ADVERTISEMENT

Addendum to new free throw rule

BONE62

May 30, 2001
I like the new free throw rule but all season I have been thinking about an addendum to the rule. Then I watched the finals of the Clopton tourney tonight and now I'm sure.' The 4th quarter took 30 minutes. One kid shot between 15 and 20 free throws. It was great strategy for the team who was behind except the kid only missed one. The team that was ahead also fouled but it wasn't on purpose. The team that was behind did cut the lead from 12 to 5 but eventually lost. Here is my addendum. After 10 fouls, not only do you shoot 2 FT's but you get the ball back. Apparently there are no intentional fouls anymore so maybe that would end all of the intentional fouls that are not being called.
As a fan myself I do not want to see a free throw contest and kids walking to the line all the time. It may also help the officials.

Last edited:
I like the new free throw rule but all season I have been thinking about an addendum to the rule. Then I watched the finals of the Clopton tourney tonight and now I'm sure.' The 4th quarter took 30 minutes. One kid shot between 15 and 20 free throws. It was great strategy for the team who was behind except the kid only missed one. The team that was ahead also fouled but it wasn't on purpose. The team that was behind did cut the lead from 12 to 5 but eventually lost. Here is my addendum. After 10 fouls, not only do you shoot 2 FT's but you get the ball back. Apparently there are no intentional fouls anymore so maybe that would end all of the intentional fouls that are not being called.
As a fan myself I do not want to see a free throw contest and kids walking to the line all the time. It may also help the officials.
Or just have a shot clock and the team that's behind can play defense for the length of the shot clock and not have to foul.

Or just have a shot clock and the team that's behind can play defense for the length of the shot clock and not have to foul.
In the case I was talking about the team behind was fouling immediately in the back court. It would not have matter if there was a shot clock.

In the case I was talking about the team behind was fouling immediately in the back court. It would not have matter if there was a shot clock.
They probably should have picked another layer to foul if they only missed 1 ft

In my opinion, without a shot clock, this would not be fair to a team that is behind. Good for them for making their free throws but not all teams do. Would you rather go to a game where it ends quickly due to one team just holding the ball?
I would prefer to pressure and get turnovers, but let's face it the more skilled guards do not turn it over much. It would change the game and take away some of the excitement that can occur when the pressure rises and free throws don't fall. I would vote to leave it alone personally.

Reactions: Missouri Kid
Make your free-throws. It's part of the game. I don't want a shot clock. Most small schools can't get enough people to work the table now you going to add another person. If a team can't handle pressure you going to take away the press? If so, I wish the state would take away the press earlier my teams might have won more games.

Reactions: nwlions
At one point the trailing team outscored them by 7 even though they only missed one free-throw? They must have be raining 3's down.

No more intentional fouls? Is that right?
It's still a rule but no one seems to want to call it. Seems like most think it has to be trying to hurt someone but that's a flagrant foul. The intentional foul is when you push or grab a player just to stop the clock and make no attempt to steal the ball. The rule was put in with the penalty being 2 shots and keep possession to make the penalty enough they won't keep doing that.

It's still a rule but no one seems to want to call it. Seems like most think it has to be trying to hurt someone but that's a flagrant foul. The intentional foul is when you push or grab a player just to stop the clock and make no attempt to steal the ball. The rule was put in with the penalty being 2 shots and keep possession to make the penalty enough they won't keep doing that.
That was the point I was trying to make in my original post. Change the rule. Take the responsibility off the official. Then they can call intentional fouls only on grievous situations. Also, I am on record saying I am against the shot clock.

That was the point I was trying to make in my original post. Change the rule. Take the responsibility off the official. Then they can call intentional fouls only on grievous situations. Also, I am on record saying I am against the shot clock.
NO, pushing and grabbing just to stop the clock SHOULD be more of a penalty than 1&1 free throws. It ain't hard to tell the difference, if they don't make a play for the ball call it! Greivous situations is a FLAGRANT foul.

I don't like the new rule. 5 fouls in a quarter seems to happen every quarter in games im watching. its is ruining the game with this slow down shoot two stuff, make it 7 per quarter if anything, and that wouldn't help much.

Juco women have this rule but the men don't yet for some reason. I don't care for it either.

I've never been a fan of the two shot bonus as I feel it doesn't penalize poor free throw shooting the way the 1-and-1 did. I've had an idea for years that would reward good FT shooting and hopefully keep teams in the lead from fouling.

Team fouls reset at the half.
7-11 fouls: 1-and-1
12 and beyond: Unlimited bonus. A player would keep shooting until missing. Theoretically a team could come back from a double-digit deficit in the closing seconds with the right player on the line.

I'm glad Missouri rejected the shot clock.

I've never been a fan of the two shot bonus as I feel it doesn't penalize poor free throw shooting the way the 1-and-1 did. I've had an idea for years that would reward good FT shooting and hopefully keep teams in the lead from fouling.

Team fouls reset at the half.
7-11 fouls: 1-and-1
12 and beyond: Unlimited bonus. A player would keep shooting until missing. Theoretically a team could come back from a double-digit deficit in the closing seconds with the right player on the line.

I'm glad Missouri rejected the shot clock.
So, to recap: you would like to watch a basketball game where a team is intentionally attempting to slow the pace to a crawl AND in which a player might shoot a bunch of free throws in a row?

Just go to a HS Girls practice to get your fix. The rest of us want to watch basketball.

Mo
So, to recap: you would like to watch a basketball game where a team is intentionally attempting to slow the pace to a crawl AND in which a player might shoot a bunch of free throws in a row?

Just go to a HS Girls practice to get your fix. The rest of us want to watch basketball.

Most of the successful coaches I have known teach players how to eat the clock. A team with a 5-point lead and 1:30 remaining shouldn't be jacking up quick 3-point shots. I've seen a game this year where a team lost because they couldn't manage the clock.

Mo

Most of the successful coaches I have known teach players how to eat the clock. A team with a 5-point lead and 1:30 remaining shouldn't be jacking up quick 3-point shots. I've seen a game this year where a team lost because they couldn't manage the clock.
I agree with your point, which is why those same successful coaches can teach their players how to manage a 35 second (or 45 in AR) shot clock. A team with a 5-point lead and 1:30 remaining should be taking good to great shots and increasing that lead by playing basketball. I've witnessed several teams adjust their priorities from "score and win" to "chew clock and win" and they weren't successful. The time element (shot clock or end of quarters) benefits good teams and good coaches who teach it well.

As far as the new bonus rules, I think it's "early" in the life of the rule AND heavily dependent on the refs... I witnessed a game last night where a team didn't have a foul called on them for the entire 2nd and 3rd quarter and the same team was in the bonus in both quarters with more than 4 minutes to go.

I kind of lean the other way. I don't like seeing the D rewarded for fouling. I'm all in on 2 shots after 5 fouls. I actually like the old NBA 3 to make 2 on shooting fouls. You don't want me shooting a lot of FTs, don't foul so much.

Hate the shot clock... put's less talented teams at even more of a disadvantage.

Go back to the Old FT rule but move the Charity Stripe up to 8 Ft. I know radical. But the %% of makes would go up but still have the 1:1 and possible miss up until the Double Bonus.

Hate the shot clock... put's less talented teams at even more of a disadvantage.

Go back to the Old FT rule but move the Charity Stripe up to 8 Ft. I know radical. But the %% of makes would go up but still have the 1:1 and possible miss up until the Double Bonus.
People talk about the cost of a shot clock and someone to run it but you want every school everywhere to repaint their floor? I guess you would like to move the 3 point line up a few feet too.

People talk about the cost of a shot clock and someone to run it but you want every school everywhere to repaint their floor? I guess you would like to move the 3 point line up a few feet too.
No on the 3pt line…and I never mentioned the extra cost of a shot clock person. But I do know that floors have to be repainted … and I doubt repainting as a normal upkeep would be near the cost of adding shot clocks and the continued expense of paying a person to run it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT