answer..

Not going to happen with the current staff, who seems committed to the spread and running short routes for minimal yardage. Stec comes from a spread based school (Mizzou) and the O Coordinator (UNI) as well. They want to run plays fast and play with tempo.

YES

Not going to happen with the current staff, who seems committed to the spread and running short routes for minimal yardage. Stec comes from a spread based school (Mizzou) and the O Coordinator (UNI) as well. They want to run plays fast and play with tempo.

I see them running plays fast and with tempo in series after series of 3 and outs.
I'd find it hard to buy into a system like that. And lets face facts, the offensive
coordinator from UNI simply had better talent in a historically successful program.
It's frustrating to just know...as you walk into Plaster Stadium that the offense will struggle,
and the defense will be left on the field for the majority of the afternoon.

you had your option coach but it wasn't cool enough and you guys fired him, ms use to run the flexbone, and I believe his last year was the last year you guys were in the playoffs, kind of the crap they do there at msu, had a wrestling program that was pretty good and you got rid of it

you had your option coach but it wasn't cool enough and you guys fired him, ms use to run the flexbone, and I believe his last year was the last year you guys were in the playoffs, kind of the crap they do there at msu, had a wrestling program that was pretty good and you got rid of it

I believe you're right. The last time they made the playoffs 1990, Jesse Branch ran the flex bone if memory serves.

I get these same calls and letters asking for money. Personally I believe they should scrap football. It's a joke and I don't think Nick Saban could win there.

There in lies the problem. I think they CAN win.
The issue is how will they win. Defense is not enough. Occasionally they're going to
have to figure out how to put it in the end zone consistently. The spread works if you
have the athletes. I guess that can be said for any offense. However, you can be
more successful with an option attack will lesser athletes. Look at the service academies
like Navy (7-1) and Air Force (6-3).

The thing is that Missouri State actually sits in a hotbed of football talent. They could
get, and probably have secured very talented athletes over the years. However, the
lack of a winning or even competitive tradition, especially in the last 10-15 years has
crippled the program.

And in a town of fair-weather football fans and a student body that packs up and heads
back to St. Louis for the weekend...support dries us quick. Unfortunately boosters and
University officials who could change the tide are just simply dying for the second-coming
of Jackie Styles...not the second-coming of DeAndre Smith.

The game day atmosphere, alone has never been as conducive to student involvement as it is, now. Granted, a huge party just north of the endzone helps but I applaud the University officials for understanding the fact that nothing gets students to congregate at a location better than a big open party. Now, if the Bears can start generating the excitement, I see more of those students actually attending and staying at the game. I'm willing to give Steck the time to do it.

Personally, I hate the spread. Basketball on grass. The town has certainly been fair-weather, I'll grant you that. With the signs of success that Kickapoo and Glendale are showing, that might help.

Reactions: O line wins games
I was responding to the OP by saying that as an alumni I get the same requests and my solution is to scrap the program. It costs the university too much to put such poor results on the field. This program previously hired two coaches who succeeded in the Gateway or Missouri Valley conference and they could do nothing. Stec's results are worse in his first year than either of the previous two coaches and Allen was 2-9 in his first year. He does deserve time, but if he can't win.......The bar is very low at the school, no one wins big at football or basketball, and not many people care about the football program. That field would have made a nice parking garage so that students can make it on time to Pummill Hall or Craig Hall.

Winning fixes alot of problems. We'll see what he can do with a couple of years of building.

You have to believe that there was a "Here's what it's gonna take." conversation with those who hired him. I'm hopeful.

Everyone says Springfield is a basketball town - not football, and maybe that's true. Kickapoo has made a few runs, Nixa the last couple years has been good, I think Ozark and Branson (not really springfield area) have had some success in years past. Seems like generally speaking, the Joplin area has had more historical success in football, where Springfield has been more of a power in basketball.

BUT I will say that the few MSU football games I have been to recently I was impressed with the size of the crowd, including students. Sure, they all left at halftime when the game was already out of hand... but at least they showed up. In basketball last year there were many games where I am not sure there were 2,000 people in JQH. Their new setup is really great and I for one am excited about it. I think fans are ready and eager to come (and stay) to cheer on a team that can compete. They have really improved the experience and the setup and I like where it's headed. The team this year wasn't even remotely competitive but I for one won't make predictions based on a first season. Especially remembering Martins awful first season.

Looks like Mo State men's basketball is going to be just as bad as the football team. Oral Roberts put a beat down on them last night.

55-0 on Saturday. From what I saw, the Bears packed it in way before the Bison hit the field.
Well, on the bright side...there's literally no way to go but up..cuz if there was a rock bottom
in college football the Bears are now legal, deed holding occupiers of that god-for-saken
territory.

There you have it...The News Leader proclaims the Missouri State Bears as the worst
team in division 1 football.
"By the same measure, the Bears earned the unenviable status of worst Division I team in the NCAA. Of the 234 other Division I-A and I-AA college teams, the next worst teams were Mississippi Valley State (1-10), which allowed 3.3 points for every point scored, and Austin Peay State University (0-11), at 3.2 points allowed for every point scored."

I don't know that University is committed enough to football personally they probably should have given coach Roderique a chance at that job they have nothing to lose it was almost a no loss for the President and the athletic director to reach out to coach Roderique give him a shot a lot of people would have said why not Mississippi Mississippi State and Baylor did it as far as high school coaches.

All due respect to Coach Roderique, but let's give Steck a chance, here. Most of us would agree that MSU needed a complete attitude change with regard to football. There definitely has been a change in atmosphere but the complete change needs a couple of years, at best. There are already some good players from both Webb and Lamar on the team, not to mention a particularly good linebacker from Rogersville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT