ADVERTISEMENT

Found out something about the night Fred Johnson Broke the scoring record

3Rfan

Aug 23, 2002
that I didn't know. I was there I have told the story about when he hit the shot that broke Roundtree's record and the other coach wanted a T called and I always thought it was Fred's mom that ran on the floor. Fred was in P.B. for one night of the P.B. Showdown a while back and when I said that to one of his old teammates he told me it was actually Bill Roundtree's mom that ran out on the floor. I've told that story wrong all these years. 😊

Reactions: Expect2Win
Coached against Wellsville when Fred and Bill played. I was at Clopton at the time. I was assisting Dale Miller. We had some "barn-burners". We won a couple they won a couple more. Fred's senior year, we beat them in the conference championship game and then they beat us in the sectional game. The year Bill was going to be a freshman at Wellsville, the superintendent ask me if I wanted be the head coach at Wellsville. Needless to say, I said no. I was coaching girls at Clopton and had a daughter that was playing for me. My oldest son played against Fred.

Coached against Wellsville when Fred and Bill played. I was at Clopton at the time. I was assisting Dale Miller. We had some "barn-burners". We won a couple they won a couple more. Fred's senior year, we beat them in the conference championship game and then they beat us in the sectional game. The year Bill was going to be a freshman at Wellsville, the superintendent ask me if I wanted be the head coach at Wellsville. Needless to say, I said no. I was coaching girls at Clopton and had a daughter that was playing for me. My oldest son played against Fred.
~~~~~Interesting history lesson about the Wellsville standouts. Thanks for sharing, Bone... C =)~

I reckon nobody knew Fred would break Bill's record until at least his sophomore year. Coach Barr was assistant at 3R at the time and was from Wellsville and he asked me Fred's senior year if I wanted to go watch the guy that was going break the state scoring record so I went with him. Turned out he was playing against Kevin Reller a 6'4" left hander who I had never heard of before that night. We decided Reller was pretty dang good too so Coach Barr recruited him too. Both both signed at 3R and were big buddies here.

Ole Tom Barr
I haven’t seen him in years.

He went 256-94 as the head coach at Missouri State- West Plains
He helped 3R to win their 2nd a National Championship. He worked very hard at recruiting and got some really good players to come lil ole Poplar Bluff to play Juco ball. Latrell Sprewell was one of em that turned to be pretty good. ☺️ He still lives in West Plains and unless he's moved his backyard bumps up against the golf course there.

You know, Kevin Reller was from Troy. Tom Barr coached at Bowling Green. His team played in a historic game. 6 overtimes against Borgia. District championship or sectional I can't remember now. I got up to leave and stood in the doorway for 6 overtimes. And if I am not mistaken the legendary Borgia coach Ray DeGreef died later that night.

You know, Kevin Reller was from Troy. Tom Barr coached at Bowling Green. His team played in a historic game. 6 overtimes against Borgia. District championship or sectional I can't remember now. I got up to leave and stood in the doorway for 6 overtimes. And if I am not mistaken the legendary Borgia coach Ray DeGreef died later that night.
Yeah the game we went to was at Troy. Didn't know about the coach dying. I got to see some good games and really good players riding around with him on recruiting trips. His daughter turned out to be a pretty dang good player too.

Reactions: marcus_aurelius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT