ADVERTISEMENT

Grain Valley 10-29 Fort Osage

quadzilla200

Feb 21, 2020
4th time in 2 years these two have played.
Is this Grain Valleys 3rd year in a row in the sectional championship? I think Fort has been to the Final 4 more than anyone except Lamar, Webb and maybe CBC over the last 14 years? Great rivalry game on top of it being sectionals.
Both are playing extremely good football, beaten quality opponents and have gotten stronger throughout the season. I see the winner playing Francis Howell but no idea which one.

Reactions: Fort80
Both teams are playing better than week 1 which is expected of good football teams. Grain Valleys defense is on another level right now. If GV offense doesn't turn the ball over I see GV taking it home. GV QB has to figure out when to throw it away and save it for another play and when he can make something happen.

Reactions: Edgeman3
4th time in 2 years these two have played.
Is this Grain Valleys 3rd year in a row in the sectional championship? I think Fort has been to the Final 4 more than anyone except Lamar, Webb and maybe CBC over the last 14 years? Great rivalry game on top of it being sectionals.
Both are playing extremely good football, beaten quality opponents and have gotten stronger throughout the season. I see the winner playing Francis Howell but no idea which one.
I see the winner playing Dr. Fred and MICDS in the semifinals. I have prepared two very interesting "blast from the past" stories depending on who wins this likely tossup.

Reactions: WaggleQB
Fort-Osage-Indian.jpg

I haven’t liked Fort's play calling at times but I will give credit to Coach Bult in lighting a fire into his teams at halftime. They’ve responded for two years straight and seem to turn it up a notch in the third. Quite remarkable to see it game after game.
The Kearney game caused some injuries early so it took awhile for the QB to heal and the RB was out (which explains the Belton game)
The uptrend really started against Blue Springs. Blue Springs was airing it out in first half and got way ahead. They were playing very well, but this was a Fort loss that really was a win. They came all the way back and took the lead but didn't get the ball last. I think the fact it was against a neighboring school with 900 more students also had to make them feel confident going forward.
I think Grain Valley has had the same experience this season. That win against a much larger and good BSS team was a real eye opener! They haven't been pushed at all because of their schedule the last month where Fort has had to take on NKC and OP 2x each. I don't think that will matter at all though, because this is a rivalry game!

I haven’t liked Fort's play calling at times but I will give credit to Coach Bult in lighting a fire into his teams at halftime. They’ve responded for two years straight and seem to turn it up a notch in the third. Quite remarkable to see it game after game.
The Kearney game caused some injuries early so it took awhile for the QB to heal and the RB was out (which explains the Belton game)
The uptrend really started against Blue Springs. Blue Springs was airing it out in first half and got way ahead. They were playing very well, but this was a Fort loss that really was a win. They came all the way back and took the lead but didn't get the ball last. I think the fact it was against a neighboring school with 900 more students also had to make them feel confident going forward.
I think Grain Valley has had the same experience this season. That win against a much larger and good BSS team was a real eye opener! They haven't been pushed at all because of their schedule the last month where Fort has had to take on NKC and OP 2x each. I don't think that will matter at all though, because this is a rivalry game!
Can Allie and GV break through and finally make a C5 semi? Also tomorrow night will be even colder than last Friday night hard as that may seem to believe. Gusty NW wind also a strong possibility. From what I've seen GV likes to run so this could benefit them. Salient advice for FTO please, please give Fenner all the touches you can!

Can Allie and GV break through and finally make a C5 semi? Also tomorrow night will be even colder than last Friday night hard as that may seem to believe. Gusty NW wind also a strong possibility. From what I've seen GV likes to run so this could benefit them. Salient advice for FTO please, please give Fenner all the touches you can!
No. Fort will win again. They will give Fenner touches. And he will roll.

You sure were right about Kearney catching Fort at the right time (early season). Winner, as posted prior, very likely gets MICDS. If I am reading the bracket correct GV would host but Fort would travel.

You sure were right about Kearney catching Fort at the right time (early season). Winner, as posted prior, very likely gets MICDS. If I am reading the bracket correct GV would host but Fort would travel.
That is frustrating as Fort had to travel last year as well. Fort had more fans (less band) than Holt, but the visitor seating was atrocious for a C5 and Fort fans travel well. I can't imagine MICDS has better seating. Maybe they could move it to CBC. I'm not discounting Cape though which would really suck to drive to.

That is frustrating as Fort had to travel last year as well. Fort had more fans (less band) than Holt, but the visitor seating was atrocious for a C5 and Fort fans travel well. I can't imagine MICDS has better seating. Maybe they could move it to CBC. I'm not discounting Cape though which would really suck to drive to.
Just calling as I see it: If Cape is a part of this quarter come the 4th I would be totally shocked. Smithville has visited MICDS twice since 2018 saw those both I think all the seating is on the same side. Perhaps they put something auxiliary in? Also no lights so it would 100 percent be on Saturday PM unless they move it as you intimated.

As far as Cape goes, anytime they’ve played an actual decent team, they have gotten kicked with the exception of Bluff and they barely got past them both times.

Lost by 40 to Hillsboro
Lost by 21 to Park Hills Central
Lost by 28 to Jackson

Beat 4-win Farmington by 3 points
Beat 6-win Poplar Bluff by 1 TD both times they played.
Beat 3-win Potosi by 1 TD

I’ll be surprised if the turbo isn’t on half way through the 3rd Q

Reactions: thetophat2021
Just calling as I see it: If Cape is a part of this quarter come the 4th I would be totally shocked. Smithville has visited MICDS twice since 2018 saw those both I think all the seating is on the same side. Perhaps they put something auxiliary in? Also no lights so it would 100 percent be on Saturday PM unless they move it as you intimated.
MICDS has seating on only one side and has no lights. The stadium is very nice, just not very big.

Fort O vs GV will be a great one!! Really looking forward to how that plays out. Agreed that if Fort finds a way to get the ball in Fenner's hands, he will be a difference maker.

Last edited:
MICDS has seating on both sides and has no lights. The stadium is very nice, just not very big.

Fort O vs GV will be a great one!! Really looking forward to how that plays out. Agreed that if Fort finds a way to get the ball in Fenner's hands, he will be a difference maker.
The visitor stands must be real small they sure didn't show them as I recall either last year or 2018. The other is this is the Ivy League of STL High Schools no lights??????

As far as Cape goes, anytime they’ve played an actual decent team, they have gotten kicked with the exception of Bluff and they barely got past them both times.

Lost by 40 to Hillsboro
Lost by 21 to Park Hills Central
Lost by 28 to Jackson

Beat 4-win Farmington by 3 points
Beat 6-win Poplar Bluff by 1 TD both times they played.
Beat 3-win Potosi by 1 TD

I’ll be surprised if the turbo isn’t on half way through the 3rd Q
I peeked at that Jackson game. Never a contest.

The visitor stands must be real small they sure didn't show them as I recall either last year or 2018. The other is this is the Ivy League of STL High Schools no lights??????
I edited my post. Seating is only on one side. They have put temporary seating on the other side at times in the past, but not often.

The Running Back Peppers played against Belton early... but he got knocked out in the 1st Half.
Play calling is definitely questionable but they've had enough talent to get by most times. I think this game will be much closer than the first one. 1st game of the year, neither team knew completely what they had or who they were going to be.

They haven't proven thus far to get him enough touches. What makes you think they change all of the sudden? Dude is electric and they just don't get it to him enough. I don't understand why the just don't run Wildcat with him at times.

I think it'll be a very close game....the first game was actually closer than the final score. It'll come down to turnovers imo. The last few weeks Fort just seems to find a way to win. The biggest improvement I've seen on the Fort side the last few games has been their o-line play. It was an issue early in the season. I think GV will need to find a way to have some offensive balance.....can't be one deminsional against Fort imo.

Last edited:
I think it'll be a very close game....the first game was actually closer than the final score. It'll come down to turnovers imo. The last few weeks Fort just seems to find a way to win. The biggest improvement I've seen on the Fort side the last few games has been their o-line play. It was an issue early in the season. I think GV will need to find a way to have some offensive balance.....can't be one deminsional against Fort imo.
Blowout rematch. These almost always either totally flip or are much closer than the first game so agree. Will be concentrating on the LSN-DeSmet game this evening because it is a Semifinal but will peek in at this one and hope quadzilla et al will post live score updates here!

Great writeup by the great Bill Althaus leading into tonight's game.

By Bill Althaus bill.althaus@examiner.net
Grain Valley looks to avenge last year’s quarterfinal loss in burgeoning rivalry with Fort Osage

The Fort Osage and Grain Valley football teams are very familiar with each other.

The Indians and Eagles have met three times over the last two seasons, including this year’s season opener, a 33-14 Fort Osage win, and last year’s Class 5 state quarterfinal.

Now they will face off again for a fourth time in another highly anticipated Class 5 state quarterfinal playoff matchup at 7 p.m. Friday at Fort Osage.

The Indians have won the previous three games against an Eagles team that has won three consecutive district championships. Fort Osage, which beat the Eagles in a tight 9-8 battle in the regular season, claimed a 35-0 win in last year’s quarterfinal in a game that was scoreless at halftime.

“Our games against Fort Osage have really developed into a great rivalry,” Eagles coach David Allie said. “And we’ve got our work cut out for us Friday night. I know it’s an old coaching cliche, but I think the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win the game.

“And they have some game-changers we have to be aware of like (Larenzo) Fenner, who does it all for that team; (Greg) Menne, who is a great team leader; and that sophomore running back (Ryver Peppers) who has had a monster season.

“Then you look at their defense and they’re all playing at such a high level. (defensive back Roman) Tillmon had a big game last week against Oak Park, and it seems like whenever they need to make a big stand, they find a way to make it.”

Grain Valley (9-2), which has won eight in a row, comes into the game following a 43-0 rout of Raytown in the District 7 title game.

Quarterback Caleb Larson got the job done with his legs, running for two touchdowns, and D.J. Harris also scored twice on the ground. Austin Schmitt booted three field goals and the Eagles defense allowed just 110 yards of total offense.

Larson has accounted for 1,825 yards of total offense this season, rushing for 990 and 12 touchdowns and passing for 835 yards and five scores. The Eagles have also relied on a three-headed monster at running back, with Ty Williams (544 yards, 10 TDs), Christian Lanear (532, 6) and Harris (454, 7) sharing the load.

Fort Osage (9-2), which has won seven straight, played one of its strongest second halves of the season in a 44-25 victory over Oak Park in last week’s District 8 final.

The Northmen had 261 yards of offense and running back Travon Pankey had scored three touchdowns in the first half, which Fort Osage led 27-19.

“No coach, no team is better at making halftime adjustments than Coach (Brock) Bult and our team,” said Tillmon, who has 115 tackles, including 15 for loss, and three interceptions this season. “We were ready for the second half, and Oak Park wasn’t prepared for what we were doing.”

The Indians held Oak Park to just 95 yards and one late touchdown in the second half of the win.

“We made some adjustments, but the guys went out and got the job done on the field,” said Bult, who is a Grain Valley graduate.

“It should be a great game against Grain Valley. We’re still looking for our first complete game of the season, and we hope it comes Friday night.”

The Indians have won three consecutive district titles and have an offense always seems to make the big play when it is most needed.

Fenner is one of the premier return men in the state and one of Menne’s favorite targets when he’s throwing the ball with a team-high 673 yards on 48 receptions. Menne, who recently committed to Southeast Missouri, has thrown for 1,243 yards and 17 touchdowns after battling some injuries. Peppers has 1,190 yards rushing, 384 yards receiving and a combined 24 touchdowns. And Xander Shepherd is a weapon in the kicking game, making 9 of 12 field goal attempts, including a 43-yarder, and 47 of 49 extra points.

And the defense, led by senior defensive tackle Brock Branstietter (41 tackles, 11.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks) and sophomore linebacker Anthony Thompson (123 tackles, 14.5 for loss), has continued the great tradition that began years ago when Bult was the defensive coordinator.

The temperature could be in the low 20s for the game, and Bult said the team that can block out that factor will have an edge.

“You can’t go out in a big game like this worrying about the weather,” Bult said. “It’s going to be a physical challenge to stop a great team like Grain Valley, but it’s also going to be a mental challenge, because we haven’t played in this type of cold this season.

“We know what our offense can do, Menne is a great leader and we have a great line and so many offensive weapons that you can’t key on just one guy like Fenner or Peppers.

“And our defense is so young and has just gotten better every game this season. And our special teams have been a big part of our team all season, so we’re going to keep working hard in practice this week and we’re excited about the game.”

GV fumbles on own 10. Roman Tillmon whose been on fire lately scoops up and runs it in.
GVs offens le has been very vanilla and Fenner has been involved whole game w Fort

GV started mixing it up. QB keeper. Got to see fb Allen catch a swing pass. Like a bowling ball knocking over pins

Fenner continues to be the biggest difference in offenses. Both traditional running games being stuffed. GV w that very costly turnover as well

Menne just had a QB run where he drug multiple GV players for 15yds. Quite the sight.

Soph Anthony Thompson a stud. Monster sack on 4th down chasing qb 10yds back and had an Atwater-Okoye stick earlier

I believe the answer is yes no matter the winner. Be forewarned if we are all wrong and Cape Central upsets MICDS that is no trip around the block as all likely know.
I just received word that if MICDS wins tomorrow the Semifinal game will be at FortO. If Cape Central wins the game tomorrow they will host Semifinal game.

Reactions: Fort80
I just received word that if MICDS wins tomorrow the Semifinal game will be at FortO. If Cape Central wins the game tomorrow they will host Semifinal game.
This is the tricky part with these brackets because of the uneven district numbers. You may well be right, upon review, because Fort and MICDS would have each hosted 3 even though MICDS did go on the road to beat Eureka last week. Will have to see what shakes out of the trees tomorrow. I am too beat to go read the MSHSAA rules tonight frankly...........

Country Day wins it's at Fort - both hosted the same amount, both hosted prior round, bottom half tiebreaker. Cape wins it's at Cape due to hosting less games.
Fred back at Fort O. The classic 2011 C5 quarterfinal that Staley barely survived that led to maybe the greatest game ever played in the KC metro the next Friday night vs. LSW. More to come IF MICDS takes care of business tomorrow..............

Reactions: HomeyR and Fort80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT