ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff system ramblings

fbguy

Jul 23, 2001
I will say again. I think this current method of our playoffs is the best we’ve ever had.

Here are some thoughts.

The 10 point penalty for playing down a class was voted out so I don’t see it returning.

One of the advantages of the current system is that everyone gets to play 10 games, something I understood to be a deciding factor for this system being put into place. Anything that reduces the number of games played may be a nonstarter.

Another advantage is that schools have complete control over their schedules. Not everyone liked getting rid of the old 4-team districts though because some schools have a harder time filling their schedules.

Springfield Central and Russellville have gotten a lot of grief this year for their schedules. However, Russellville just recently added football and Central really fell into some hard times related to their football program. Any situation that grows the sport and/or keeps a program going, I don’t mind giving the benefit of the doubt.

From what I understand, there was a proposal for only the top 4 in each 8 team district to advance with the last 4 playing a final consolation game with no chance to move on into a postseason. It was voted down previously but it seems there is some support for this proposal to pass when/if it is put to a vote again. I don’t like the idea of a point system though that excludes teams in any way.

To me, SOS makes little sense when teams only play conference games.

IMO, the worst method for seeding districts would be coaches making the decision.

Not really proposing these, but here are some of my thoughts on improving the point system:

• Require all teams to play at least 2 games outside of their conference.
  • Change the points for a win to 30 from 20.
  • A win after a tie in the first extra period is 25. A loss is 15.
  • A win after a tie with 2 or more OT periods gets 21 while a loss is 19
  • Playing up a class still gets a bonus of 10 pts/class.
  • Playing down a class reduces the maximum point differential for a win from +13 to +12 for 1 class, to +9 for 2 classes, +6 for 3 classes, +3 for 4 classes and no points for any win versus a team 5 classes below.

I like the idea of reducing point differential for playing down but not until 2 classes and I don't think schools should be allowed to play down more than 3 classes. At one time I don't think you could play down more than 1 or 2 classes.

I will say again. I think this current method of our playoffs is the best we’ve ever had.

Here are some thoughts.

The 10 point penalty for playing down a class was voted out so I don’t see it returning.

One of the advantages of the current system is that everyone gets to play 10 games, something I understood to be a deciding factor for this system being put into place. Anything that reduces the number of games played may be a nonstarter.

Another advantage is that schools have complete control over their schedules. Not everyone liked getting rid of the old 4-team districts though because some schools have a harder time filling their schedules.

Springfield Central and Russellville have gotten a lot of grief this year for their schedules. However, Russellville just recently added football and Central really fell into some hard times related to their football program. Any situation that grows the sport and/or keeps a program going, I don’t mind giving the benefit of the doubt.

From what I understand, there was a proposal for only the top 4 in each 8 team district to advance with the last 4 playing a final consolation game with no chance to move on into a postseason. It was voted down previously but it seems there is some support for this proposal to pass when/if it is put to a vote again. I don’t like the idea of a point system though that excludes teams in any way.

To me, SOS makes little sense when teams only play conference games.

IMO, the worst method for seeding districts would be coaches making the decision.

Not really proposing these, but here are some of my thoughts on improving the point system:

• Require all teams to play at least 2 games outside of their conference.
  • Change the points for a win to 30 from 20.
  • A win after a tie in the first extra period is 25. A loss is 15.
  • A win after a tie with 2 or more OT periods gets 21 while a loss is 19
  • Playing up a class still gets a bonus of 10 pts/class.
  • Playing down a class reduces the maximum point differential for a win from +13 to +12 for 1 class, to +9 for 2 classes, +6 for 3 classes, +3 for 4 classes and no points for any win versus a team 5 classes below.
Its a winner

I like the idea of reducing point differential for playing down but not until 2 classes and I don't think schools should be allowed to play down more than 3 classes. At one time I don't think you could play down more than 1 or 2 classes.
How can you do this when we don’t even know what the classes will be until first day of the season? Would teams have to cancel games they already scheduled?

Reactions: Cards1968
Having saying this for years, use the system Illinois uses!!! The only thing wrong with the original point system used in Missouri was that there were not enough teams that made the playoffs (only 8, eventually went to 16 per class). Conference winners and teams with 6 wins on a 9 game schedule are in, 5-4 teams go to point system. Divide teams by size and then seed each Class.

Having saying this for years, use the system Illinois uses!!! The only thing wrong with the original point system used in Missouri was that there were not enough teams that made the playoffs (only 8, eventually went to 16 per class). Conference winners and teams with 6 wins on a 9 game schedule are in, 5-4 teams go to point system. Divide teams by size and then seed each Class.
That's the worst idea I've ever heard.

Rufus, what is wrong with rewarding conference champions and teams with winning records? Seeding teams? Illinois has done it for years and do not hear many complaints, you know if you do not win 5 games you are not eligible.

Rufus, what is wrong with rewarding conference champions and teams with winning records?
Because some conferences are good and some are trash. And some aren't in a conference, and shouldn't be punished for it. We all know of shit teams that have shiny records and very good teams that have .500 records. Teams should be encouraged to play good competition, or at least not punished for it. Under the current system, they do. And it usually pays off in the postseason, as it should.
EDIT: Conferences are an outdated concept, left over from before there was a playoff system. "We won conference." Well, whooptedo, who gives a ****. The only reason they still exist is to keep the old dudes at the coffee shop happy and because most AD's are too lazy to put schedules together.

Good points Rufus. I never said I did not like the current system, I just think we should seed it by Class, not worry about travel costs. I just like the Illinois system better. And also, let us stream all the games!!!

Because some conferences are good and some are trash. And some aren't in a conference, and shouldn't be punished for it. We all know of shit teams that have shiny records and very good teams that have .500 records. Teams should be encouraged to play good competition, or at least not punished for it. Under the current system, they do. And it usually pays off in the postseason, as it should.
EDIT: Conferences are an outdated concept, left over from before there was a playoff system. "We won conference." Well, whooptedo, who gives a ****. The only reason they still exist is to keep the old dudes at the coffee shop happy and because most AD's are too lazy to put schedules together.
I agreed with you until your edit. Conferences exist for more than just football. Conferences are not going away because school administrators disagree with you on this. And they are the ones that make the decisions.

Reactions: 65TPT
I agreed with you until your edit. Conferences exist for more than just football. Conferences are not going away because school administrators disagree with you on this. And they are the ones that make the decisions.
The old appeal to authority argument. It's undefeated.
And trust me, school administrators disagree with me on a lot of shit. Many of them have bad opinions based on things other than logic.

Good points Rufus. I never said I did not like the current system, I just think we should seed it by Class, not worry about travel costs. I just like the Illinois system better. And also, let us stream all the games!!!
I think we should take the top 32 in each class. Top 4 are #1 seeds, next 4 are #2 and so on. You can create 4 districts (after teams are selected). Geography can be a consideration in the districts, but not sole criteria. Each class has committed to put together districts.

Can use rating system they have now, but revamp some. However, if teams miss out because they are #33, they probably didn’t have chance to win title anyway.

Remaining teams play an additional game week 10. Games could be scheduled by Committee as well with competition and geography being taken into consideration.

And trust me, school administrators disagree with me on a lot of shit. Many of them have bad opinions based on things other than logic.
It’s not an argument. It’s a fact. But you can keep arguing against conferences. They aren’t going away.

Covering the Grand River Conference has been life changing for me. I see what goes on within this conference day in and day out. I see the friendships between players and coaches. I see the relationships built. It is hard to describe in words, but these things don’t happen covering Class 1 District 8 where teams change every year and it is only one sport. So I think your opinion is based on bad logic that is focused on one sport only and fails to look at the big picture. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn’t make it bad.

Covering the Grand River Conference has been life changing for me. I see what goes on within this conference day in and day out. I see the friendships between players and coaches. I see the relationships built. It is hard to describe in words, but these things don’t happen covering Class 1 District 8 where teams change every year and it is only one sport. So I think your opinion is based on bad logic that is focused on one sport only and fails to look at the big picture. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn’t make it bad.
We're all entitled to our own opinions. Sorry if the old dudes in the coffee shop quip hit a little too close to home. Enjoy those relationships. That's what it's all about.
Just joking. I don't give a rat's ass about that. Or who won conference. Neither does anybody else.

We're all entitled to our own opinions. Sorry if the old dudes in the coffee shop quip hit a little too close to home. Enjoy those relationships. That's what it's all about.
Just joking. I don't give a rat's ass about that. Or who won conference. Neither does anybody else.
Your last sentence is false, but keep living in denial.

Reactions: 65TPT
And we are entitled to our own opinions, but wow. Mine has really hit a nerve with you. I will be here enjoying conference games for the next 40-50 years of my life.

And we are entitled to our own opinions, but wow. Mine has really hit a nerve with you. I will be here enjoying conference games for the next 40-50 years of my life.
No nerves struck. Just proved my comment correct about why conferences still exist. Have fun yucking it up with all the good ole boys. And if the depopulation of that area continues, you'll be lucky if there are any schools still standing in 40-50 years.

No nerves struck. Just proved my comment correct about why conferences still exist. Have fun yucking it up with all the good ole boys. And if the depopulation of that area continues, you'll be lucky if there are any schools still standing in 40-50 years.
Wow. You argument is so incoherent and all over the place.

My grandma told me I should never argue with an idiot because he would just take me down to his level and beat me with experience. So not to risk that, I am done with this discussion.

Conferences are important to more than the Coffee shop crowd.....local rivalries between the overall fan base of geographically close locations is huge in a lot of area's. I don't know maybe in urban and Suburban area's this is not a thing or important. But to a lot of rural area's the conference is important to most. Having a Schedule of revolving teams in a district do to reclassification yearly would take the luster off and diminish the intensity of a lot of games.

Maybe the the powers that be should look at having two system's one for Big Urban/Suburban Schools and another for rural schools. The Big Schools could do away with Conferences and be placed in districts and do there thing. And rural schools could keep local conferences and rivalries and the current system of the playoffs.

Conferences are important to more than the Coffee shop crowd.....local rivalries between the overall fan base of geographically close locations is huge in a lot of area's. I don't know maybe in urban and Suburban area's this is not a thing or important. But to a lot of rural area's the conference is important to most. Having a Schedule of revolving teams in a district do to reclassification yearly would take the luster off and diminish the intensity of a lot of games.

Maybe the the powers that be should look at having two system's one for Big Urban/Suburban Schools and another for rural schools. The Big Schools could do away with Conferences and be placed in districts and do there thing. And rural schools could keep local conferences and rivalries and the current system of the playoffs.
KC and STL Suburban conferences are really super leagues that just rotate teams based on size. And they are in larger classes. So they aren’t like traditional conferences. But you are spot on that conferences are more than just the coffee shop crowd.

I don’t think they would ever have different systems though because you have big schools in rural areas and small schools in suburban.

My only complaint is we need to have a system where you don't play the same teams all over again in the district that you just played in regular season.

Reactions: HoopsTournament
My only complaint is we need to have a system where you don't play the same teams all over again in the district that you just played in regular season.
thanos-impossible.gif

My proposal could fix that. The committee could set matchups that avoid immediate rematches.

I hate that as well for a number of different reasons. One, it's just not super interesting to play the same teams again. Carthage has played Willard twice in a row the last 2 years. They have also played Neosho in consecutive weeks. There have been post seasons that were 4 games deep before they met a non-repeat opponent.

Then there are the highly contested games in districts that cause the regular season games to "not matter" at least to some degree. From the Carthage perspective I love getting a shot at Webb City but I hate playing them twice. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather these teams have one shot and leave it all on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT