ADVERTISEMENT

Webb City ranked 4th in the nation on this list of the country's Top-50 small school football programs...

Graphic Edge Guy

Oct 24, 2001

City: Webb City, Missouri

Population: 10,996

Record in the 2010s: 140-8 (.972 winning percentage)

State championships: 16 (1989, 1992, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2010-14, 2016, 2019, 2021)

Notable players: Hugh Sprinkle, Grant Wistrom, Collin Howard, John Roderique
Notable coaches: Jerry Kill, Kurt Thompson, John Roderique

Last edited:
The notable players crack me up . So random . Grant Wistrom is a given . But Andrew Shull ( Lions ) Adam Speiker ( Raiders ) Trystan Castillo (Ravens , just got traded to the Jets ) Kiente Hardin ( 49's walk on and cfl star ) Grants brother was an all American at Nebraska and had a short stint with Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Mark Smith was a college all American and played for the Chiefs for several years. Tyler Davidson is currently with the bills ....Josh Chapman was a college all American and owns about every QB record for mssu . Chad Webb was a 2 or 3x college all American. I'm sure I'm missing some but those are just some examples. Hugh Sprinkle must have been way back when bc idk who he is . Coach Rod was an all American at pitt state and in their hall of fame so I get that . Colin Howard was really good the one year he started at Webb and had a decent career at mssu but it's odd he's on the list . John Roderique Jr was way better then him . Marty Rogers , Chris Taylor , The Jonson brothers , a whole lot more ....odd list

Last edited:
The notable players crack me up . So random . Grant Wistrom is a given . But Andrew Shull ( Lions ) Adam Speiker ( Raiders ) Trystan Castillo (Ravens , just got traded to the Jets ) Kiente Hardin ( 49's walk on and cfl star ) Grants brother was an all American at Nebraska and had a short stint with Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Mark Smith was a college all American and played for the Chiefs for several years. Tyler Davidson is currently with the bills ....Josh Chapman was a college all American and owns about every QB record for mssu . Chad Webb was a 2 or 3x college all American. I'm sure I'm missing some but those are just some examples. Hugh Sprinkle must have been way back when bc idk who he is . Coach Rod was an all American at pitt state and in their hall of fame so I get that . Colin Howard was really good the one year he started at Webb and had a decent career at mssu but it's odd he's on the list . John Roderique Jr was way better then him . Marty Rogers , Chris Taylor , The Jonson brothers , a whole lot more ....odd list
Man among boys didn't even begin to describe Grant Wistrom.

I agree it's kind of a goofy list but you have to realize it was probably put together by someone who has never heard of Webb City or any of these people on the list. Lists and articles like these are not created by sports analysts or writers. They are made by rando gig economy workers that come up with a topic, do some quick google research, make a spreadhseet then publish it on whatever blog or sites most relevent and hope it generates enough clicks and ad impressions to send a few bucks their way. They will create random articles or lists for sometimes hundreds of different blogs or sites.

I have a friend who briefly dabbled in this and it was kind of eye opening to realize just how much of the internet is created this way by people with no background in writing or journalism, zero knowledge or interest in the subject, they are only creating click-bait infrastructure. Now it's increasingly all driven by AI.

I agree it's kind of a goofy list but you have to realize it was probably put together by someone who has never heard of Webb City or any of these people on the list. Lists and articles like these are not created by sports analysts or writers. They are made by rando gig economy workers that come up with a topic, do some quick google research, make a spreadhseet then publish it on whatever blog or sites most relevent and hope it generates enough clicks and ad impressions to send a few bucks their way. They will create random articles or lists for sometimes hundreds of different blogs or sites.

I have a friend who briefly dabbled in this and it was kind of eye opening to realize just how much of the internet is created this way by people with no background in writing or journalism, zero knowledge or interest in the subject, they are only creating click-bait infrastructure. Now it's increasingly all driven by AI.

It was produced via AI GPT Chat.

Man among boys didn't even begin to describe Grant Wistrom.
I remember in 1993 watching Grant in the semifinals line up against Mike Rucker from St. Joe Benton . Mike was 6'5 275 ( in the NFL , much lighter in HS ) . Those two lined head up with each other the whole game on both sides of the ball . What a battle that was . Both ended up at Nebraska. Grant starting at de on one side and Mike de on the other side of one of the best defenses in college football history . Grant went on to get drafted 6th in 1998 and Mike was selected 38th in 1999.

City: Webb City, Missouri

Population: 10,996

Record in the 2010s: 140-8 (.972 winning percentage)

State championships: 16 (1989, 1992, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2010-14, 2016, 2019, 2021)

Notable players: Hugh Sprinkle, Grant Wistrom, Collin Howard, John Roderique
Notable coaches: Jerry Kill, Kurt Thompson, John Roderique
"notable players" crack me up. I know Collin Howard. Nice dude but not anywhere near accomplished as;

Mark Smith, Adam Speiker, Tristan Castillo, Kiante Hardin, Andrew Shull, Little Wistrom, and several others.

"notable players" crack me up. I know Collin Howard. Nice dude but not anywhere near accomplished as;

Mark Smith, Adam Speiker, Tristan Castillo, Kiante Hardin, Andrew Shull, Little Wistrom, and several others.
Collin is a great dude . I think he won Gatorade player of the year his senior year . He was really good but as you said ...not really in the same conversation as quite a few others

you even seen substack? 😳

No, it will say, "Webb. Coach Thomas' Bitch"
life suicide GIF by David

Took me a few seconds to compose myself at the South Panola selection for Mississippi, but if they are outside the top ten then there's no way Webb is properly ranked at #4. I would also give the edge to both Greenwood and Fruitland on the field, but in no way do they stack up in notable players or coaches so I can live with them both being lower. Illini West as best in Illinois kinda shocked me, but I don't know a whole lot of what goes on over there outside of the KHQA viewing area. Good team no doubt, but if that's their best then wow.

Kegs of the ol budweiser are way cheap at the main st caseys. Practically free for under 10 teeth recipients.

• Haha
Reactions: HomeyR
Collin is a great dude . I think he won Gatorade player of the year his senior year . He was really good but as you said ...not really in the same conversation as quite a few others
If that’s the QB that I’m thinking of from back in the day, he made one of the most unselfish plays I’ve seen in high school football when they were playing in the dome.

Was about 20-30 yards downfield on an option keeper and as he was getting hit, found his pitch man that far down field and I believe it ended up resulting in a TD or a near TD for the cardinals.

9 times out of 10, your HS QB keeps the ball there and doesn’t give it up, but not that day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT