ADVERTISEMENT

Lacy Stokes

Razzy417

Jan 24, 2007
She's earned the starting point guard spot at MSU.

Will she continue to prove her doubters wrong? She's only 5'4 and has been told she's too small - and/or not a good enough shooter - no matter where she's gone.

Still think Ashton Judd was the biggest recruiting whiff in the history of MSU women’s basketball.

She averaged 7 ppg in extremely limited minutes for most of the season with Mizzou as a true freshman.

Was in double figures in at least 4 or 5 SEC games as a freshman as well.

Still think she would have passed on Mizzou for MSU

I still want to see how she does with the size and speed of D 1 guards.

At this point I woudnt be betting against her. She’s got a massive chip on her shoulder and will be faster/quicker than most D1 players even. And while she may not ever be a great shooter I’m certain she’s putting in the work to get better

Reactions: NOMOCA and mosofan
Still think Ashton Judd was the biggest recruiting whiff in the history of MSU women’s basketball.

She averaged 7 ppg in extremely limited minutes for most of the season with Mizzou as a true freshman.

Was in double figures in at least 4 or 5 SEC games as a freshman as well.

Still think she would have passed on Mizzou for MSU
Maybe she was just saying what she thought people wanted to hear but she said at the SEC coaches meetings that playing at Mizzou was a childhood dream or something to that effect. Some of you technology wizards can probably find and post her interview. After watching her last year I came to envy those WP fans who got to watch her for 4 years.

Maybe she was just saying what she thought people wanted to hear but she said at the SEC coaches meetings that playing at Mizzou was a childhood dream or something to that effect. Some of you technology wizards can probably find and post her interview. After watching her last year I came to envy those WP fans who got to watch her for 4 years.
I’m sure that playing at Mizzou was a dream school for her, but I believe she had also mentioned during her recruitment at some point that she wanted to play at MSU.
Her dad played at MSU-WP & MSU and her mom played vball @ MSU-WP so it was definitely a family thing.
But with Mox on her way out, didn’t even care to look at the locals really.

She took a big jump from her sophomore yr to junior yr, she grew some and became more explosive plus the graduation of other standout players made her more of a focal point.

At this point I woudnt be betting against her. She’s got a massive chip on her shoulder and will be faster/quicker than most D1 players even. And while she may not ever be a great shooter I’m certain she’s putting in the work to get better
I have only seen Stokes play a couple of times. She is a very accomplished player. But to say she will be quicker than most D1 players have ever seen is hard to believe. Maybe she will be, but those D1 guards will be quicker and bigger than most players Stokes has ever seen. If her shooting is only average she is going to struggle on the offensive end. Most guards at D1 are going to be 5'10" or taller, her defenders length is going to cause problems.

On the defensive side, at 5'4" her coach is almost going to have to "hide" her. Most of the players she guards will be able to shoot or pass over her.

I sincerely hopes she does well, leads MSU to the NCAA tournament. But to think a 5"4" D2 transfer is going to transfer to a D1 mid-major and excel is a lot to expect.

Reactions: TadQueasy
I have only seen Stokes play a couple of times. She is a very accomplished player. But to say she will be quicker than most D1 players have ever seen is hard to believe. Maybe she will be, but those D1 guards will be quicker and bigger than most players Stokes has ever seen. If her shooting is only average she is going to struggle on the offensive end. Most guards at D1 are going to be 5'10" or taller, her defenders length is going to cause problems.

On the defensive side, at 5'4" her coach is almost going to have to "hide" her. Most of the players she guards will be able to shoot or pass over her.

I sincerely hopes she does well, leads MSU to the NCAA tournament. But to think a 5"4" D2 transfer is going to transfer to a D1 mid-major and excel is a lot to expect
I actually dont think she will be some big star, but if you look at the NCAA D1 leaders in assists, there are plenty of girls in the 5'2-5'5 range on there

I think she can average 10-12 ppg, 4-5 assists per game and a couple of steals per game. Those are not star numbers, but they are solid.

Yes, she will have to move her game further outside and will have to keep defenses honest by being a 3 pt threat. How much she has improved as a shooter from out there will be a big key to how she does, but shooting is one of the easiest things to improve on in basketball and I'm certain she and the MSU coaches are on it.

And I do think she will be quicker and faster than most D1 guards. The girl is FAST, probably the fastest I've seen in SWMO in recent seasons. But she will run into more girls in D1 that can keep up with her, that is true.

Reactions: NOMOCA
I am not betting against her. I am legitimately curious to see how that goes. I am not being negative about her. I hope she kills it there and we are all celebrating her year

I am not betting against her. I am legitimately curious to see how that goes. I am not being negative about her. I hope she kills it there and we are all celebrating her year
Yeah I am curious too, hence why I started this thread. Hoping she does well for MSU!

Best of luck to her I think she'll be a great addition to the lady bears. Glad to see them with local talent .Maybe that will bring a few more fans

Reactions: mosofan
Yeah I am curious too, hence why I started this thread. Hoping she does well for MSU!
I'm hoping she does well too. I saw a lot of her games at MSSU. She is an extremely hard worker, a very smart player with a huge heart, and a huge chip on her shoulder. She was covered by a lot of bigger guards last year (I know they were D2 guards) and she adjusted well to it as the year went along. She also did very good against Wichita State. I don't expect her to be a huge star either, but think she will be a good contributor. Hope she does well!!! We'll miss her at MSSU!

Reactions: NOMOCA
Missouri State played an exhibition game tonight, losing to Missouri Western 65-57. While the team was not very impressive, Lacy Stokes had a solid game leading the team with 12 points. It will be interesting to see how she performs this year.

Reactions: Arcola and NOMOCA
Stokes beat Western at MSSU multiple times but loses to them at MSU.

Missouri State played an exhibition game tonight, losing to Missouri Western 65-57. While the team was not very impressive, Lacy Stokes had a solid game leading the team with 12 points. It will be interesting to see how she performs this year.
She was 4-12. And completely ineffective.

This is not correct, according to the box score on the Lady Bears website.

She was 4-10 and led the team in scoring with 12 points

The team as a whole shot 20-56 so she actually helped their percentage tonight

MSU didn't have a fg in final 6 min was the problem.Is the girl from ash Grove playing I didn't see her in the box score

This is not correct, according to the box score on the Lady Bears website.

She was 4-10 and led the team in scoring with 12 points

The team as a whole shot 20-56 so she actually helped their percentage tonight

My goodness. Missouri Western?
This is the second D2 team that MSU has lost to in the last few years. They lost to Central Missouri in 2018 before going 25-10 on the year. There is not as large of a talent gap between strong D2 teams and low-to-mid major D1 teams as people like to think. Missouri Western is going to be a strong D2 team this year.

I wasn't there, it's true, but I'll go with what the official box score says, that's what is on the record to be judged by, not someone sitting in the stands keeping stats. I tried doing that while watching Mizzou basketball games as a kid but my stats never seemed to quite match the official ones, lol

Last edited:
Is it possible we just let the young lady get more than one game under her belt with a new team without making a wholesale judgment on her ability to "effectively" play the game of basketball?

Laughable that one game by one player is such a discussion. Let alone the first game of the season.

This is the second D2 team that MSU has lost to in the last few years. They lost to Central Missouri in 2018 before going 25-10 on the year. There is not as large of a talent gap between strong D2 teams and low-to-mid major D1 teams as people like to think. Missouri Western is going to be a strong D2 team this year.
That Lady Bear team was a Sweet Sixteen team. They just stumbled out of the gate and then clicked.

Lacy Stokes had 18 points and 5 assists tonight and the Lady Bears only had 52 points. They won 52-47.

MSU loses to a D2 and then barely beats UALR.
At least the D2 is listed as an exhibition so they’re showing their record at “1-0” 🤣🤣

I’m a lady bear fan, but I gotta say, not a great start to the season at all.

Reactions: TadQueasy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT