ADVERTISEMENT

Not so hypothetical question

HoopsTournament

Jul 30, 2001
Situation: 4th quarter where one team leads by more than 30. A coach calls a timeout. But he only does it to get subs in the game.

Should the clock stop?

The clock should have stopped. The ball should have been in bounded and the clock should start running again once the ball is inbounded. I have seen on numerous occasions the coach calling the timeout gives an informal hand gesture he just wants to do a quick substitution. Some referees may be getting in lax on the rules in those game situations

If it’s a timeout. Shouldn’t it stop until the ball is inbounded? I saw two games this week where they didn’t stop the clock. But not sure what the actual rule is.
they should have.. Clock should have stopped just long enough to get the players on the floor and start with the ball being put back in play...

Have seen the clock stop so subs can get in many times,,,,also I have an issue with running clocks, have seen coaches try to get subs in (during running clocks) only for a free throw shooter situation to eat most of that time up...IMO, clock stops on FT's. why should it not?

Reactions: nwlions
I've never been a big fan of the running clock. I always saw that time as end of bench player time. Those guys have put in their time in practice and now we cut them short when they do get a chance to play some. I could like it better if the clock did stop for timeouts and FTs. One 2 shot FT pretty much kills the clock. That kind of stinks for those kids.

I've never seen it not stop around here if a TO is called but it never does for free throws during a running clock game.

The clock should stop and the team charged with a timeout. There is no "substitution" timeout in NFHS as there is in NCAA. IF one team wants to use said timeout (regardless of who called it) they are allowed to use it. The clock shall restart as it would during normal clock situations.

I've never been a big fan of the running clock. I always saw that time as end of bench player time. Those guys have put in their time in practice and now we cut them short when they do get a chance to play some. I could like it better if the clock did stop for timeouts and FTs. One 2 shot FT pretty much kills the clock. That kind of stinks for those kids.

Strongly agree with this post about the running clock. The blowouts used to be a good chance to play the guys at the end of the bench and give some JV players varsity experience. Much harder to do now.

agree if a losing coach (down by 30 or more) is smart they are hoping either team gets to the free throw line as much as possible with the running clock, and yes those bench kids have a harder time getting minutes

agree if a losing coach (down by 30 or more) is smart they are hoping either team gets to the free throw line as much as possible with the running clock, and yes those bench kids have a harder time getting minutes
I've seen the opposite where the team with the lead starts playing dirty to kill the clock. One of the cheapest, most flagrant fouls I ever saw committed was by a team leading by 52 with seconds left. We were shooting a 3-pointer and the shooter was absolutely slammed. Time expired without him shooting the free throws. That was early in the running-clock era and definitely one of the things that poisoned me against it.

if fouled before the time ran out, you should always get to shoot the free throws even if the clock expires before the attempts.

no doubt.. had one last night that the player got the first free throw off before the clock expired but not the second.....

It seems that if we absolutely must have a running clock (and I don't think that we do), it should be stopped on all fouls.

I might be more amenable to the running clock if it was harder to trigger, say a 50-point margin where its use would be rare.

30 pt lead in the 4th quarter, is plenty wide enough to trigger... Heck football only takes 35 at the half.

30 pt lead in the 4th quarter, is plenty wide enough to trigger... Heck football only takes 35 at the half.

I'm guessing you've never gone through a 23+ loss season, or worse yet 0-26 (been there, done that). The turbo clock just added to the humiliation.

I've seen the opposite where the team with the lead starts playing dirty to kill the clock. One of the cheapest, most flagrant fouls I ever saw committed was by a team leading by 52 with seconds left. We were shooting a 3-pointer and the shooter was absolutely slammed. Time expired without him shooting the free throws. That was early in the running-clock era and definitely one of the things that poisoned me against it.
It seems that if we absolutely must have a running clock (and I don't think that we do), it should be stopped on all fouls.

I might be more amenable to the running clock if it was harder to trigger, say a 50-point margin where its use would be rare.
If they did that there would never be a running clock.

If they did that there would never be a running clock.
That was the point. It's too easy to trigger the running clock. If it's going to exist, it should be rare. I've gone through seasons where it's happened over 1/3 the time. Totally demoralizing.

Reactions: Winston Bishop
I don’t see how you can say it is demoralizing. If the clock doesn’t run you probably lose by another 10-15 points.

I don’t see how you can say it is demoralizing. If the clock doesn’t run you probably lose by another 10-15 points.

Prior to the running clock, though, it was often the case whether the final players off the bench either held the margin or cut the margin. Furthermore, when a player down by 50 is violently fouled to kill the clock and doesn't get to possibly sink three free throws, that doesn't cut the margin. The running clock also plays into poorly behaved student sections who would chant "you suck, you suck". I also feel the running clock encourages running up the score as some coaches up by 28 won't clear the bench.

I've gone through five seasons of 23 or more losses, including a 0-26 mess, so I sadly am an expert on the running clock. I felt it just added to the humiliation and further demoralized an already struggling team. I also feel that getting held under 20 in a varsity boys basketball game is more embarrassing than giving up 80. We had a freshman team come within minutes of getting shut out one year. I'd rather lose 140-40 than get shut out.

On the free throws, I think they should absolutely get any free throws that they earned. That is a no-brainer to me. I have worked tables for years, and a lot of officials will tell you to stop the clock the let a kid take his foul shots if he would not have enough time otherwise. I have never heard a fan complain about it.

THE CLOCK HAS TO STOP!!

We use ALL of our timeouts in the last two minutes in any game we are down 30 or more to draw up plays and prove that we can EXECUTE when it matters most.

If you're not doing this you're not going to win many Post games on Facebook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT