ADVERTISEMENT

Caught Red Handed (St. Pius X Festus)

I think everyone on this thread is forgetting a few things. 1) Its only illegal if you get caught 2) when it comes to rich pricks its always 'rules for thee but not for me'! 3) ALWAYS elect a booster club president, public or private school, who is willing to "play ball".
Marlon Brando Movie GIF

I wasn't condoning using illegal players, just guessing they thought no one would make an issue out of a JV game. If AD is an assistant, then that's another story. Still not the crime of the century.

I bet the Herky kids were just happy they got to play.

Reactions: 65TPT and _slo_mo_
I wasn't condoning using illegal players, just guessing they thought no one would make an issue out of a JV game. If AD is an assistant, then that's another story. Still not the crime of the century.

I bet the Herky kids were just happy they got to play.
If I am a parent of a kid "paying" to go to Pius and expectations were laid out, a forfeited game to a conference opponent is a big deal. Not only does it mess with district points and seeding, but now you have less all-conference nominees at the all conference meeting. I'm sure parents of the Pius kids are expecting these things seeing that that most are paying to play there (can't convince me its for academic purposes only because its not). On top of that, if I was an opposing coach in the conference, any of those stats from the forfeited varsity conference game would no longer count towards all conference awards. Your messing with kids trying to win at all costs.

Lots to hate with privates, but freshman and sophomores playing too many quarters isn't one of them. That's something that happens everywhere public or private. I'd bet it's happening in every single JV and V game in the KCI, SCA, Southwest, MLC, I-70 etc.

If I am a parent of a kid "paying" to go to Pius and expectations were laid out, a forfeited game to a conference opponent is a big deal. Not only does it mess with district points and seeding, but now you have less all-conference nominees at the all conference meeting. I'm sure parents of the Pius kids are expecting these things seeing that that most are paying to play there (can't convince me its for academic purposes only because its not). On top of that, if I was an opposing coach in the conference, any of those stats from the forfeited varsity conference game would no longer count towards all conference awards. Your messing with kids trying to win at all costs.
You don't know much about Pius if you think their number one goal is winning at football. Sorry I am from a couple of miles down the road and they have always been bad. It is a volleyball school. They played kids to much and that is a safety issue. It was wrong and they got caught. Unfortunately this happens all the time in both public and private and people don't report it. Or actually don't care enough to report it.

Reactions: HomeyR and Stagolee
Lots to hate with privates, but freshman and sophomores playing too many quarters isn't one of them. That's something that happens everywhere public or private. I'd bet it's happening in every single JV and V game in the KCI, SCA, Southwest, MLC, I-70 etc.
I know for a fact that it happens in the Big 8, seen it this year! Not a big deal to me!

Unfortunately this happens all the time in both public and private and people don't report it. Or actually don't care enough to report it.
In addition to simply not reporting or caring enough, another tactic is to make the reporting EXTREMELY difficult. NOT convenient. That instantly weeds out those who might be teetering on reporting in the first place. Helps keep your "investment" protected.

This thread has been great!

Yes it happens everywhere with freshmen and sophomores but the point was that its kids that have started and played all 4 quarters of every single varsity game according to Herculaneum parents. There's a big difference in that vs a kid that is a special teams only kid in varsity games and only plays in the second half of blowout victories Friday nights. People let it slide with kids that aren't necessarily "impactful Friday night players" for various reasons but doing so with a legitimate varsity starter is not a smart move for a number of reasons. If it was a public school doing it and people were made aware I would hope the same would be said about them as well. Rules is rules and they are there for a reason. Follow them. And if they have a former AD on their staff as well that just makes this that much more silly.

You don't know much about Pius if you think their number one goal is winning at football. Sorry I am from a couple of miles down the road and they have always been bad. It is a volleyball school. They played kids to much and that is a safety issue. It was wrong and they got caught. Unfortunately this happens all the time in both public and private and people don't report it. Or actually don't care enough to report it.
I believe rules should always be followed but in this case I question whether the rule is necessary for safety of the player. I went to a small school where for practice purposes freshmen participated with the varsity. As I remember, practice was a lot more rigorous and collisions much more violent than any j v game I ever played in. I understand that an absolute stud should not play down because that is like varsity on freshmen. Comes down to a coaches common sense I guess. Why risk a stud in a j v game?

Reactions: HHSX2
If you're paying to send your kid to St Pius for football reasons, you might want to rethink that.

Reactions: OldeCoach
I believe rules should always be followed but in this case I question whether the rule is necessary for safety of the player. I went to a small school where for practice purposes freshmen participated with the varsity. As I remember, practice was a lot more rigorous and collisions much more violent than any j v game I ever played in. I understand that an absolute stud should not play down because that is like varsity on freshmen. Comes down to a coaches common sense I guess. Why risk a stud in a j v game?

In the day and age of more heat awareness, no / limited contact for the first 5 days of practice, essentially no 2 a days anymore, concussion protocol, etc., limiting quarters for safety sake is just the way it is. As many have said, in the old days teams did it a ton, and prob still do. Also agree big difference if younger kids are only on special teams, or playing in mop up time with a running clock.

Again, rules are rules though, and if you are ignoring a little rule, one would assume you are ignoring big rules as well.

where would they send them in that area?
They stay in public schools in Jeff county for football. I know you want me to tell you Valle but when I went to school no one from the area went south. Most just took their lumps if they wanted a private education and went to Pius. Could have changed in the last 20 years or so.

They stay in public schools in Jeff county for football. I know you want me to tell you Valle but when I went to school no one from the area went south. Most just took their lumps if they wanted a private education and went to Pius. Could have changed in the last 20 years or so.
I wouldn't necessarily say "took their lumps" by staying in public schools in the county. You have had several teams in the area do pretty well in the playoffs in the last 10 or so years including 2 final four runs by two different public schools in the county. In my opinion if you want to go to a private school then you should absolutely go for it. But if the private schools start to play by a different set of rules athletically I think its a good thing for public schools to keep them in check with what they can do. High school sports are not a pay to play/be good league like little league football can be. That's exactly why MSHSAA has rules. Also you start risking the safety of kids that honestly don't know any better yet. The adults are trusted to guide the kids to be better people and make the right choices. Not throw caution to the wind and do anything to stroke their egos.

Reactions: mosofan
I find it odd people would pay to send their kids to a school for football.

This wouldn't surprise me watched St.pius a few years back and they did the same thing a lot of the kids who played on Friday played on Monday too

I wouldn't necessarily say "took their lumps" by staying in public schools in the county. You have had several teams in the area do pretty well in the playoffs in the last 10 or so years including 2 final four runs by two different public schools in the county. In my opinion if you want to go to a private school then you should absolutely go for it. But if the private schools start to play by a different set of rules athletically I think its a good thing for public schools to keep them in check with what they can do. High school sports are not a pay to play/be good league like little league football can be. That's exactly why MSHSAA has rules. Also you start risking the safety of kids that honestly don't know any better yet. The adults are trusted to guide the kids to be better people and make the right choices. Not throw caution to the wind and do anything to stroke their egos.
Go back and read what I wrote. They stay in public if they want to play football. Or they took their lumps if they wanted a private education and went to Pius.

Go back and read what I wrote. They stay in public if they want to play football. Or they took their lumps if they wanted a private education and went to Pius.
You are correct. Misread your original post. Apologies about that.

Reactions: HHSX2
You are correct. Misread your original post. Apologies about that.
It is all good. I just didn't want you thinking I was putting down public schools from my home area. And yes they have a had a couple of good teams the last couple of years but as of yet we still can't pick up the big one for the county. Maybe one day.

I find it odd people would pay to send their kids to a school for football.
Goes along the lines of why would people pay 10's of thousands of dollars traveling the country for "select" soft/base.volleyball, pay for private pitching and hitting coaches, personal trainers, hotel fees, meals out, etc? Spend 10 grand a year for 5 or 6 years to receive a NAIA $8,000 scholarship at a school where you in return pay $30,000 in return? People have lost their minds. Spend a week at a "national" tournament in Evansville Indiana, where you "qualified" by paying a $900 entry fee. Ridiculous

Goes along the lines of why would people pay 10's of thousands of dollars traveling the country for "select" soft/base.volleyball, pay for private pitching and hitting coaches, personal trainers, hotel fees, meals out, etc? Spend 10 grand a year for 5 or 6 years to receive a NAIA $8,000 scholarship at a school where you in return pay $30,000 in return? People have lost their minds. Spend a week at a "national" tournament in Evansville Indiana, where you "qualified" by paying a $900 entry fee. Ridiculous
usually that's more about parents than kids.

It's sad really.

Allegedly (meaning I did not hear it) in a radio interview/discussion it was mentioned that Pius coaches just lost track of their deep depth chart and didn't realize they were playing the kids they were playing....which brings up another allegation of them playing their varsity starters (everyone not a senior basically??) in a JV game against a Poplar Bluff 9th grade team when the Bluff JV team played Fox??? Any information concerning this?

Allegedly (meaning I did not hear it) in a radio interview/discussion it was mentioned that Pius coaches just lost track of their deep depth chart and didn't realize they were playing the kids they were playing....which brings up another allegation of them playing their varsity starters (everyone not a senior basically??) in a JV game against a Poplar Bluff 9th grade team when the Bluff JV team played Fox??? Any information concerning this?
How the heck does a class 2 school "lose track of their depth chart"? Or any class size for that matter. Give me a break. Current AD on staff, former Hillsboro AD on staff, assistant coaches, and a head coach. If they can't keep track of a depth chart, they are in over their heads. A more likely answer is they are saying screw the rules and just doing what they want.

I have heard from many different people now that this is the exact scenario going on at Pius. They knew exactly what they were doing and were caught red handed. Underclassmen or not, if their kids are good enough to be STARTING and playing the entirety of every single VARSITY game, they have no business playing the entirety (or any part for that matter) of JV games. They simply decided to "self report" after being called out by other teams to avoid a worse ramifications. I have had several sources confirm this now. Some real shady stuff by them. I listened to the interviews as well and read a couple of the articles out there now and clearly Pius is trying to cover it up if there are several other teams aware of it and were calling them out before they decided to "self report".

How the heck does a class 2 school "lose track of their depth chart"? Or any class size for that matter. Give me a break. Current AD on staff, former Hillsboro AD on staff, assistant coaches, and a head coach. If they can't keep track of a depth chart, they are in over their heads. A more likely answer is they are saying screw the rules and just doing what they want.
Agreed, blows my mind a class 2 school with 25ish players dressed on a Friday night "forgets".

which brings up another allegation of them playing their varsity starters (everyone not a senior basically??) in a JV game against a Poplar Bluff 9th grade team when the Bluff JV team played Fox??? Any information concerning this?
Now you have me interested in what you speak of??? lol

When I was HC at Ste. Gen. we had conference school with some really talented Freshmen...and they played 12 quarters against us that week...all 4 quarters of each the freshmen, JV, and varsity games.

We knew (it was kind of hard NOT to know lol)...but we did not report them...I'm pretty sure they did this pretty much all season.

By the time those guys were Seniors that probably had played the equivalent of 8 years of HS football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT