ADVERTISEMENT

Troy 42 vs Hannibal 40 final

Troy is definitely the better than Helias. if hannibal could have a rematch against Helias, Hannibal would win by 2 or 3 Td's. Hannibal just had bad Play calling against Helias plus first game with only 5 returning starters on offense including Williams and 4 OL starters

@Gateway Sports Venue could give u thoughts on last night game.

Hannibal- im going compared Hannibal with Troy and Helias. Hannibal is better than helias but not better than Troy. Williams is carrying Hannibal but not like he did last year. i remember last year after the West Plains everybody was saying Williams won that game and the North County game. this year will be different, yes Williams has score almost every touchdown so far but we have definitely better receivers and a better running back than we did last year. Hannibal RB #33 is really good, he has the burst of speed like maclin was when maclin was at mizzou. kid is a stud and needs more attention. on the defensive side for Hannibal, the front 7 is one of the best in Class 4. they keep team rush yds under 100 yds. the secondary for hannibal is shaky but will always been shaky. hannibal has never have a good secondary since i been watching. they're good but always get beat on deep passes. Williams is unreal, i have never seen a kid who can break tackles like he does. they're is sometimes it takes the whole other team to bring Williams down. can't wait for it to cool down, leg cramps has always kept williams being his full potentially in the early games on the season.

Helias- They were good but not troy good. They only kept Williams under 100 Rushing/Receiving
in the game. Helias is more of a passing than a rushing team. Helias was beating hannibal on 3rd down conversation from rolling out options play where they gain 20 or 30 yds from a passing play. if i remember right Hannibal kept Helias under 50 yds rushing that night.

Troy- they're defense was really good. they will give francis howell trouble. Lang is a beast, they were keying on Williams and Williams still won that battle, i don't think Missouri tigers defense could stop Williams either. Troy QB Sutton is a stud passing and running, He is Quick and can throw the ball deep. #3 on troy needs more credit. he can run over any team, kid is really fast.

after last night game, i wish Hannibal was in the gateway conference. it was fun playing Troy last night. we get them at home next year week 3 i think!!!
I run GSV and I prefer to use this account on here.

To answer your question I was so impressed with Williams that I think he's the best player in the state regardless of class and position. I knew he was very good, but he still managed to soar above my lofty expectations of him I had going into the game. It's crazy to think a team like Hannibal is 1-2, but Helias and Troy are very good teams, but I would peg Troy over Helias based on talent and depth. I'm curious to how Helias managed to contain Aneyas. Was he hurt? Is Helias that good?

Anyway, Hannibal gave Troy everything they could handle, but I know the Trojans can play better, especially on offense despite scoring 42 points. I think they left some points out there and had too many empty possessions when they really could've put the game away at certain points. This was their best game offensively considering they had far fewer penalties compared to their first game against Holt and less turnovers (6 against O'Fallon week 2). Still, they did commit a few and almost lost a fumble on their final drive that would've set up a chaotic ending. When he's not turning the ball over, Charos Sutton is one of the toughest quarterback's to contain in the state and the highlights showed why in many circumstances. Overall for Troy what's holding them back right now is their inconsistency on offense whether its turnovers, penalties (although they seem to have gotten past that), and execution.

I really like Hannibal's offensive scheme, but I wasn't sure why Williams didn't get that many touches in the first half. Maybe to save his energy for the second half, which almost worked, but that's a scratcher. Humphrey is a nice complement to Williams at running back and receiver. Their sophomore QB doesn't look imposing but he definitely threw some dimes and made some heads up plays on broken plays. If Hannibal can make adjustments on defense then I think they can get back to Columbia in December. They have other players besides Williams, but ultimately it comes down to him. Them almost beating Troy who should make it to at least a Class 6 district championship game is a very good sign for the Pirates.

That was a very fun game to cover despite the lightening delays!

I'm curious to how Helias managed to contain Aneyas. Was he hurt? Is Helias that good?
He wasn't hurt, but he was dealing with cramps all game. Helias has a really good on the DLine. Hannibal was using him in the backfield in the helias game and Aneyas couldn't get anywhere. Hannibal had a different offense scheme in the helias game than troy. Hannibal wants to try to get more players involved on the offensive side of the ball this year. Hannibal QB Anders was his first game and he was learning the new System. He has improved the last 2 weeks

here's the livestream of the helias game from week 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 2old2slow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT