ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinals thoughts

fbguy

Jul 23, 2001
Class 6-

I thought CBC had some deficiencies (for them) at the QB position that the Liberty North defense would be able to exploit. I guess CBC is just better than I gave them credit for. I would hope that LSN can give them a better game this week. It may take a few breaks and a near perfect game.

Class 5-

Fort Osage v Cape Girardeau Central: I think it will come down to whether or not Central’s youth can be taken advantage of by a more experienced bunch. Maybe the homefield advantage and the long trip by Ft Osage will help.

Carthage v Francis Howell: The only 1 v 2 matchup of the week. Francis Howell has a clear advantage in the passing game and special teams. Will it be enough against Gall? Should be a good one to find out.

Class 4-

St Mary’s v Smithville: St Mary’s can score points in bunches. Will Smithville be able to control the clock, drive the ball and finish? I’d love to see this one.

St Dominic v West Plains: St Dominic has been only an above average to good team most of the season. Is the return of Jackson Overton enough to put them over the top? Will be excited to find out.

Class 3-

Pleasant Hill v Cardinal Ritter: Truth be told, I didn’t expect Pleasant Hill to beat Maryville. Will be interesting to see if they can continue the magic against what has to be one of the largest prohibitive favorites.

Sullivan v Reeds Spring: Similar teams in some ways. Although Reed Spring seems to have played the tougher schedule, both teams seem to have improved throughout the year but had some lackluster performances against mediocre teams once the postseason started. Which one will bring their A game?

Class 2-(to me, the most interesting of the final fours)

Blair Oaks v Bowling Green: Along with Hair, Blair Oaks brings a very disciplined team to the field each week. Their defense may get challenged unlike anything they’ve seen this season with a prolific scoring machine in Bowling Green. Will Blair Oaks be the wrench in that machine?

Seneca v Lamar: Both teams bring a storied tradition to the game, Lamar’s just a bit more recent. Will Lamar reign supreme or does Seneca have enough to reveal that this king has no clothes?

Class 1-(know very little about this classification)

Duchesne v East Buchanan: A lot has been made of Duchesne’s schedule and playing many larger schools. Will it be enough to take on the returning champs?

Adrian v Monroe City: Their loss to Tipton a puzzle, does Adrian have enough to give Monroe City their first loss of the season when it counts the most?

Fun fact-Of the 11 games being played this weekend, not including 8-man, over the years I’ve seen football in 6 of the 11 stadiums and 13 of the 22 teams playing.

For those of us not as familiar with the St Louis area, who is Jackson Overton? Has he not played before this week?

Class 6-

I thought CBC had some deficiencies (for them) at the QB position that the Liberty North defense would be able to exploit. I guess CBC is just better than I gave them credit for. I would hope that LSN can give them a better game this week. It may take a few breaks and a near perfect game.

Class 5-

Fort Osage v Cape Girardeau Central: I think it will come down to whether or not Central’s youth can be taken advantage of by a more experienced bunch. Maybe the homefield advantage and the long trip by Ft Osage will help.

Carthage v Francis Howell: The only 1 v 2 matchup of the week. Francis Howell has a clear advantage in the passing game and special teams. Will it be enough against Gall? Should be a good one to find out.

Class 4-

St Mary’s v Smithville: St Mary’s can score points in bunches. Will Smithville be able to control the clock, drive the ball and finish? I’d love to see this one.

St Dominic v West Plains: St Dominic has been only an above average to good team most of the season. Is the return of Jackson Overton enough to put them over the top? Will be excited to find out.

Class 3-

Pleasant Hill v Cardinal Ritter: Truth be told, I didn’t expect Pleasant Hill to beat Maryville. Will be interesting to see if they can continue the magic against what has to be one of the largest prohibitive favorites.

Sullivan v Reeds Spring: Similar teams in some ways. Although Reed Spring seems to have played the tougher schedule, both teams seem to have improved throughout the year but had some lackluster performances against mediocre teams once the postseason started. Which one will bring their A game?

Blair Oaks v Bowling Green: Along with Hair, Blair Oaks brings a very disciplined team to the field each week. Their defense may get challenged unlike anything they’ve seen this season with a prolific scoring machine in Bowling Green. Will Blair Oaks be the wrench in that machine?

Seneca v Lamar: Both teams bring a storied tradition to the game, Lamar’s just a bit more recent. Will Lamar reign supreme or does Seneca have enough to reveal that this king has no clothes?

Duchesne v East Buchanan: A lot has been made of Duchesne’s schedule and playing many larger schools. Will it be enough to take on the returning champs?

Adrian v Monroe City: Their loss to Tipton a puzzle, does Adrian have enough to give Monroe City their first loss of the season when it counts the most?

Fun fact-Of the 11 games being played this weekend, not including 8-man, over the years I’ve seen football in 6 of the 11 stadiums and 13 of the 22 teams playing.
I believe Adrian was missing both of their starting RBs and an O lineman during their loss to Tipton
All of which I’m assuming started on D as well

For those of us not as familiar with the St Louis area, who is Jackson Overton? Has he not played before this week?
According to the internet he was injured a week before the season started and didn’t get cleared to play until right before the Quarterfinal game.

Also says he’s a 2 time all state RB
5’7 155 lbs
4.42 laser timed 40
10.95 100 m dash

I’d say he’ll help.
He’s pretty much as fast as Heston Miller(in the 40 at least) minus 6 inches and minus about 50 lbs

D1 offers from Murray State, Dayton, Valpo, Drake, Butler, and St Thomas

Ran for 1,200 yards as a junior.

He better hope his o line can contain the Zizzer D, that’s all I’ve gotta say. He may be fast, but he’s small.

According to the internet he was injured a week before the season started and didn’t get cleared to play until right before the Quarterfinal game.

Also says he’s a 2 time all state RB
5’7 155 lbs
4.42 laser timed 40
10.95 100 m dash

I’d say he’ll help.
He’s pretty much as fast as Heston Miller(in the 40 at least) minus 6 inches and minus about 50 lbs

D1 offers from Murray State, Dayton, Valpo, Drake, Butler, and St Thomas

Ran for 1,200 yards as a junior.

He better hope his o line can contain the Zizzer D, that’s all I’ve gotta say. He may be fast, but he’s small.
He is surprisingly tough to bring down for his size and is very patient. He will read blocks well and squirt off to a side and be gone. I felt bad for him when he broke his collarbone in the jamboree.

His Stl Post Dispatch numbers have him at 700 yards as a freshman, 1300 as a sophmore, 1231 as a junior.

Last edited:
Class 6-

Class 5-

Class 4-

Class 3-

I will be at Smithville no matter the weather Saturday. All these apples vs. oranges games are of naturally high interest but I will be paying very close attention to that one huge Big 8 rematch and another in the C6 title game which we will cover right after returning home................

The Saturday forecast, at least for SWMO, has taken a not-so-nice turn. What had been predicted as sunny and mid-50s is now mid-40s, 10 mph NW wind and 97% chance of rain. Lovely. (If I’m giving the mshsaa heavies $10, I would at least like to be comfortable. But I digress) Wind and rain, while it won’t affect either the Carthage or Lamar fields, will affect strategy and game plans.
Have fun and safe travels everyone.

Wow as I look at these semis I realize that four of Monett's loses came to schools that are in the semis this year. So I have seen 4 of these schools actually play and got to see Carthage in the jamboree.

The rematch between Lamar and Seneca, I really believe Lamar has a better defense but Seneca probable is more dynamic and has more weapons on offense. But I think Lamar should come out on top.

We played Reeds early in the year, I felt they were good but if you would have told me they would be in the semis back then I would have been surprised, they really play well together and continue to win even if ugly sometimes.

West Plains sort of reminded me of Reeds and I felt like we played three teams that are better than them in our conference. I don't know if their path was just easier or the playoff matchups have favored them, but having seen and played both Nevada and West Plains hands down Nevada in my opinion was way better and I would have believed they would be in the Semis and not WP. But they are not and West Plains Continues to win and march on. So good luck to them.

Reactions: Arcola
In addition to what ChaoticFanatic wrote about the kid, his first touch for the season this week went for a 46 yd TD. You've got to admit, it's a pretty special story and great for any senior to be able to come back from an injury like that and be able to play in the playoffs because your team without you was able to get you there.

perhaps some changes to game plans, considering game plans were likely made when the forecast was warm, no rain, and very little wind. Grateful Reeds Spring has turf, as well, some grass fields could get a little rough, especially those that took a beating a couple weeks ago.

Wow as I look at these semis I realize that four of Monett's loses came to schools that are in the semis this year. So I have seen 4 of these schools actually play and got to see Carthage in the jamboree.

The rematch between Lamar and Seneca, I really believe Lamar has a better defense but Seneca probable is more dynamic and has more weapons on offense. But I think Lamar should come out on top.

We played Reeds early in the year, I felt they were good but if you would have told me they would be in the semis back then I would have been surprised, they really play well together and continue to win even if ugly sometimes.

West Plains sort of reminded me of Reeds and I felt like we played three teams that are better than them in our conference. I don't know if their path was just easier or the playoff matchups have favored them, but having seen and played both Nevada and West Plains hands down Nevada in my opinion was way better and I would have believed they would be in the Semis and not WP. But they are not and West Plains Continues to win and march on. So good luck to them.
I know that you weren’t taking a dig at WP, but they were up 35-7 at the end of the 3rd and if they wouldn’t have messed around in the 4th, it could have very easily been a 49-7 game.
Monett scored their second TD literally as time expired in the 4th.
I think indirectly suggesting that WP would have been 4th place in the Big 8 is a BIG reach.

Their 3 losses were
a 17 point loss to a Top 7 team in Class 5,
a 3 point loss to a Top 5 team in Class 5
And a 15 point loss to a Class 6 team in what was easily there worst played game of the year from start to finish.

Nevada wouldn’t have faired any better against WP than Hannibal did.
Even without Williams, Hannibal was a better team than Nevada.

I mean heck, by the logic you just spoke, that would mean that Hannibal and WP would both be a middle of the pack team in the Big 8. That’s just nonsense Bullit. Come on now

Reactions: 2old2slow
In addition to what ChaoticFanatic wrote about the kid, his first touch for the season this week went for a 46 yd TD. You've got to admit, it's a pretty special story and great for any senior to be able to come back from an injury like that and be able to play in the playoffs because your team without you was able to get you there.
He missed the entire season with a broken collarbone?

Reactions: 2old2slow
I know that you weren’t taking a dig at WP, but they were up 35-7 at the end of the 3rd and if they wouldn’t have messed around in the 4th, it could have very easily been a 49-7 game.
Monett scored their second TD literally as time expired in the 4th.
I think indirectly suggesting that WP would have been 4th place in the Big 8 is a BIG reach.

Their 3 losses were
a 17 point loss to a Top 7 team in Class 5,
a 3 point loss to a Top 5 team in Class 5
And a 15 point loss to a Class 6 team in what was easily there worst played game of the year from start to finish.

Nevada wouldn’t have faired any better against WP than Hannibal did.
Even without Williams, Hannibal was a better team than Nevada.

I mean heck, by the logic you just spoke, that would mean that Hannibal and WP would both be a middle of the pack team in the Big 8. That’s just nonsense Bullit. Come on now

Well that is just my worth nothing opinion by watching all those teams play the same team, not trying to dig but honestly Nevada they had thier way with us and I still feel they were the second best team we played this year. We beat Mac pretty easily so I still cannot figure out how Nevada lost to them?

Lamar well they made us look silly, at the time we played them they were the best team we played all year especially because thier defense was so solid, best I had seen in a few years.

Seneca and West plains seemed about the same to me, West Plains had maybe bit more speed and line size, but maybe not as physical overall as Seneca. I would rather again play WP or Seneca, than Nevada or Lamar.

The thing that I was surprised by was how small WP roster was being how big of school they are, I would have thought they would have had more kids playing?

And here is the thing I hope WP can win it all I would rather have lost to the State champ than somebody who gets blown out. But I am wondering if the other side of the bracket in class 4 might be a bit stronger than ours based on what happened to Nevada?

But then again I remember nobody giving us a chance in 16 So you never know that is why you strap in on and play the game every team matches up differently and comparing scores is a waste of time. And again these are just my know nothing observations from watching the teams play.

Reactions: Arcola
Well that is just my worth nothing opinion by watching all those teams play the same team, not trying to dig but honestly Nevada they had thier way with us and I still feel they were the second best team we played this year. We beat Mac pretty easily so I still cannot figure out how Nevada lost to them?

Lamar well they made us look silly, at the time we played them they were the best team we played all year especially because thier defense was so solid, best I had seen in a few years.

Seneca and West plains seemed about the same to me, West Plains had maybe bit more speed and line size, but maybe not as physical overall as Seneca. I would rather again play WP or Seneca, than Nevada or Lamar.

The thing that I was surprised by was how small WP roster was being how big of school they are, I would have thought they would have had more kids playing?

And here is the thing I hope WP can win it all I would rather have lost to the State champ than somebody who gets blown out. But I am wondering if the other side of the bracket in class 4 might be a bit stronger than ours based on what happened to Nevada?

But then again I remember nobody giving us a chance in 16 So you never know that is why you strap in on and play the game every team matches up differently and comparing scores is a waste of time. And again these are just my know nothing observations from watching the teams play.
I was impressed with y’all in 2016. I said to my brother after the game between us that team could go to state.

He and I also watched the Monett game that day as well at state. Fun year.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullitpdq68
Oh I can 100% say that the other side of the bracket is stronger without a doubt.

I like WP chances this Saturday very much but beyond that, it’s just hard to say. I’ve only seen Smithville and St Mary’s once this year but I have a pretty good feeling that either way, WP would be outgunned in that matchup.

Reactions: bullitpdq68
He’s been hurt. He is not very big, but incredibly quick — as quick a player as there is in the state. Ran some impressive 40 times last summer at college camps, etc.

He’s a rare kid that is both quick and fast, probably stands 5’6 140-150ish.

Can also catch the ball, worked out a lot at WR in the summer.

He’s a difference maker IMO

Reactions: Graphic Edge Guy
Oh I can 100% say that the other side of the bracket is stronger without a doubt.

I like WP chances this Saturday very much but beyond that, it’s just hard to say. I’ve only seen Smithville and St Mary’s once this year but I have a pretty good feeling that either way, WP would be outgunned in that matchup.
Agree, I would much rather prefer a Smithville vs West Plains match up. I think we could hang around in that game. We would definitely have to play the best game in our year to stand a chance at winning it.

He missed the entire season with a broken collarbone?
I don't know the kid personally. I just know what I've read and/or heard myself. I just know that expectations went way down for St Dominic when he went down at the jamboree. I don't know details about the injury, but nobody knew if/when he would be able to return this year.

Reactions: Rufus R. Jones
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT