ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Factor

Veerman_12

Aug 30, 2019
NOTE: Public schools are not subject to the Championship Factor. This is for non-public and charter schools only.

First, every non-public and charter school will be placed in a classification for each sport based off its raw enrollment numbers just as every public school. There is no more 1.35 multiplier.

After that, each non-public and charter school athletic program will judged individually and independently of all the other programs within its own school. For example, a school’s football program could be in Class 4 while the basketball program plays in Class 2. It is all based off success over the previous six athletic seasons.

Here is how the point system works:

1. Post-season points
a. District Champion: 1 point
b. State 3rd/4th Place: 2 points
c. State 2nd Place: 3 points
d. State Champion: 4 points
IMPORTANT: Points are not cumulative within each season. Each program will only receive the points for the highest finish. If a team wins a state title it is four points only. You do not add district points on top of the championship.

Here are the plateaus for moving up classifications:

2. Point Totals for Re-Classification:
a. 0 – 2 points: remain classified based on raw enrollment
b. 3 – 7 points: re-classified one class above where classified on raw enrollment
c. 8+ points: re-classified two classes above where classified on raw enrollment

I would’ve like to see the split be 4 & 8 instead of 3 & 8. But this way it will move the STL schools that everyone whines about on(for someone else) at least.

I wonder if anyone wants to do the breakdowns of how this affects private and charter schools.

Also wondering how last year impact the 6 year total for Cardinal Ritter?

Lutheran North will be up 2 classes for at least 3 years, so Class 3 presumably.

Trinity will be up 2 classes for at least 2 years, so Class 4 presumably.

Cardinal Ritter will be up 1 class for at least 2 years, so Class 3 presumably.

Valle Catholic will be up 2 classes for at least 3 years, so Class 3 presumably.

That's all I'm interested in at this time. I did look at Helias, and they won't move up until they have any success moving forward.

Reactions: Keyboard_QB
Lutheran North will be up 2 classes for at least 3 years, so Class 3 presumably.

Trinity will be up 2 classes for at least 2 years, so Class 4 presumably.

Cardinal Ritter will be up 1 class for at least 2 years, so Class 3 presumably.

Valle Catholic will be up 2 classes for at least 3 years, so Class 3 presumably.

That's all I'm interested in at this time. I did look at Helias, and they won't move up until they have any success moving forward.
This coupled with the class changes we keep hearing about could make next year very interesting. 3 and 5 may be the most competitive leaving 2 and 4 wide open. Class 3 would be loaded with Maryville and Blair Oaks both in 3, Lamar could end up on the wrong side of the bubble and also go class 3.

Reactions: Cards1968
Class 3 for probably three years minimum. Early 2010’s they would’ve ran that district. At this point, I would expect they will be top three with Kennett and Park Hills in the mix.

I think it’s unfortunate that a school with 140 kids in it has to play Class 3. I guess we’ll see if Valle finally opens up their enrollment they’ve been keeping down all this time.. lol

Class 3 for probably three years minimum. Early 2010’s they would’ve ran that district. At this point, I would expect they will be top three with Kennett and Park Hills in the mix.

I think it’s unfortunate that a school with 140 kids in it has to play Class 3. I guess we’ll see if Valle finally opens up their enrollment they’ve been keeping down all this time.. lol
Father Nemeth is committed to saving the school and people love him for that. He is the right man for the job right now. More important than a championship football team is the dream of seeing a valid 3A enrollment again. The parish is debt free and they are making major improvements to the school. I saw once where about 50% of the students receive some help with tuition. And I do not know what tuition is. But without students all the improvements are for naught. So I say loosen the purse strings and get more kids in the school. Saving the school is more important than the football team trophies.

Yeah that was really just a joke.. Anybody with a brain knows Valle would take every single kid they could get, I don’t ever see them carrying a legitimate class 2 enrollment ever again

Reactions: Vallegrad2
Yeah that was really just a joke.. Anybody with a brain knows Valle would take every single kid they could get, I don’t ever see them carrying a legitimate class 2 enrollment ever again
I took it as a joke and agree with your assessment that it is an uphill battle for them to grow. Especially when Ste. Gen public is a good school district. And of the outlying parishes in the county, only 2 have grade schools and from what I hear the enrollment there is shrinking. And I don't know of anyone who attended public grade school choosing Valle but the opposite is certainly true.

I took it as a joke and agree with your assessment that it is an uphill battle for them to grow. Especially when Ste. Gen public is a good school district. And of the outlying parishes in the county, only 2 have grade schools and from what I hear the enrollment there is shrinking. And I don't know of anyone who attended public grade school choosing Valle but the opposite is certainly true.
@Vallegrad2 I Coached at Valle during the Fall seasons of 1978, '79, and '80...and the Warriors had about 320-340 students in grades 9-12 back then and were solidly Class 2A in those days.

I then taught and coached at cross town rival Ste. Genevieve public HS for the Fall seasons of '83 through '88. It was sometime in the mid '80's that Valle dropped down to Class 1A. I had some kids on my SG teams whose older siblings went to Valle. You are right....the small parish grade schools started to dry up...and not all of them went to Valle.

We had several good kids from St. Agnes in Bloomsdale that choose Ste. Gen. for H.S. over Valle. I laugh at the outsiders who spout speculation as fact, saying Valle RECRUITS outsiders and that they LIMIT their enrollment to stay down in Class 1.

I have seen it from both sides...and Valle's remarkable success is 100% clean. The have had some very good kids (but really no big time College athletes...the best college players was probably Jeremy Hoog who played at SMS and ironically he has a very athletic son at Valle right now who chooses NOT to play football.

All their players are home grown and from the parish schools within the County. Heck...the last names are largely the same for the past 40-50 years. Tradition, good coaching, solid work ethic, and good local Catholic genetics have led to their success.

Can Valle compete in Class 3? They will be competitive...but it will be very tough to have the same level of post-season success they have had in Class 1...but they won't fall off the map.

My question is this...the largest private schools...how do you keep them in check? None of these rules affects CBC, Rockhurst, or DeSmet as they are in the largest class to begin with.

I don't know the answer...

@Vallegrad2 I Coached at Valle during the Fall seasons of 1978, '79, and '80...and the Warriors had about 320-340 students in grades 9-12 back then and were solidly Class 2A in those days.

I then taught and coached at cross town rival Ste. Genevieve public HS for the Fall seasons of '83 through '88. It was sometime in the mid '80's that Valle dropped down to Class 1A. I had some kids on my SG teams whose older siblings went to Valle. You are right....the small parish grade schools started to dry up...and not all of them went to Valle.

We had several good kids from St. Agnes in Bloomsdale that choose Ste. Gen. for H.S. over Valle. I laugh at the outsiders who spout speculation as fact, saying Valle RECRUITS outsiders and that they LIMIT their enrollment to stay down in Class 1.

I have seen it from both sides...and Valle's remarkable success is 100% clean. The have had some very good kids (but really no big time College athletes...the best college players was probably Jeremy Hoog who played at SMS and ironically he has a very athletic son at Valle right now who chooses NOT to play football.

All their players are home grown and from the parish schools within the County. Heck...the last names are largely the same for the past 40-50 years. Tradition, good coaching, solid work ethic, and good local Catholic genetics have led to their success.

Can Valle compete in Class 3? They will be competitive...but it will be very tough to have the same level of post-season success they have had in Class 1...but they won't fall off the map.

My question is this...the largest private schools...how do you keep them in check? None of these rules affects CBC, Rockhurst, or DeSmet as they are in the largest class to begin with.

I don't know the answer...
I remember when you were at Valle. Valle had some good teams before that time but in my opinion that was the start of Valle's continued success. How well they do in class 3 remains to be seen...maybe do ok with the lesser teams but I remember when we played Lamar when they were winning class 2. Only thing I am sure of is that they will have the support of their fan base.

I agree with your assessment of the large schools who suffer no consequences and along with the rest of the StL private schools are the biggest violators. I say punish the violators!

I had a boss who preached "Excuses satisfy the maker"....if you beat me it must be because you cheated..lol.

Reactions: Graphic Edge Guy
I remember when you were at Valle. Valle had some good teams before that time but in my opinion that was the start of Valle's continued success. How well they do in class 3 remains to be seen...maybe do ok with the lesser teams but I remember when we played Lamar when they were winning class 2. Only thing I am sure of is that they will have the support of their fan base.

I agree with your assessment of the large schools who suffer no consequences and along with the rest of the StL private schools are the biggest violators. I say punish the violators!

I had a boss who preached "Excuses satisfy the maker"....if you beat me it must be because you cheated..lol.
Valle will be fine in class 3 for a few years. Based on the my eye test they would have been a middle of the pack Big 8 team the years they played Lamar. The good news is they will probably be in a winnable district if they have some strong classes. Bad news is, the top of class 3 could become a blood bath with all the changes. You will have to go through Lutheran North, Cardinal Ritter, who ever comes out of the Big 8, most likely Blair Oaks and Maryville, possibly Trinity and Lamar. It could be a tough time to make the jump. I think they will eventually settle in class 2 and probably have a lot of success there. Unfortunately some of the previously mentioned teams could be joining them in class 2 over the next few years.

The Championship Factor or Success factor or whatever we called is Working. " Next Year CBC Will be the Only Private School to Win a State Championship Maybe this year Stamp it"

This coupled with the class changes we keep hearing about could make next year very interesting. 3 and 5 may be the most competitive leaving 2 and 4 wide open. Class 3 would be loaded with Maryville and Blair Oaks both in 3, Lamar could end up on the wrong side of the bubble and also go class 3.
Given the thread topic, just wanted to point out that Blair Oaks is a public school, unless you are saying they are going to class 3 by enrollment?

The Championship Factor or Success factor or whatever we called is Working. " Next Year CBC Will be the Only Private School to Win a State Championship Maybe this year Stamp it"
For whatever reason Lee's Summit North matches up better with them than Liberty North so I wouldn't crown CBC champs just yet..........

Since they start this Success Factor back in 2020. where has Valle and Lutheran North been?. you haven't seen MICDS or Helias dominate Class 5 yet. the private's schools that's winning State Championship's are either schools who has move up 1 Class or in the same class. Cardinal Ritter moves to 4 Next year, i don't see them moving past Quartfinals next year with them have 2-3 D1 recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT