ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State Snubbed

The NCAA and committee keep moving the goalposts in terms of what they are looking for. A few years ago all you heard about was NET. Well, Indiana State was a Top 30 NET team. Now all they talk about is the number of Quad 1 wins, something they know that mid majors are going to struggle to get. Indiana State will only be able to get a small number of Q1 games, and most of these wouldn't even be on their home court. In the cases of most mid majors they can only get non conference Q1 games on the road, and even then if you're a good team nobody will want to schedule you in the first place. Sucks, but that's the reality. This isn't the NCAA tourney of old.

Did you feel that way when the Bears were snubbed?

The Bears didn't deserve to get in that year. Zero good wins outside of the MVC. Bradley's injured player meant the selection committed had to consider what type of season Bradley would've had with him playing. They weren't going to give the MVC FIVE teams that year. No way. Losing in the first round of the MVC tourney gave the selection committee all the excuse they needed to "snub" the Bears. That 21 RPI was nonsense. We all saw how far off that Bears team was when they got killed by an average Louisville team in the NIT.

Now, 2006-07 should've been the team to make it. They had THE BEST WIN IN MSU REGULAR SEASON HISTORY when they knocked off #7 Wisconsin in November. A Wisconsin team that would've been a #1 seed in the tournament had Brian Butch not broken his arm late in the season. However, the Bears had a HORRIBLE February losing BADLY at home in a bracket-busters game against Davidson and an ESPN2 home game against SIU. That team had a 36 RPI and didn't get selected.

That's why I was so opposed to Barry Hinson. His teams NEVER won the 2-3 games in his better seasons that would've gotten them an at-large bid to the Dance. They always fell short.

Even in his first season, if they had beaten SMU in the finals of the MSU tournament and not had a BAD loss to UMKC, they would've gotten in as at an-large. In the end, they beat SMU in a first-round NIT rematch, which was nice, but beating SMU the first time was the game they needed to win.

Indiana St controlled their own destiny and fell flat. They have no one to blame but themselves

Way too many bids are given to the "power conferences" Sooners were the first team out and I have no problem with it. Yes, they played in the best conference in the nation, but I dont care, If you cant go .500 in your league, you dont deserve to go to the big dance. Give more mid majors a chance. Indiana State should be in....

And "Glendale" Yes, Barry Henson's crew should have been in the tournament and heshould not have been fired when he was....

Reactions: thetophat2021
The Bears didn't deserve to get in that year. Zero good wins outside of the MVC. Bradley's injured player meant the selection committed had to consider what type of season Bradley would've had with him playing. They weren't going to give the MVC FIVE teams that year. No way. Losing in the first round of the MVC tourney gave the selection committee all the excuse they needed to "snub" the Bears. That 21 RPI was nonsense. We all saw how far off that Bears team was when they got killed by an average Louisville team in the NIT.

Now, 2006-07 should've been the team to make it. They had THE BEST WIN IN MSU REGULAR SEASON HISTORY when they knocked off #7 Wisconsin in November. A Wisconsin team that would've been a #1 seed in the tournament had Brian Butch not broken his arm late in the season. However, the Bears had a HORRIBLE February losing BADLY at home in a bracket-busters game against Davidson and an ESPN2 home game against SIU. That team had a 36 RPI and didn't get selected.

That's why I was so opposed to Barry Hinson. His teams NEVER won the 2-3 games in his better seasons that would've gotten them an at-large bid to the Dance. They always fell short.

Even in his first season, if they had beaten SMU in the finals of the MSU tournament and not had a BAD loss to UMKC, they would've gotten in as at an-large. In the end, they beat SMU in a first-round NIT rematch, which was nice, but beating SMU the first time was the game they needed to win.
Yes I was talking about 2006.
That’s why I said “Reminds me of the 2006 Bears. The Valley deserves a little more respect.”

Way too many bids are given to the "power conferences" Sooners were the first team out and I have no problem with it. Yes, they played in the best conference in the nation, but I dont care, If you cant go .500 in your league, you dont deserve to go to the big dance. Give more mid majors a chance. Indiana State should be in....

And "Glendale" Yes, Barry Henson's crew should have been in the tournament and heshould not have been fired when he was....

No, they shouldn't have been in the tournament. Sorry. Zero good wins outside of the conference, losing in their first game in the conference tournament, and how horribly they played in the NIT against Louisville prove it. Once again, Barry Hinson's teams NEVER did what they had to do to make the Big Dance!

And, I would've fired Hinson WAY BEFORE he was let go. Typical with MSU, they allowed things to drag out for YEARS when every person knew the score (i.e. Terry Allen, Paul Lusk etc.)

BINGO I lobbied for them to not make the field, too. Played poorly down the stretch and all the Quad 1 losses during that were bad except Houston. Had they simply finished that game they'd be in nobody to blame but themselves!

Indiana St controlled their own destiny and fell flat. They have no one to blame but themselves
Drake is a darned good team again this year. Drake vs. Iowa State may be worth me buying a ticket and going up to Omaha Saturday if that materializes. Many forget they had National Semifinalist Miami-FL on the ropes in the first round last year and let them escape.

Virginias at large bid only validates Indiana States snub.
Colorado State (where FR G Kian Evans from Staley's historic team last year plays) is a very experienced, mature squad I think last night was more about them than UVA. The Rams have a good shot at winning Thursday, too, vs. very inconsistent one man show Texas.

“Since that incredible 85-77 overtime victory in 2019, the Cavaliers haven’t won once in March Madness.”
I truly believe Indiana State deserved a play in spot.

Colorado State (where FR G Kian Evans from Staley's historic team last year plays) is a very experienced, mature squad I think last night was more about them than UVA. The Rams have a good shot at winning Thursday, too, vs. very inconsistent one man show Texas.
CSU is better than Texas. Rodney Terry is fleecing that place. Dude is awful.

CSU is better than Texas. Rodney Terry is fleecing that place. Dude is awful.
nuclear explosion GIF

Getting that bracket feeling again this year....................

Reactions: Arcola
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT