ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Johnson Webb City

cardsfan200306

Nov 4, 2022
Anyone know the extent of the injury?
Out for a few weeks, whole year or worse?
Who has the scoop

Whole year. Can't start back up until nov. 5th.
Webb has no less then 3 major impact starters out for year and season hasnt started. Multiple other injuries. Other sports are starting to interfere with the boys conditioning.

Webb has no less then 3 major impact starters out for year and season hasnt started. Multiple other injuries. Other sports are starting to interfere with the boys conditioning.
heard the town may be falling in love with baseball more than football. I thought talk like that would get you a one way ticket out of town

Not all heros wear capes....
in living color 90s GIF

Sometimes they wear clown suits.

heard the town may be falling in love with baseball more than football. I thought talk like that would get you a one way ticket out of town
Historically I'd say Webb City was more of a baseball town so it's kind of just going full circle. Football became a big deal in Webb City in the 80s when they started winning, at the time I don't believe they were great at much of anything.

But yeah baseball has become a real big deal there. I know people who have moved (physically or on paper) specifically to get into the baseball programs. Some of them play football as well but some don't. Baseball is a different animal because there is kind of a scarcity mentality regarding the available spots on the team, unlike football. And from what I've heard a lot more politics - probably because of the limited spaces. Football doesn't really have the same dynamic where kids are doing it virtually year round but many kids are going that route with baseball and a few other sports.

Reactions: Veer_left
Historically I'd say Webb City was more of a baseball town so it's kind of just going full circle. Football became a big deal in Webb City in the 80s when they started winning, at the time I don't believe they were great at much of anything.

But yeah baseball has become a real big deal there. I know people who have moved (physically or on paper) specifically to get into the baseball programs. Some of them play football as well but some don't. Baseball is a different animal because there is kind of a scarcity mentality regarding the available spots on the team, unlike football. And from what I've heard a lot more politics - probably because of the limited spaces. Football doesn't really have the same dynamic where kids are doing it virtually year round but many kids are going that route with baseball and a few other sports.
Yep. Baseball players are still playing weekend tourneys even with football practice starting.

but still only 100-200 people show up to home baseball games, 3000-4000 for home football games. Only people who care about baseball are pretty much friends and family of players

but still only 100-200 people show up to home baseball games, 3000-4000 for home football games. Only people who care about baseball are pretty much friends and family of players
It doesn't really make sense to me but it kind of does. It's not varsity baseball that is creating the interest in baseball. My guess is the famous little league draws kids in and once there they form friendships and a family community of sorts that they want to stick with - doing something they love with their friends for a long as possible. It's not so much that their dream is to play WC varsity, the LLWS is the dream, and beyond that its just a desire to stay together and keep playing. Maybe?

It doesn't really make sense to me but it kind of does. It's not varsity baseball that is creating the interest in baseball. My guess is the famous little league draws kids in and once there they form friendships and a family community of sorts that they want to stick with - doing something they love with their friends for a long as possible. It's not so much that their dream is to play WC varsity, the LLWS is the dream, and beyond that its just a desire to stay together and keep playing. Maybe?
Yep I have watched more Webb City baseball with our 12 year olds playing prime time on ESPN over the last 25-30 years than I have watched in person varsity baseball. Will never forget a young WC pitcher live prime time saying "God Damn Dad I am Done"

Yep I have watched more Webb City baseball with our 12 year olds playing prime time on ESPN over the last 25-30 years than I have watched in person varsity baseball. Will never forget a young WC pitcher live prime time saying "God Damn Dad I am Done"
Now that's something to be proud of.

• Haha
Reactions: HomeyR
Webb was smart to stay in Little League. Other towns in the area left that organization

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT