ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari needs to

hangmanbobbyjaggers

Sep 19, 2011
Change his recruiting. The one and done is a done deal. He better start recruiting out of the Portal and get kids that are ready if he wants UK to win a Natty! NIL has ruined his way of recruiting

No, he needs to negotiate a buyout and get out. If you think Oakland had better players, you're clueless. They had a better scheme and were better coached. That's it. Look man, I watch every second of every game. The dude is done. He had three of the best shooters that have ever played at UK on this roster. He went into this game knowing all Oakland does is play a 1-3-1 matchup. And he starts a lineup that has one shooter and his main offensive game plan is to jam it into the middle to Trey Mitchell (been injured and almost unplayable for over a month) and when that went to crap he put DJ in there (the worst guard on the roster that actually plays). The game has passed him by. He had a roster that's probably top 5 in the country and got bounced by a team that lost 5 games in the effing Horizon league.

• Haha
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
No, he needs to negotiate a buyout and get out. If you think Oakland had better players, you're clueless. They had a better scheme and were better coached. That's it. Look man, I watch every second of every game. The dude is done. He had three of the best shooters that have ever played at UK on this roster. He went into this game knowing all Oakland does is play a 1-3-1 matchup. And he starts a lineup that has one shooter and his main offensive game plan is to jam it into the middle to Trey Mitchell (been injured and almost unplayable for over a month) and when that went to crap he put DJ in there (the worst guard on the roster that actually plays). The game has passed him by. He had a roster that's probably top 5 in the country and got bounced by a team that lost 5 games in the effing Horizon league.
They played 10 kids last night. 7 freshmen, 1 soph, a 5th year and a grad player. You do not win the championship with freshmen. HENCE his recruiting style. Sorry, you can coach all you want, but the young kids just got rattled and started pushing too hard and doing things on their own and trying to make plays on their own. Reeves was most poised. Why? He is a 5th year senior. Oakland played basically 6 kids. 1 jr, 3 seniors and 2 grad students. Little bit was bad coaching, but you just do not win playing kids 18/19 years old against men that are 22/23 years old. Sorry

Man times change. Weren't you posting updates from the Memphis basketball office door back in the day? :)
I may have some of those details wrong, and I am not disagreeing with you.
Who do they get? Dusty May?

• Haha
They played 10 kids last night. 7 freshmen, 1 soph, a 5th year and a grad player. You do not win the championship with freshmen. HENCE his recruiting style. Sorry, you can coach all you want, but the young kids just got rattled and started pushing too hard and doing things on their own and trying to make plays on their own. Reeves was most poised. Why? He is a 5th year senior. Oakland played basically 6 kids. 1 jr, 3 seniors and 2 grad students. Little bit was bad coaching, but you just do not win playing kids 18/19 years old against men that are 22/23 years old. Sorry
Dude, just stop. You're in gun fight with a plastic knife. You're trying to communicate with someone who lives and breathes UK. Give Kampe the Cats and he beats his own team by 20 with that roster. And just for reference, there's a really big freaking difference from beating a 14 or 15 seed and winning a title. There's a large gap there. Here's a number for you. In the last 10 post-season games UK is 2-8 (0-2 SECT and 2-6 NCAA). Cal can't coach brother, he just recruits now. He's fat and complacent. You can't be both fat and hungry. He's done. If UK sends him packing, maybe he'll have enough in the tank to resurface at an SMU to get hungry enough to try to give the college basketball world a middle finger.

If you knew anything about this team or basketball in general, you'd know what he tried to scheme and the lineups he played last night was coaching malpractice. You're just talking in generalities, like most that don't know the situation.

Man times change. Weren't you posting updates from the Memphis basketball office door back in the day? :)
I may have some of those details wrong, and I am not disagreeing with you.
Who do they get? Dusty May?
All good things must come to an end. But for sure, I was beyond pumped when we got him. And for good reason. Pre-Covid was an awesome run. But it's over and it's obvious.

I'd take anyone at this point...Drew gets a lot of pub, and I'd take him even though I really don't like him. I'd take May or any of the hot mid-major guys right now. Gimmie Pat Kelsey. 2015 Cal ain't 2024 Cal.

Dude, just stop. You're in gun fight with a plastic knife. You're trying to communicate with someone who lives and breathes UK. Give Kampe the Cats and he beats his own team by 20 with that roster. And just for reference, there's a really big freaking difference from beating a 14 or 15 seed and winning a title. There's a large gap there. Here's a number for you. In the last 10 post-season games UK is 2-8 (0-2 SECT and 2-6 NCAA). Cal can't coach brother, he just recruits now. He's fat and complacent. You can't be both fat and hungry. He's done. If UK sends him packing, maybe he'll have enough in the tank to resurface at an SMU to get hungry enough to try to give the college basketball world a middle finger.

If you knew anything about this team or basketball in general, you'd know what he tried to scheme and the lineups he played last night was coaching malpractice. You're just talking in generalities, like most that don't know the situation.
11tTNkNy1SdXGg.webp

I'm actually pretty happy, all things considered. Why? Because I think this is what finally ends it. It gets the fat poser gone. What frustrates me a bit is some dude that watches one tournament game and thinks he's got the answer or has a clue about the situation.

• Haha
Btw...forgot to mention this earlier, since you know so much about Cal and UK.

The 21-22 team that lost to St Peters in OT in the 1st round...their top 7 scorers had 1 frosh, 4 juniors, and 2 seniors.

But go ahead and tell me you can coach all you want, you just need older players.

It's possible more than one thing can be true:

1. Cal is done.
2. It's significantly harder to win with freshmen due to NIL money, transfer portal, sixth-year seniors, etc.

I never understood what he was trying to do with this team. His three best players were Reeves, Dillingham and Sheppard. I would have never taken any of those three guys off the court.

His schtik is old news as the NIL money is the new game in town, and one and done era is kinda over.

It's possible he could rebrand and hustle the portal the way he has the one-and-done era, but his coaching abilities might be so far gone it wouldn't matter at this point.

It's possible more than one thing can be true:

1. Cal is done.
2. It's significantly harder to win with freshmen due to NIL money, transfer portal, sixth-year seniors, etc.
True. But the team that got beat by St Peters was full of experience. And, you know, got beat by St Peters.

I never understood what he was trying to do with this team. His three best players were Reeves, Dillingham and Sheppard. I would have never taken any of those three guys off the court.
Nobody understood it. He's just an old, stubborn, fat poser anymore. His "swag" is gone because he didn't adapt. This roster, constructed EXACTLY how it is, would still be playing if he'd simply pay attention to lineup data.

Reed/Reeves/Rob are on the floor for 30-35 mins/game. DJ is their primary backup.
Theiro and Edwards split time at the 4. One is used for sub purposes above in emergencies only.
Z/Ugo/Mitchell/Bradshaw fight it out for minutes at the 5.

Everyone in the world saw this that paid attention. So dumb. His stubborn old ignorant backward thinking mind ruined what was the most exciting UK roster in his tenure.

His schtik is old news as the NIL money is the new game in town, and one and done era is kinda over.
His crap that he spews is old and the fan base has had enough. That kind of talent will ALWAYS win with a good coach. Put Ben McCollum and the rest of the Northwest staff on campus the moment those guys got to Lexington and you'd have a final four team. One and done isn't the issue, Cals refusal to coach is. He's fat and lazy.

It's possible he could rebrand and hustle the portal the way he has the one-and-done era, but his coaching abilities might be so far gone it wouldn't matter at this point.
If you think he's still got hustle in him, hop on iHeart and listen to the first 20 mins or so of Matt Jones's KSR podcast from yesterday. And then just for giggles listen to the first 30 mins or so of the Big Blue Insider from last night. He's got zero hustle left. Only way he gets motivated again is if UK fires his butt and he has to regroup at an SMU or something like that.

Btw...forgot to mention this earlier, since you know so much about Cal and UK.

The 21-22 team that lost to St Peters in OT in the 1st round...their top 7 scorers had 1 frosh, 4 juniors, and 2 seniors.

But go ahead and tell me you can coach all you want, you just need older players.
Little Bo Peep lost his sheep.... Boo Hoo Hoo. 1 year they have experience. All I said was he needed to change his recruiting ways if he wants to win championships. He runs UK like the G League of college basketball. Does he want to be the One and Done or start hitting the portal each year. He puts more fans in the seats than MU, OU and OSU combined.

Coach Cal is going to Arkansas, so Kentucky gets the fresh start you want.

Wonder how many UK kids will hit the portal and flip now?
I'd expect an entirely new roster, including the incoming frosh. I'd say the only incoming that will play at UK is Travis Perry.

- last won an NCAAT title 12+ years ago
- last went to a FF 9+ years ago
- hasn’t been a one seed in 9+ years
- last won the SECT 6+ years go
- last won the SEC regular season 4+ years ago

Past 4 seasons involved: 9-16, 1 SECT win, and 1 NCAAT win with losses to a 15 and 14 seed.

There are a ton of coaches that can get those results. UK will be fine. The standard existed prior to Cal. His first 10 yrs were awesome. Then he got fat and lazy.

• Haha
I'd expect an entirely new roster, including the incoming frosh. I'd say the only incoming that will play at UK is Travis Perry.

- last won an NCAAT title 12+ years ago
- last went to a FF 9+ years ago
- hasn’t been a one seed in 9+ years
- last won the SECT 6+ years go
- last won the SEC regular season 4+ years ago

Past 4 seasons involved: 9-16, 1 SECT win, and 1 NCAAT win with losses to a 15 and 14 seed.

There are a ton of coaches that can get those results. UK will be fine. The standard existed prior to Cal. His first 10 yrs were awesome. Then he got fat and lazy.
BYU coach gonna get results?

BBN is in full meltdown mode.

BYU coach gonna get results?

BBN is in full meltdown mode.
BBN has been in meltdown mode for five yrs. Constantly in meltdown mode if not hanging banners.

Who knows, and that’s the issue. Barnhart failed initially not firing Cal. Then Arky bailed him out. Now this hire. Huge gamble. I’m just not sure why it happened when it did. I was firmly of the belief that Wright, Stevens, Billy D, and Hurley were never legitimate options. Duh. I honestly thought it would be Drew and hated that. Milk toast. When he turned it down I was excited. Thought Beard would get a chance, and given the chance he’d blow everyone away. But Barnhart is about as adventurous as Alden was. So he pivoted to Pope. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT