Neosho (1-6) @ Webb City (5-2)

My picks:
Carthage
Branson
Willard
Republic - Unpopular opinion, I know
Webb City

Reactions: cocfan0439
Carthage - they've established they have been much improved and that they will be more physical than the team they play, just as they've always been known to do. Joplin has the weapons and is big up front, but we've watched teams play controlled football against them, which is exactly what Carthage will do.
Branson - Branson should control this game from start to finish. Has been impressive this season, even in their losses. Ozark is unimpressive and falls lower and lower each week.
Willard - Willard is the better football team. Similar to Branson, they are much improved and have proven that they can stick with some of the best for a little bit. Only beat Republic by one, had a chance to win but missed an XP and Republic didn't let them touch the ball after their last score. Carl Junction can be explosive but it's inconsistent.
Republic - Give me Republic at home on their senior night. Nixa looking for revenge from last season, but if Republic can play their ball-control game, mistake-free football, and get a few stops on defense definitely don't be surprised if they pull this one off. Nixa is very clearly the best team in the league and is explosive as all get out. Their RBs can break one off at any time and they're big and fast everywhere. If Republic limits the big plays, Nixa's offense may struggle on some drives. If you don't have a football game to go to on Friday night, this is clearly the one you need to be at.
Webb City - Blowout here. Neosho may make some big plays here and there but Webb City is coming off a tough loss to Carthage and looking to bounce back.

Last edited:
Carthage at Joplin should be a good one, I see it as a toss up but I'll go with Carthage to edge Joplin and miraculously salvage a winning regular season after dropping the first 3.

Branson - I've only watched them once and they looked decidedly better than in the past. Certainly more dynamic than Ozark which seemed very limited offensively.

Carl Junction - I'm probably wrong but I think Carl Junction puts together 4 solid quarters and edges out Willard in a surprise upset.

Nixa - I think Repmo will be in this but Nixa will be too much. Both teams have some big names and a lot to play for. Would be a very fun one to attend if I were in the area. If Repmo gets it done it will be quite the scene there.

Webb City will run away with this quickly.

Reactions: Craig Hull
Carthage (4-3) @ Joplin (4-3)
Branson (3-4) @ Ozark (1-6)
Carl Junction (1-6) @ Willard (3-4)
Nixa (7-0) @ Republic (6-1)
Neosho (1-6) @ Webb City (5-2)
-Joplin...I think Joplin wins. I'm still not convinced Carthage is very good. But the Webb win surprises me, but maybe not as much as others. I'm still not convinced Webb is very good.

-Branson...They're much improved. Ozark just isn't. Looking back, their only win needed some good breaks along the way. I just would imagine Branson is much better and the only way this one is a game is if Branson turns it over a few times.

-Willard...Too big and too athletic for CJ.

-Nixa...They flex a bit and avenge last year's loss.

-Webb...Short 4th quarter in Webb.

-Joplin...I think Joplin wins. I'm still not convinced Carthage is very good. But the Webb win surprises me, but maybe not as much as others. I'm still not convinced Webb is very good.

-Branson...They're much improved. Ozark just isn't. Looking back, their only win needed some good breaks along the way. I just would imagine Branson is much better and the only way this one is a game is if Branson turns it over a few times.

Carthage is about 4 plays away from being undefeated...so if Carthage isn't very good, neither are Nixa or Republic.

I would say every Carthage game this year has been in doubt starting the 4th quarter

I am completely convinced that Joplin isn't good at all. Particularly the defense.

Reactions: da bears 25
I would say every Carthage game this year has been in doubt starting the 4th quarter
This is true and just the strangest thing to me. That’s why I just don’t think they’re very good. CJ, Ozark, and Neosho shouldn’t be a game in the 4th if you’re very good. Then again, Nixa and REPMO were close losses. And I don’t think anyone would argue those aren’t good teams. And they beat Webb. Granted, I think Webb is a bit more average than most on here do.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
I don't think there are any really bad teams in the COC this year but there is a good chance no one makes it past the quarterfinals either.

I don't think there are any really bad teams in the COC this year but there is a good chance no one makes it past the quarterfinals either.
There's a few really bad (when you consider classification), a few more that aren't good, and then four that are good. Nobody in the really good category in the class they play in, IMHO.

Obviously Webb has been a state contender in C5, as has Carthage. Same can be said for CJ in C4. But honestly, outside of that, it's pretty much lightning in a bottle for the others. None of the C6 schools are ever going to consistently give the really good STL and KC C6 schools a run. It's just a different level.

Reactions: Stimie69er
There's a few really bad (when you consider classification), a few more that aren't good, and then four that are good. Nobody in the really good category in the class they play in, IMHO.

Obviously Webb has been a state contender in C5, as has Carthage. Same can be said for CJ in C4. But honestly, outside of that, it's pretty much lightning in a bottle for the others. None of the C6 schools are ever going to consistently give the really good STL and KC C6 schools a run. It's just a different level.
I think Nixa will eventually be in a state championship in C6. They have one of the best coaches in the area and a ton of talent.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Their junior high talent right now is mid but that probably doesn't matter because lots of people are moving there.

National 100-250 good agree. Wonder why nobody has mentioned or given any info on DE SMET????

I think Nixa will eventually be in a state championship in C6. They have one of the best coaches in the area and a ton of talent.
Right, like I said, lightning in a bottle. Sorta like Joplin a few yrs back. But they’re not going to compete with LSs on the reg.

This is true and just the strangest thing to me. That’s why I just don’t think they’re very good. CJ, Ozark, and Neosho shouldn’t be a game in the 4th if you’re very good. Then again, Nixa and REPMO were close losses. And I don’t think anyone would argue those aren’t good teams. And they beat Webb. Granted, I think Webb is a bit more average than most on here do.
My take on Carthage is they have a few pretty good players and they are getting better and more disciplined and more confident in their roles. As usual they aren't very deep, which could be a problem with Joplin. This group looks a lot like some of the teams from the early/mid 2010s when I first started following them more closely - they were good and won most of their games but a lot of them were decided in the 4Q. Also the COC wasn't as good as it is now. WC was always great. Carthage was always good to very good. Nixa, Willard, Ozark and Neosho would take turns being good to very good.

Webb City honestly didn't look that good to me on Friday. I've watched them a few other times this year and thought they looked better, particularly at Republic. They seemed very one dimensional. Which, often WC looks pretty one dimensional but dominates in that one dimension. Just not on Friday. Did too many of the kids just have their guard down playing a team that lost to Branson? Who knows. It would be out of character for WC to look past any opponent. I will say that those kids on the Carthage team have taken somewhat of a beating with comments like they aren't anything without Luke Gall and how they will be Guidie's first losing team ever or that they will be the first team to lose homecoming in 25 years. People said they would get slaughtered by Webb. So they have been working hard to disprove the naysayers, which I can tell you are great in numbers this year. I was happy for those kids to get a quality win, even if it turns out to be their only one of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT