ADVERTISEMENT

Woody Guthrie fans

Toots_mcgee

Nov 10, 2020
Back in the day when the feds busted Trump and his dad for not renting to black folks ole Woody Guthrie had already written a song years earlier about Old Man Trump.

Last edited:
Where I am confused is Woody died in the 60s.
You read much?

Back in the day when the feds busted Trump and his dad for not renting to black folks ole Woody Guthrie had already written a song years earlier about Old Man Trump.

You read much?

I read a lot just not this stuff. Was it really about Trumps father?
How many books you read last year?

Reactions: NationRoad
Among other things he wrote “This land is your land”. But it wasn’t about billionaires owning a disproportionate amount of the wealth so you probably don’t like it.

I don't understand,,,I heard Joe Biden say he didn't want his kids going to school in a "Racial Jungle",,,,, how is that OK but Trumps dad not wanting black people in his building is a big deal???
One of them grew up and figured it out.
Then there's mangolini.

Among other things he wrote “This land is your land”. But it wasn’t about billionaires owning a disproportionate amount of the wealth so you probably don’t like it.
How do you define disproportionate??

People are allowed to excell and succeed in our nation. If people aren't making enough they need to go find another job that pays more or better yet go start a business , work hard and succeed

Reactions: 65TPT
How do you define disproportionate??

People are allowed to excell and succeed in our nation. If people aren't making enough they need to go find another job that pays more or better yet go start a business , work hard and succeed
not when the rich got the game fixed by buying the lawmakers.

You should try go start a farming business. Good luck!!

well actually I have a small farm, built a house on ten acres, bought adjoining 20 acres and run a few red angus. Getting ready to buy 80 acres west of me. Hell of a lot of work it doesnt happen overnight as I have never stepped up and borrowed money to ever buy land or equipment. Even with 100 acres I cant run enough cattle to quit my full time job.

If you are going to start a farm large enough to provide for your family as your only source of income you better have enough credit to walk into a bank and borrow 4-5 million dollars for 1000 acres of land and equipment. Farms are capitol heavy just like most other businesses

well actually I have a small farm, built a house on ten acres, bought adjoining 20 acres and run a few red angus. Getting ready to buy 80 acres west of me. Hell of a lot of work it doesnt happen overnight as I have never stepped up and borrowed money to ever buy land or equipment. Even with 100 acres I cant run enough cattle to quit my full time job.

If you are going to start a farm large enough to provide for your family as your only source of income you better have enough credit to walk into a bank and borrow 4-5 million dollars for 1000 acres of land and equipment. Farms are capitol heavy just like most other businesses
nobody cares that you are poor and can't afford to buy a lot.

You are deflecting from the point.

'getting started' is much tougher nowadays for more than one reason.

e695030b-c402-4571-9dce-bf8717e62948_text.gif

nobody cares that you are poor and can't afford to buy a lot.

You are deflecting from the point.

'getting started' is much tougher nowadays for more than one reason.
its not tougher at all, people are just much too lazy to get off of their butt and work for what they want

Go learn a trade. Start a construction business, plumbing, electrical, Commercial Cleaning, landscaping, mobile glass, mechanic. Many options for people out there, but they would rather complain about someone else getting rich. You can start a lot of these businesses with very little capital invested.

Reactions: NationRoad
Go learn a trade. Start a construction business, plumbing, electrical, Commercial Cleaning, landscaping, mobile glass, mechanic. Many options for people out there, but they would rather complain about someone else getting rich. You can start a lot of these businesses with very little capital invested.
When did you start your business? Things have changed.

When did you start your business? Things have changed.
What has changed that you cannot start one of the businesses that I stated above? I started a lawncare/landscaping side hustle in 2016. I don't really consider it a business since it's not my full time job. Not much has changed in the lawncare/landscaping industry since then other than the cost of equipment going up. I work full time for an Electrical Company and we have had journeyman and foreman leave and start their own company and are doing fine. I have friends that have started a mobile glass company and is doing fine.

I would like to know why someone is unable to start these companies now compared to 5-10 years ago.

What has changed that you cannot start one of the businesses that I stated above? I started a lawncare/landscaping side hustle in 2016. I don't really consider it a business since it's not my full time job. Not much has changed in the lawncare/landscaping industry since then other than the cost of equipment going up. I work full time for an Electrical Company and we have had journeyman and foreman leave and start their own company and are doing fine. I have friends that have started a mobile glass company and is doing fine.

I would like to know why someone is unable to start these companies now compared to 5-10 years ago.
Costs.
Interest rates
Big money buying up anything worth having.

Sure it's possible but you act like all a guy gotta do is hustle a bit.

Dont' hurt yourself with those backpats.

Costs.
Interest rates
Big money buying up anything worth having.

Sure it's possible but you act like all a guy gotta do is hustle a bit.

Dont' hurt yourself with those backpats.
We just had another thread where everyone was telling me interest rates aren't as bad now as they were in the 80s. Wouldn't it have been hard to start a business back then as well if using that same logic? Yes costs have gone up, but so has profit. People aren't charging the same amount as they were 5-10 years ago.

All you do have to do is hustle. The problem is you have to hustle for years not just months or a year like most want.

And yes let me talk about my friends that have started businesses and are succeeding, but sure I'll pat myself on the back for their success. You're that guy that just can't have a debate with anyone without trying to throw in some little shot that has nothing to do with anything lol.

We just had another thread where everyone was telling me interest rates aren't as bad now as they were in the 80s. Wouldn't it have been hard to start a business back then as well if using that same logic? Yes costs have gone up, but so has profit. People aren't charging the same amount as they were 5-10 years ago.

All you do have to do is hustle. The problem is you have to hustle for years not just months or a year like most want.

And yes let me talk about my friends that have started businesses and are succeeding, but sure I'll pat myself on the back for their success. You're that guy that just can't have a debate with anyone without trying to throw in some little shot that has nothing to do with anything lol.
Honestly I am just still just searching for a Woody Guthrie fan

Yeah, since American folk music is tearing up the radio waves these days, I don't know why you wouldn't see all sorts of Woody Guthrie fans.
Although I do make the kids and grandkids watch Alice's Restaurant every Thanksgiving, with theme song by his much more famous son

Reactions: Arcola

Does this mean that the 90% of business startups that fail just weren't "hustling" enough?

I'm not saying that it doesn't play a role, but according to many, many financial experts of whatever political stripe, the inability to obtain financing (for whatever reason) is the top reason businesses fail. Competition from the huge, already established businesses (who can afford to undercut your prices and lose money if necessary, not to mention having professional lobbyists influencing policy in their favor) is also one of the top factors.

In your mind, is it not okay to admit that factors other than "hustle" could have played a role in a business failure? Does it feel like you are making excuses if you acknowledge anything other than your work ethic as a factor in failure or success? Reasons and excuses are not synonymous, you know. To ignore reasons is to doom oneself to failure again. By the same token, however, I'll acknowledge that dwelling on excuses will do the same thing.

Does this mean that the 90% of business startups that fail just weren't "hustling" enough?

I'm not saying that it doesn't play a role, but according to many, many financial experts of whatever political stripe, the inability to obtain financing (for whatever reason) is the top reason businesses fail. Competition from the huge, already established businesses (who can afford to undercut your prices and lose money if necessary, not to mention having professional lobbyists influencing policy in their favor) is also one of the top factors.

In your mind, is it not okay to admit that factors other than "hustle" could have played a role in a business failure? Does it feel like you are making excuses if you acknowledge anything other than your work ethic as a factor in failure or success? Reasons and excuses are not synonymous, you know. To ignore reasons is to doom oneself to failure again. By the same token, however, I'll acknowledge that dwelling on excuses will do the same thing.
I think it depends on the business you want to start. What I was referring to in an earlier post that he quoted were startups that don't require a lot of capital. I had mentioned trades such as construction, electrician, plumbing, drywall as well as others like glass installation, lawncare/landscaping. You can begin these with little overhead and small amount of capital. Lowering the risk of failure.

I don't know the percentages, but I would bet the majority of businesses that fail have to raise a large amount of capital to begin and have a lot of overhead.

I do think there are people that hustle and still fail, but IMO I think some companies try to get too big too fast and don't have the correct people in place to make their business a success. There are many factors that can go into businesses failing, so I'm not going to say that it's work ethic alone.

I just think when people think about a successful business, they look at big corporations. But there are many other avenues to a successful business that will never reach that status. Just because a business isn't publicly traded, doesn't mean that it can't create life changing wealth for families.

I think it depends on the business you want to start. What I was referring to in an earlier post that he quoted were startups that don't require a lot of capital. I had mentioned trades such as construction, electrician, plumbing, drywall as well as others like glass installation, lawncare/landscaping. You can begin these with little overhead and small amount of capital. Lowering the risk of failure.

I don't know the percentages, but I would bet the majority of businesses that fail have to raise a large amount of capital to begin and have a lot of overhead.

I do think there are people that hustle and still fail, but IMO I think some companies try to get too big too fast and don't have the correct people in place to make their business a success. There are many factors that can go into businesses failing, so I'm not going to say that it's work ethic alone.

I just think when people think about a successful business, they look at big corporations. But there are many other avenues to a successful business that will never reach that status. Just because a business isn't publicly traded, doesn't mean that it can't create life changing wealth for families.

I also think that a lot of the time, people just overvalue the product or service they plan to sell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT