ADVERTISEMENT

COC Week 4

Eagles_Ball

Dec 19, 2003
Our weekly opportunity for @COCguy to tell us how awesome his picks are :rolleyes:

• Ozark @ Webb
  • Kickapoo @ REPMO
  • Glendale @ Joplin
  • Nixa @ Carthage
  • Lebanon @ Willard
  • Waynesville @ Neosho

• Ozark @ Webb...Webb isn't very good (yeah, yeah they're hurt and banged up and whatever), but they're still a good deal better than Ozark, especially at Webb. Webbies win by at least 2 TDs.
  • Kickapoo @ REPMO...Poo pulled a bit of a shocker in week 3. No chance in week 4. I can see this being competitive for a while, but REPMO will eventually run away and hide. They're too sound to lose to Poo.
  • Glendale @ Joplin...Party starts early at Hacketts! 4th quarter won't take long.
  • Nixa @ Carthage...Carthage has &itch slapped three of the four worst teams in the COC in weeks 1-3. They're going to be on the business end of a &itch slapping this week. I know there are people that think this could be competitive. I just don't see it.
  • Lebanon @ Willard...Leb finally gets their first COC win. Willard is as bad or worse than all of those SPS teams they spent years beating up on in the old OC.
  • Waynesville @ Neosho...Neosho might score 100 if their offense is as good as I think it is. I watched a decent amount of the second half of the Waynesville/Willard game on stream Friday night. Man, Waynesville is BAD. It's hard to believe three schools the size of Willard/Waynesville/Glendale can be this non-competitive against the rest of the conference.
Kind of a stinker week. I'm not sure there will be a game closer than two scores.

Reactions: trumanbulldog42
- Webb, I guess? Ozark isn’t very good, but I thought the same thing about Kickapoo last week. If Webb loses this one too, they really are in trouble.
- Republic, think we find out about where both teams actually stand this week.
- Joplin, Glendale can’t hardly tackle anyone.
- Head says Nixa, heart says Carthage. I think Carthage can score on Nixa, as evidenced by Webb. Question is if Carthage can get a stop on Nixa. The last two Carthage-Nixa games have been close, we’ll see on this one. Agree that Carthage hasn’t exactly faced the best of the COC so far. I’m going to say Nixa, but I hope I’m wrong.
- Lebanon, if Willard only beat Glendale by 2 then they will be in for a long night against Leb.
- Neosho, by as much as they want.

I talked to a couple Webb friends over the weekend and they weren't really sure what to make of the Poo game. Personally I think they are just a bit short handed on experience which is very unusual for Webb City and probably a short lived situation. I think they will beat Ozark by at least 2tds. IF they do by some chance lose to Ozark then they're in a real bad spot. I'm sure Neosho is already smelling blood for next week.

Republic probably by a lot unless Kickapoo just comes out inspired adding adding their names to the list of teams who have beaten Webb City.

Joplin over Glendale.

Nixa beats Carthage. I am in the same camp... some people think Carthage has a chance here but I don't see it. Carthage has beat easy teams. Carthage will probably put up some points but won't be able to stop Nixa the other way. Last year that Rebarra kid ran all over Carthage and I expect the same Friday. Unfortunately I think the reality is that no one with a normal public school roster around here is going to be able to compete with what Nixa has assembled right now.

Lebanon gets their first COC win.

Neosho over Willard by a lot.

• Webb- hopefully
  • REPMO- reality returns for 'Poo.
  • Joplin- Eagles will successfully practice falconry
  • Nixa- hard to tell on score differential
  • Lebanon- Jackets will finally get the W column with a win over a W town.
  • Neosho- long night for the military kids, in travel and in play.

Ozark @ Webb City --> Webb City.. Webb should roll here.. I'm in agreeance, if Webb loses this one they may riot in the streets.
Kickapoo @ Republic --> Republic..The Poo will have momentum, but I feel like Republic is too physical up front for the Chiefs
Glendale @ Joplin --> Joplin.. Joplin by ALOT
Nixa @ Carthage --> Nixa.. I think Nixa rolls, and I think this will be a quick tell on how good Carthage really is.
Lebanon @ Willard --> Lebanon.. Sorry, but Willard is bad. Lebanon gets in the win column on this one.

Waynesville @ Neosho --> Neosho.. Neosho is greatly improved and will handle Waynesville with no issues.

My biggest takeaway so far is this... Besides Nixa, the COC East is not very good. In comparison, most of the talent lies in the West. It will be interesting to see how the records of both sides change when they start playing teams in their division.

East: Kickapoo (1-2) Nixa (3-0) Glendale (0-3) Lebanon (0-3) Ozark (1-2) Waynesville (0-3)

West: Carthage (3-0) Neosho (3-0) Republic (2-1) Webb City (1-2) Joplin (2-1) Willard (2-1)

My biggest takeaway so far is this... Besides Nixa, the COC East is not very good. In comparison, most of the talent lies in the West. It will be interesting to see how the records of both sides change when they start playing teams in their division.

East: Kickapoo (1-2) Nixa (3-0) Glendale (0-3) Lebanon (0-3) Ozark (1-2) Waynesville (0-3)

West: Carthage (3-0) Neosho (3-0) Republic (2-1) Webb City (1-2) Joplin (2-1) Willard (2-1)
The East has four of the worst five teams in the conference. And another that has zero wins, although I think that changes quickly. COC is basically one really good team. A bunch of decent teams. And three or four really bad teams. It's an odd mix.

Reactions: Invalid_67
Our weekly opportunity for @COCguy to tell us how awesome his picks are :rolleyes:

• Ozark @ Webb
  • Kickapoo @ REPMO
  • Glendale @ Joplin
  • Nixa @ Carthage
  • Lebanon @ Willard
  • Waynesville @ Neosho

Eagles_Ball must be upset that he has gotten so many games wrong already.

The Webb game is still shocking. Kickapoo is not a good football team, probably 8th best, just inexplicable for Webb.

Nixa should kill Carthage, but Carthage is very well-coached (assuming he is back this week) and the defensive front for Carthage is strong enough to not just get pushed around the entire time. Nixa hasn't been quite as good defensively this year as I thought they might be.

Will send out picks when I have more time. Quick favorites listed:

Webb as 17 pt favorites
RepMo as 14 pt favorites
Joplin as 31 pt favorites
Nixa as 14 pt favorites
Lebanon as 10 pt favorites
Neosho as 28 pt favorites

So "on paper" none of these games should be close.

if Webb loses this one they may riot in the streets.
The rioting happened when Joplin first started beating them. The time for that is over.

Losing today brings out soul searching and anxiety about the future of the program from what I've seen.

Reactions: NOMOCA
the defensive front for Carthage is strong enough
Agree with you on that. Carthage still seems prone to giving up the big play just like last year albeit not nearly as bad or perhaps they just haven't played anyone decent yet. Carthage goes from playing the worst to the best so it will be interesting to see how those kids adapt (or fold).

I do think Carthage will be able to score at least a few times, but I'll be surprised if Nixa has more than one or two possessions that don't end in a TD.

Webb
Republic
Joplin
Nixa (I don't believe even a Class 6 KC or Stl team can beat Nixa this year)
Lebanon
Neosho

One thing that hasn't been mentioned for this week is that at least in COC land it's looking to be very HOT.
Glad you mentioned it ... I checked forecast this morning and saw highs of 96 Friday, 96 Saturday and 93 on Sunday and was surprised.

Was trying to figure out which games I want to attend Friday and Saturday and I'm not sure 96 at Fred G. Hughes Stadium to watch Northwest Missouri State at Missouri Southern at 2 p.m. is what I want to endure.

Webb beats Ozark... I think. Injury bug sucks for them.

Joplin is putrid this year. Unbelievably, Glendale is putrid-er

Carthage will be the best team Nixa faces this year. Nixa still rolls

Lebanon beats Willard.

Neosho over Waynesville.

Calpreps projections for the week now that they have some data for the current season.
  • Ozark 21 @ Webb 38
  • Kickapoo 14 @ REPMO 28
  • Glendale 0 @ Joplin 42
  • Nixa 48 @ Carthage 21
  • Lebanon 35 @ Willard 17
  • Waynesville 17 @ Neosho 55

Ozark at Webb -- Webb City 27-14
Kickapoo at REPMO -- REPMO 30-17
Glendale at Joplin -- Joplin 35-0
Nixa at Carthage -- Nixa 42-21 (hoping this one will be closer and push both teams)
Lebanon at Willard -- Lebanon 28-13
Waynesville at Neosho -- Neosho 48-12

COC Week 4--

Webb City 28-Ozark 7. It looks like the aberration for Ozark was Week 1. The Carthage loss was predictable, but to not even score against RepMo is inexcusable. Ozark returns their QB and best WR, and cannot score a point against a mid-tier team? Republic had one other shutout since Cornelsen has been at Republic. If Webb doesn't dominate, things will get interesting...but if they do dominate, fans will wonder how the coaching staff didn't get them ready last week.

Republic 35-Kickapoo 14. Kickapoo has been riding high all week...they are the talk of the Springfield area. This will hurt them this week. Furthermore, having to play quality opponents back to back weeks is tough physically on any teams that were in OC. Republic is coming off Waynesville and Ozark and should be fast and physical and win this easily.

Joplin 28-Glendale 7. I don't think Joplin is good. They barely squeaked by a winless Lebanon team and got a Kickapoo team in week 1 that seemed unprepared. However, Glendale is awful.

Nixa 35-Carthage 34. This is going to be a game. Guidie is way better schematically than Nixa. Carthage is good on the defensive front. Nixa will sometimes drop easy throws. The game is in Carthage. However, if you took the best 15 players in this game, 11 or 12 are on the Nixa side, and that will prevail. But does Nixa ever win a big game in any sport? This game isn't big enough for them to lose...they will save that for the playoffs.

Lebanon 42-Willard 28. Willard is pretty feisty on offense...the run defense is awful. Lebanon will give up some big plays, but if they don't turn it over, they probably score every drive of this one.

Neosho 42-Waynesville 14. Happy for Neosho. They decided to invest in sports (especially football) and it has paid off. Glad to see their success and it appears their student body and community are excited about the future of that town.

I need a side wager...Quote this with your answer. I'm SHOCKED at the amount of folks that think Willard stays within 2-3 scores of Lebanon. O/U is 20.5. Quote this and give me an Over or Under.

Nixa 35-Carthage 34. This is going to be a game. Guidie is way better schematically than Nixa. Carthage is good on the defensive front. Nixa will sometimes drop easy throws. The game is in Carthage. However, if you took the best 15 players in this game, 11 or 12 are on the Nixa side, and that will prevail. But does Nixa ever win a big game in any sport? This game isn't big enough for them to lose...they will save that for the playoffs.
SHOTS FIRED 💥💥💥💥💥

COC Week 4--

Webb City 28-Ozark 7. It looks like the aberration for Ozark was Week 1. The Carthage loss was predictable, but to not even score against RepMo is inexcusable. Ozark returns their QB and best WR, and cannot score a point against a mid-tier team? Republic had one other shutout since Cornelsen has been at Republic. If Webb doesn't dominate, things will get interesting...but if they do dominate, fans will wonder how the coaching staff didn't get them ready last week.

Republic 35-Kickapoo 14. Kickapoo has been riding high all week...they are the talk of the Springfield area. This will hurt them this week. Furthermore, having to play quality opponents back to back weeks is tough physically on any teams that were in OC. Republic is coming off Waynesville and Ozark and should be fast and physical and win this easily.

Joplin 28-Glendale 7. I don't think Joplin is good. They barely squeaked by a winless Lebanon team and got a Kickapoo team in week 1 that seemed unprepared. However, Glendale is awful.

Lebanon 42-Willard 28. Willard is pretty feisty on offense...the run defense is awful. Lebanon will give up some big plays, but if they don't turn it over, they probably score every drive of this one.

Neosho 42-Waynesville 14. Happy for Neosho. They decided to invest in sports (especially football) and it has paid off. Glad to see their success and it appears their student body and community are excited about the future of that town.
I am glad to see Neosho doing well also and hope it continues. They had an opportunity to downgrade conferences but instead they opted to continue trying to up their game. I like that and hope it pays off. There is a lot of community support and buy-in there which is not always the case in places that have struggled as they have. Even in some places that have done well.

I hope the Carthage game is as close as you predict. But my gut says it's going to take a recruited private school roster or at least a decent KC suburban C6 to stand against that offense.

I'll give you 6.5 points for whatever you want. Name your price. You've only been wrong once this year. You're obviously the most knowledgeable prognosticator in the thread. This should be easy money for you!

I'll make a suggestion...My post game bill at Coyotes one Friday night.

Reactions: TadQueasy
I hope you're right and its this close but Carthage has played god awful teams and Nixa has curb stomped decent competition so I'm gonna say its closer to a 3 score game but hope I am wrong for entertainment sake

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT