ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and the NIT?

hangmanbobbyjaggers

Sep 19, 2011
If you are a coach of a team and you have players that are paid a good NIL package to represent the University, Should they be required to play in the NIT?

They're not paid to represent the university. They're paid to represent a private business. How those contracts are written is up to them.

The only recourse the university might have is to bill the player a partial cost of their scholarship for the games they refuse to play.

They're not paid to represent the university. They're paid to represent a private business. How those contracts are written is up to them.

The only recourse the university might have is to bill the player a partial cost of their scholarship for the games they refuse to play.
Name Image Likeness. Every commercial I have seen or players out in public doing things for the NIL have on the college apparel. If that does not represent the college, I do not know what does.

Name Image Likeness. Every commercial I have seen or players out in public doing things for the NIL have on the college apparel. If that does not represent the college, I do not know what does.
"Represent" the college doesn't equate contracted by the college. The university has no official say in it. Now, could it hurt their future money making in regards to NIL and be dependant on how they "perform" under their current contract? Sure, that's the business world. Pitino/Moser et al that missed the tourney and turned bids down are far more concerned with getting a jump on the portal than they are with prepping for a meaningless game with [insert also ran team of choice here].

"Represent" the college doesn't equate contracted by the college. The university has no official say in it. Now, could it hurt their future money making in regards to NIL and be dependant on how they "perform" under their current contract? Sure, that's the business world. Pitino/Moser et al that missed the tourney and turned bids down are far more concerned with getting a jump on the portal than they are with prepping for a meaningless game with [insert also ran team of choice here].
Most often, they need to because kids said they did not want to play and they are leaving the institution. They are contracted by their scholarship they are given and should do what the coach and AD decide, not what the players decide. To me, it is another way of developing the younger kids on the roster in those tournaments to prepare for next season. If kids opt out, so be it. Play the ones that want to be there.

I can't remember if it was a deal in the bowl season or not, so someone fill me in. Was much said about players opting out of bowl games and their NIL endorsements? That would seem like a big deal. If I'm paying a stud to hawk my widget company and he opts out of the XYZ Bowl, I'm feeling slighted, right?
(I think I long for the simpler days when stars were paid with McDonald's sacks full of cash and given cars for jobs not actually performed)

Reactions: Expect2Win
Most often, they need to because kids said they did not want to play and they are leaving the institution. They are contracted by their scholarship they are given and should do what the coach and AD decide, not what the players decide. To me, it is another way of developing the younger kids on the roster in those tournaments to prepare for next season. If kids opt out, so be it. Play the ones that want to be there.
A school could take that stance. And I would wish that school luck in fielding a team the next time around.

FWIW, I don't think the bigger schools that are skipping the NIT did so because they couldn't field a team. They don't give a damn about it. Hell, Pitino just said in an interview his time is better spent chasing the portal.

Why would any of these teams or kids, especially in bigger conferences want to do this? What's the incentive? You want them to play? Then the NCAA/NIT need to put together an NIL collaborative and pay the winners.

I can't remember if it was a deal in the bowl season or not, so someone fill me in. Was much said about players opting out of bowl games and their NIL endorsements? That would seem like a big deal. If I'm paying a stud to hawk my widget company and he opts out of the XYZ Bowl, I'm feeling slighted, right?
(I think I long for the simpler days when stars were paid with McDonald's sacks full of cash and given cars for jobs not actually performed)
FSU had many opt out

It's a business. They are breaking a contract. I get tired of the crap. Some will stop watching. I haven't watched but 2 or 3 games of MLB since the strike.

You are missing out then because there are some really good teams that play in the NIT.
I think you're missing the point. NOBODY (the ratings) watch it. Not me. I watched a few of the games over the stupid play in games last night. But I had to be on ESPN+ to do it. The NCAA had to buy the NIT to keep it from folding.

The problem is the system is relying on outside sources to pay the salaries of what is essentially an employee. The athlete is signing an NIL with a private individual and is for all intents and purposes, their employee — not the universitiies.

Don’t like the system, then change it.

The NCAA could re-organize and treat athletes like employees and require them to sign a contract that includes all sorts of stipulations.

Which is the exact system used for the coaches.

The ncaa is like mshsaa. They are only as powerful as the schools let them be. Ncaa is being careful because they really are not needed as the big schools see it.

The problem is the system is relying on outside sources to pay the salaries of what is essentially an employee. The athlete is signing an NIL with a private individual and is for all intents and purposes, their employee — not the universitiies.

Don’t like the system, then change it.

The NCAA could re-organize and treat athletes like employees and require them to sign a contract that includes all sorts of stipulations.

Which is the exact system used for the coaches.
At this point I don't know why the big boys don't just create their own professional league and take education completely out of it. Set some rules on contracts and eligibility and just hire players. Have a draft and everything. It's all about the money for everyone anymore. School has nothing to do with it. Quit pretending it does. Get some control back as far as pay and transferring.

Reactions: Missouri Kid
At this point I don't know why the big boys don't just create their own professional league and take education completely out of it. Set some rules on contracts and eligibility and just hire players. Have a draft and everything. It's all about the money for everyone anymore. School has nothing to do with it. Quit pretending it does. Get some control back as far as pay and transferring.
Out of the wilderness, a voice of reason!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT