ADVERTISEMENT

Caden Green

Oklahoma Sooners fan forums - OUInsider

On Cayden Green's departure (Tue 7:00pm)​

@
Parker Thune

@Parker Thune​

Co-Publisher​

It is darn near impossible for me to adequately communicate how stunning a development this is.

I've known this family for almost three years and become quite close with them; I would love a firsthand explanation just as much as everyone else. But what I can tell you all for now is that this was done in complete isolation, and that the Greens have been unresponsive to quite literally everyone throughout this ordeal. They will not communicate with anyone at OU. They will not communicate with anyone from the Lee's Summit North football contingent. I exchanged a few texts with Cayden this afternoon (the details of which I won't reveal out of respect for him), but he stopped responding at a certain point. No one else has been able to reach any member of the family.

It has already been reported elsewhere that Green met with Brent Venables and Bill Bedenbaugh over the weekend, and that is true. At the time, there was nothing to worry about and no inkling that Green was considering leaving Oklahoma. Every member of the team, players and coaches alike, found out that Green was portal-bound when practice ended on Tuesday.

I spoke at length with a member of Green's high school coaching staff. The LSN crew found out when everyone else did, and has had as much luck as anyone else in attempting to establish contact with the family. That particular coach remarked to me, "We don't really check up on Cayden all that often, because we don't have to. He loves Oklahoma. Doesn't just like it, loves it. Of all our guys that would have switched up like this for whatever reason, I'd have thought Cayden was just about last on that list."

Meanwhile, Green's former head coach at LSN, ex-Oklahoma running back Jamar Mozee, told me that he also hasn't received an explanation as to how things turned sour for Green at OU. Mozee has been in touch with the Oklahoma staff today about the situation, but much like the rest of the outside world, he has not been able to get in touch with Green or his parents.

Folks, this kid was born in Oklahoma, grew up a diehard Sooner fan and never seriously considered committing anywhere else. He had been an outspoken peer recruiter for portal players and high school prospects alike. He'd worn OU on his sleeve from the day he committed, and become the first true freshman in history to serve as a game captain. The fact that he's leaving OU at all, let alone the fact that he's leaving with such apparent disregard for courtesy on the way out, is truly astonishing. With regard to such a shocking portal entry at OU, one source said, "You could have given me ninety-nine guesses, and I wouldn't have landed on Cayden." Another said, "Something like this, it almost makes you lose faith in people."

I'm trying to reserve judgment here on the factors that played into this decision, but it's hard to lend the benefit of the doubt in that capacity when there is utter radio silence from Green's camp. That silence speaks volumes, regardless of his true intent or actual motive.

Here's what it comes down to: either 1) another school coaxed Green away from Oklahoma with a prodigious amount of money, which is the consensus belief among sources I've spoken with, or 2) there is an entirely different side of the story that has yet gone untold. I would love for the latter to be true, and for there to be a rational explanation for the things that have transpired today. I'm hoping I can eventually get some semblance of an explanation from the Green family. But as of right now, the silence remains unbroken.

More to follow as we glean additional info

Oklahoma Sooners fan forums - OUInsider

On Cayden Green's departure (Tue 7:00pm)​

@
Parker Thune

@Parker Thune​

Co-Publisher​

It is darn near impossible for me to adequately communicate how stunning a development this is.

I've known this family for almost three years and become quite close with them; I would love a firsthand explanation just as much as everyone else. But what I can tell you all for now is that this was done in complete isolation, and that the Greens have been unresponsive to quite literally everyone throughout this ordeal. They will not communicate with anyone at OU. They will not communicate with anyone from the Lee's Summit North football contingent. I exchanged a few texts with Cayden this afternoon (the details of which I won't reveal out of respect for him), but he stopped responding at a certain point. No one else has been able to reach any member of the family.

It has already been reported elsewhere that Green met with Brent Venables and Bill Bedenbaugh over the weekend, and that is true. At the time, there was nothing to worry about and no inkling that Green was considering leaving Oklahoma. Every member of the team, players and coaches alike, found out that Green was portal-bound when practice ended on Tuesday.

I spoke at length with a member of Green's high school coaching staff. The LSN crew found out when everyone else did, and has had as much luck as anyone else in attempting to establish contact with the family. That particular coach remarked to me, "We don't really check up on Cayden all that often, because we don't have to. He loves Oklahoma. Doesn't just like it, loves it. Of all our guys that would have switched up like this for whatever reason, I'd have thought Cayden was just about last on that list."

Meanwhile, Green's former head coach at LSN, ex-Oklahoma running back Jamar Mozee, told me that he also hasn't received an explanation as to how things turned sour for Green at OU. Mozee has been in touch with the Oklahoma staff today about the situation, but much like the rest of the outside world, he has not been able to get in touch with Green or his parents.

Folks, this kid was born in Oklahoma, grew up a diehard Sooner fan and never seriously considered committing anywhere else. He had been an outspoken peer recruiter for portal players and high school prospects alike. He'd worn OU on his sleeve from the day he committed, and become the first true freshman in history to serve as a game captain. The fact that he's leaving OU at all, let alone the fact that he's leaving with such apparent disregard for courtesy on the way out, is truly astonishing. With regard to such a shocking portal entry at OU, one source said, "You could have given me ninety-nine guesses, and I wouldn't have landed on Cayden." Another said, "Something like this, it almost makes you lose faith in people."

I'm trying to reserve judgment here on the factors that played into this decision, but it's hard to lend the benefit of the doubt in that capacity when there is utter radio silence from Green's camp. That silence speaks volumes, regardless of his true intent or actual motive.

Here's what it comes down to: either 1) another school coaxed Green away from Oklahoma with a prodigious amount of money, which is the consensus belief among sources I've spoken with, or 2) there is an entirely different side of the story that has yet gone untold. I would love for the latter to be true, and for there to be a rational explanation for the things that have transpired today. I'm hoping I can eventually get some semblance of an explanation from the Green family. But as of right now, the silence remains unbroken.

More to follow as we glean additional info
the boomflakes are salty.

Passing along a post from Reddit (r/cfb)

Some well-connected folks, such as Carey Murdock of On3, are reporting that once Gabriel knew he was transferring to Oregon, he began acting as an intermediary between Oregon and Cayden Green. This allegedly included NIL negotiations.

The sources reported — and Green’s extended family has basically confirmed on social media — that Green went to the OU collective with a specific dollar amount he wanted (an amount he was allegedly offered by another school). The collective agreed to meet that amount, but then Green requested entry into the portal the next day, apparently using the OU match to get an even higher number from the then unnamed school.

Anyway, if confirmed this will truly diminish the fond feelings OU fans have toward Gabriel. Not to mention it just continues to underscore how poorly enforced the NCAA’s tampering rules are — bidding for players in the transfer portal is of course allowed, but communicating with and poaching players on other teams’ rosters who have not entered the portal is not.

• Haha
Reactions: Treadmill

Some well-connected folks, such as Carey Murdock of On3, are reporting that once Gabriel knew he was transferring to Oregon, he began acting as an intermediary between Oregon and Cayden Green. This allegedly included NIL negotiations.

The sources reported — and Green’s extended family has basically confirmed on social media — that Green went to the OU collective with a specific dollar amount he wanted (an amount he was allegedly offered by another school). The collective agreed to meet that amount, but then Green requested entry into the portal the next day, apparently using the OU match to get an even higher number from the then unnamed school.

Anyway, if confirmed this will truly diminish the fond feelings OU fans have toward Gabriel. Not to mention it just continues to underscore how poorly enforced the NCAA’s tampering rules are — bidding for players in the transfer portal is of course allowed, but communicating with and poaching players on other teams’ rosters who have not entered the portal is not.
Boomflakes

Reactions: Treadmill
Visting Oregon today and tomorrow then mizzou on sunday.

This stuff is really taking away from college football. I will always follow it and root on the Tigers, but it isn't going to ever be the same. I don't blame the kids one bit for chasing the $. I can't imagine the headaches this is causing for college coaches, particularly the jealousy factor in the locker rooms, and coaches coaching 18-22 year olds who are making as much/more than they are.

The NCAA sure screwed this one up. Went from getting NIL money to free agency. I said for many years, set up a system where each scholarship freshman gets $5,000, soph $10, jr $15. and sr $20,000. If they graduate, give them a $15,000 bonus. Put that in a trust fund, and if they make it through and graduate, they have $65.000 plus a college degree. If the school sells their jerseys, give them a cut of it. All of that would have taken some of the snake oil sales out of it.

That's all bs,NIL communication broke down when Lebby left for MSU. The Greens lost the trust of OU in this regard. Perhaps the Greens were looking for a reason to leave and this was the catalyst.

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
College coaches lie as much as politicians.
I’m enjoying the hell out of this.

That's all bs,NIL communication broke down when Lebby left for MSU. The Greens lost the trust of OU in this regard. Perhaps the Greens were looking for a reason to leave and this was the catalyst.
and you know this?

Whether its the Green situation or any of the others NIL hardly exists. This has completely become pay for play, which is still against the rules and NCAA is afraid to try to do something about it

Whether its the Green situation or any of the others NIL hardly exists. This has completely become pay for play, which is still against the rules and NCAA is afraid to try to do something about it
OU can't handle every school being on the same footing.

Just let it happen.

Reactions: _slo_mo_
Not sure all schools will be on the same footing, but that has nothing to do with not wanting pay for play....

looking at my posts and wondering where the whining was..... I said that he had hit the portal and talks of tampering.... I questioned Cru's knowledge of Lebby and OU's NIL, I spoke about not liking pay for play, (something I have been consistent about, and used sarcasm when you guys insinuated that OU has been paying players when no one else was able to..... not sure any of that constitutes whining but if it does, guess I am guilty

Last edited:
yep the new nfl
Way worse than the NFL. At least the NFL has contracts to keep players in place for a set amount of time. College football is big time broken. No incentive to work hard and perceiver any more. Just quit and go someplace else. Conference realignment, NIL, and transfer Portal have ruined college football. Way too much ME,ME,ME

Last edited:
Way worse than the NFL. At least the NFL has contracts in place to keep players in place for a set amount of time. college football is big time broken. No incentive to work hard and perceiver any more. Just quit and go someplace else. Conference realignment, NIL, and transfer Portal have ruined college football. Way too much ME,ME,ME
giphy.gif

Reactions: tigershs
Way worse than the NFL. At least the NFL has contracts to keep players in place for a set amount of time. College football is big time broken. No incentive to work hard and perceiver any more. Just quit and go someplace else. Conference realignment, NIL, and transfer Portal have ruined college football. Way too much ME,ME,ME
But it was ok for the coaches to make millions off the back of concussed players, sign a long term contract and then leave after one year for a big raise elsewhere?
College football has been “broken” for most of our lives. The players finally have some freedom like the rest of America to move to greener pastures. It’s F’ing awesome.

Reactions: _slo_mo_ and Ap2493
But it was ok for the coaches to make millions off the back of concussed players, sign a long term contract and then leave after one year for a big raise elsewhere?
College football has been “broken” for most of our lives. The players finally have some freedom like the rest of America to move to greener pastures. It’s F’ing awesome.
Never understand why Toots comes on a Football forum.
fc38b6d90cf9d9b3c22d625dddcf4620.jpg
b51fc468-31bf-4f40-9a1b-59c9b4e8607b_text.gif

If they receive NIL money, they should not receive scholarship money if NIL is more than tuition and room and board. Give that money to kids who need it and the athlete pay for his college because he has enough money. People forget that that they do make thousands in free education and even graduate school a lot of times.

Reactions: 65TPT and HomeyR

Don't get me wrong, I 100% think college football players should get paid. However there has to be some better system. The backroom deals and 3rd party "donors" look almost as bad as our politicians. Not a huge Coach Kelly fan, however I think he is on the right track.

again its like the nfl
sorry if we disagree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT