ADVERTISEMENT

"The" 2019-20 Class 1 Boys Basketball Thread

you_dont_know_me

Mar 9, 2003
The Sticks of Missouri
There is nothing like the support of small town basketball. Also, no thread that is more watched on Mosports (you are welcome, Mr. Gunn).

Unfortunately, I will guarantee you I will not be on here near as much, so other people will have to step up. It's time anyways for that!

But, districts are now out..Christmas Day for MO HS hoops fans and coaches.

Last year's final polls: (my quick take in red)
Class 1

1 Jefferson 28-4-- Now Co-op'ing with South Nodaway. Just reloading. The favorite until otherwise proven

2 Dora 30-2--Haney and the Triplets still back? If so, they are the favorite down in SEMO

3 Winston 26-1--Lost an all stater, still tough (although I would have liked to have seen them play MC last year....so a bit of rebuilding..they may lose 3 games this season :)

4 St. Elizabeth 23-6-- Looking to build off last year's final four run, but I believe they lost some pieces, central/SWMO is always up for grabs.

5 Mound City 27-2-- Most talented team in NWMO. New coach this season, so we will see how that plays out. They have a couple of guards very capable of playing at the next level. They lost some upper classmen size and leadership, but have good younger classes too. Tony Osborne is right up there with Isaac Haney

6 Lakeland 27-3--I think their run is over

7 Linn County 18-8--NEMO team that is decent, but were somewhat cinderella. Wonder if Meadville finds their way back or if Slater finally breaks through? Will Glasgow be back?

8 Eminence 23-6--great program, but their big time pieces are all gone.

9 South Iron 22-5-This team has been on the cusp of breaking through...

10 Risco 24-5--not sure. Been knocking on the door a few years now

Others receiving votes: Halfway 22-6, Slater 21-6, LaPlata 22-6, Meadville 21-4

Halfway...know nothing about
Slater...waiting to see them come through in a big game
LaPlata, well coached program, probably pretty salty
Meadville...another historically good and well-coached program

--My preseason top 10, being as uneducated about this as I've ever been in the past 5 years...

1. Platte Valley (Jefferson/South Nodaway Coop)
2. Mound City (They can't both go to Springfield, but these two will be a force)
3. Dora (Assuming they have all their guys back)
4. St. Elizabeth (depending on if the big boy is back)
5. South Iron
6. Meadville--just because of tradition/history
7. Winston--will have a tremendous W/L as always..the old ball coach up there knows a thing or two
8. Sacred Heart Sedalia...first time in C1 in a while...always a great program
9. Northeast Randolph (Cairo)...another "drop down"
10. Scott County Central...because I don't know anything and those guys always find a way to be tough.

Programs/Teams to Watch: Mercer, Glasgow, Eminence, Drexel (based on FB), Appleton City (based on football), North Shelby (based on football), Pattonsburg, Halfway, Sturgeon, SW Livingston (6'7" stud in class 1's senior campaign, yep!) I'm sure I left someone off, but the state title winner is probably in that list of 50 teams I just mentioned :) haha!

Beat me up over it! It's all I got though...looking forward to the season!

Reactions: News2You
I'm happy as heck because Princeton got bumped down to Class 1 and will be in the same district as Mercer. Makes my late February MUCH easier. :D:D:D

Reactions: you_dont_know_me
I saw Lakeland and St. Elizabeth over the summer. LAkeland graduated 3 seniors who were all very good but everyone else on that team including the best player was a sophomore or freshman, look for them to continue their recent success. St. Elizabeth from what i understand has lost one guard from last year and continue to have all 3 of their 6'5 and above post players from last year, it will be hard to match up with them size wise

St. Elizabeth will have Cairo to deal with in a sectional now that they dropped from class 2. They have everyone back from a district championship team last year and have some size to match up.

St. Elizabeth will have Cairo to deal with in a sectional now that they dropped from class 2. They have everyone back from a district championship team last year and have some size to match up.

Didn't Cairo lose their 1000 point scorer?

Pattonsburg has never been Class 2. That is Plattsburg that was a final 4 team in Class 2

There is nothing like the support of small town basketball. Also, no thread that is more watched on Mosports (you are welcome, Mr. Gunn).

Unfortunately, I will guarantee you I will not be on here near as much, so other people will have to step up. It's time anyways for that!

Class 1

1 Jefferson 28-4-- Now Co-op'ing with South Nodaway. Just reloading. The favorite until otherwise proven

2 Dora 30-2--Haney and the Triplets still back? If so, they are the favorite down in SEMO

3 Winston 26-1--Lost an all stater, still tough (although I would have liked to have seen them play MC last year....so a bit of rebuilding..they may lose 3 games this season :)

4 St. Elizabeth 23-6-- Looking to build off last year's final four run, but I believe they lost some pieces, central/SWMO is always up for grabs.

5 Mound City 27-2-- Most talented team in NWMO. New coach this season, so we will see how that plays out. They have a couple of guards very capable of playing at the next level. They lost some upper classmen size and leadership, but have good younger classes too. Tony Osborne is right up there with Isaac Haney

7 Linn County 18-8--NEMO team that is decent, but were somewhat cinderella. Wonder if Meadville finds their way back or if Slater finally breaks through? Will Glasgow be back?

--My preseason top 10, being as uneducated about this as I've ever been in the past 5 years...

2. Mound City (They can't both go to Springfield, but these two will be a force)
5. South Iron
7. Winston--will have a tremendous W/L as always..the old ball coach up there knows a thing or two
10. Scott County Central...because I don't know anything and those guys always find a way to be tough.

Programs/Teams to Watch: Mercer, Glasgow, Eminence, Drexel (based on FB), Appleton City (based on football), North Shelby (based on football), Pattonsburg, Halfway, Sturgeon, SW Livingston (6'7" stud in class 1's senior campaign, yep!) I'm sure I left someone off, but the state title winner is probably in that list of 50 teams I just mentioned :) haha!

Leeton beat Sacred Heart 70-57 to open the season. four players for Leeton in double figures 3 juniors and one soph.

South Iron & Lesterville squared off last night for the Arcadia Valley Thanksgiving championship. South Iron won by 5, Lesterville had a chance to cut the game to 2 with 14 or so seconds left but couldn’t convert a contested layup.
SI looks like the real deal and could be Dora’s challenge for a final 4 appearance. Long and athletic lead by Wakefield and Dinkins.
Lesterville finished 21-7 last year and brought back 4 starters and a sophomore shooter
This reminds me of Jefferson (Platte Valley) & Mound City situation last year, it will be fun to watch

We have championship night in Northwest Missouri this weekend, so we will know a little more about how things will sort out. Winston lost a game already, which is pretty rare, but they are young and building. Maybe not top 10 yet, but will still be a favorite in their district I think.

We will know more soon between PVI, Albany, Mound City, and Gallatin Tournaments.

Class 1

5. South Iron

Slater moved up to Class 2

Reactions: you_dont_know_me
I saw a post about Ballard don’t know much about them but maybe there a sleeper

Sitting at 1-3 with losses to Montrose, Hume and Osceola. Maybe there's more to it, and I do wish them the best, but I don't see them doing anything in their district even.

What does everyone know about Mound City? Can't find their scores anywhere.
They are really, really good. They have been blowing everyone out so far. They won the Mound City Tournament. They beat a good Rock Port team by about 40. The first real test will be Stanberry Tournament with Platte Valley. They could face them again at North Platte Tournament, but Mid-Buchanan will also be at that one. North Andrew is also in both tournaments, but I think they are a level below those teams. They will face Platte Valley in a regular season game on Feb 4.

Last edited:
I think Mound City is better than Platte Valley this year. Platte Valley will give them a challenge like they (Jefferson) did last year, but Tony Osburn is probably the best player in the area after Ethan Kilgore. Jefferson was able to shut him down in the sectionals, but I think Mound City and Osburn have learned from that. I am not counting Platte Valley out, but Mound City is my pick to go to state.

Golden City doesn't get much mention but they have a senior 2000+ point scorer who is averaging around 30 a game and two other big time scorers on their team. They beat a solid Class 3 Pleasant Hope team tonight by 30. They are really a fun team to watch.

Reactions: Arcola
Lesterville beat a salty STL Carnahan team last night 59-56. They were held to 2 points in the 3rd Qtr by a stingy Carnahan defense. Went into the 4th trailing 12 I believe and came out and held Carnahan to 9 and won by 3. I think they’ve earned that poll spot

Was just looking at the MSHSAA site, Lakeland who moved up to class 2 this year beat Leeton who is ranked in class 1 by 20 at Leeton. Lakeland also won the WEMO conference tourney.

Maxpreps rankings...always fun.... except some teams don't update theirs... (mound city and Platte Valley)

1 South Iron (Annapolis) 5-0 17.7 2.0
2 Northeast (Cairo) 6-1 14.3 2.1
3 Dora 6-1 13.7 3.7
4 St. Elizabeth 6-1 13.4 2.4
5 Meadville 7-1 10.0 -3.6
6 Lesterville 5-1 9.6 -1.4
7 Worth County (Grant City) 4-2 6.8 2.2
8 Golden City 5-1 6.1 -5.5
9 Keytesville 4-1 6.1 -5.4
10 Concordia 5-1 5.9 -5.4
11 Liberal 3-2 5.8 3.3
12 Winston 5-2 5.3 -2.9