ADVERTISEMENT

Final 4 - who gets left out?

Pancho and Lefty

Feb 6, 2007
Have to see if FL State and Michigan wins or loses, but if they both win, which 1 loss team gets in? Would/could they shut out an undefeated team and put UGA and another still in? To me Bama has to go in, strength of schedule. But then again, UGA has won 29 in a row and 45 out of 47. Kirby just said it pretty well in it's not the most deserving, but the best 4 teams.

Last edited:
Have to see if FL State and Michigan wins or loses, but if they both win, which 1 loss team gets in? Would/could they shut out an undefeated team and put UGA and another still in? To me Bama has to go in, strength of schedule. But then again, UGA has won 29 in a row and 45 out of 47. Kirby just said it pretty well in it's not the most deserving, but the best 4 teams.
Best 4 teams I see right now:
1-Mich
2- Wash
3-Bama
4- UGA

Might be the best four but I don't think you can put Bama in without putting Texas in.
A game 3 months ago isn't the same as a game today.

Texas lost to the 3rd best team in the big 12.
Bama won the SEC with zero losses.

Reactions: HomeyR

dont use that logic it is so horrible, If we cant use games then why freaking play them, furthermore if you wanna vacate a double digit win on the road then i dont wanna hear anything about a 3 point win on nuetral field.

Plan and simple Cant put Bama in without Texas.

hoping FSU loses and my 4 is
Michigan
Washington
Texas
Bama

dont use that logic it is so horrible, If we cant use games then why freaking play them, furthermore if you wanna vacate a double digit win on the road then i dont wanna hear anything about a 3 point win on nuetral field.

Plan and simple Cant put Bama in without Texas.
You seem really cranky today.

Look at the schedules.

The big 12 is an absolute joke.
UGA beat 9 mizzou and blew out UF.
Bama beat top 12? Ol Miss. 17 Tenn and 14 LSU

What did texas do? what was their best conf win? 29-26 over tcu?31-24 over houston? I mean are you going to let a team in with their signature conference victory over kANSAS?

You seem really cranky today.

Look at the schedules.

The big 12 is an absolute joke.
UGA beat 9 mizzou and blew out UF.
Bama beat top 12? Ol Miss. 17 Tenn and 14 LSU

What did texas do? what was their best conf win? 29-26 over tcu?31-24 over houston? I mean are you going to let a team in with their signature conference victory over kANSAS?
Just beat the team you are bragging about by double digits on their field. i dont seem cranky i just cant stand stupidity or hose suckers

• Haha
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
I would say every contender team has a good argument and a bad argument that’s why this year is so crazy.

Sincere question… since when does a non-conference game played in September not matter?

If Texas failed to play Alabama, the argument would be made that Texas failed to play the strength of schedule Alabama did. Football is a different monster than basketball, three non-conference games mean everything.

If it doesn’t mean anything, then why did Texas agree to travel to Tuscaloosa and walk out with a 10-point victory?

If anything, that game makes a case for both teams to be in the playoffs, why would an Alabama fan or SEC fan say it isn’t the same?

Sincere question… since when does a non-conference game played in September not matter?

If Texas failed to play Alabama, the argument would be made that Texas failed to play the strength of schedule Alabama did. Football is a different monster than basketball, three non-conference games mean everything.

If it doesn’t mean anything, then why did Texas agree to travel to Tuscaloosa and walk out with a 10-point victory?

If anything, that game makes a case for both teams to be in the playoffs, why would an Alabama fan or SEC fan say it isn’t the same?
because bama plays a real conference schedule.
Texas beat kansas.

• Haha
Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
The Big 12 Commissioner will not be lobbying for Texas to make the Final 4, the Big 12 is salty about Texas and OU leaving. That could make a difference for the selection committee.

Playoff system is the worst in the history of sports. NCAA gets what it deserves. It will be 1. Michigan 2. Washington 3. Florida State 4. Texas "Best" two teams are left out. Chances are pretty good that IF Alabama or Georgia got in, that they would win. But history says they want the most "deserving" teams, not the "best". This year is different because the SEC will be the ones left out but pretty sure what is above is what you will see. Next year will fix this problem but bring new ones. 12 teams is too many. Will make yesterday's games meaningless. 8 is the right number and would have been good this year. Top 7 would have been easy and everyone could have bitched about who was number 8 (including Mizzou fans).

would it really be a national champ without at least one SEC team in the mix?
Ridiculous.
Yes the national championship does not depend on 1 conference. However after seeing all games last night bama needs 4 slot and fsu struggled vs a not do good team.

Fsu needs to sit this one out

Reactions: OldeCoach
Yes the national championship does not depend on 1 conference. However after seeing all games last night bama needs 4 slot and fsu struggled vs a not do good team.

Fsu needs to sit this one out
The conference does matter. If you go undefeated with a crap schedule that doesn't make you better than someone with one loss who actually has to play good teams.

FSU beating LSU doesn't mean much to me since they lost 2 SEC games.

I think bama is in for sure in place of FSU.

Then the conversation turns to UGA vs Tx.

Is a loss to boomer better than a loss to bama (at the end of the season)?

Ehhhhh
Which Bama lost to Tx in the regular season! Now Bama is playing "better then they did in Sept"? 7 days ago, that same Bama team needed a 4th and 31 to beat a team that got HAMMERED by New Mexico St!

Reactions: Pleiku
Which Bama lost to Tx in the regular season! Now Bama is playing "better then they did in Sept"? 7 days ago, that same Bama team needed a 4th and 31 to beat a team that got HAMMERED by New Mexico St!
Yep and tejas struggled with houston, iowa state and tcu.
This is fun.

I think bama is in for sure in place of FSU.

Then the conversation turns to UGA vs Tx.

Is a loss to boomer better than a loss to bama (at the end of the season)?

Ehhhhh
You can't say uga is in because they loss to a good bama team because bama lost to Texas. Damn it man we already went down this road. SEC is not getting 2 teams in. In fact SEC is more likely to get 0 than 2. You have to come back to reality by 11am lol

You can't say uga is in because they loss to a good bama team because bama lost to Texas. Damn it man we already went down this road. SEC is not getting 2 teams in. In fact SEC is more likely to get 0 than 2. You have to come back to reality by 11am lol
we'll see.

Either way, there's gonna be lots of screaming at the sky by some folks .

I always enjoy that!

Veer, you can't leave out a P5 undefeated. Do I think they should be in the F4, no! But they wont leave them out!

Yep and tejas struggled with houston, iowa state and tcu.
This is fun.
Were any of those 7 days ago? SEC teams arent the only ones that improve over the year!
I think it's going to be WA, Mich, Tx and FSU. What I think it should be WA, MI, TX and GA!

Simply put, the non-stop, over the top, chest thumping from SEC member schools, its fans and its media constantly reminding the world how great the SEC is at football grows old. I am absolutely not questioning the talent, the coaching, the level of play, the national championships, the players in the pros, the draft picks, etc. The success speaks for itself, playing an SEC schedule provides a true challenge for the conference during the regular season and is the toughest of the Power 5 (or is it 3 now) conferences.
I am an absolute HUGE college baseball fan and I have a ton a respect for the SEC on the baseball side of things, but it is 180 degree opposite for football. It is tiresome. Therefore, this season, the final year of the four-team playoff debacle before it turns into a 12-team tournament and the SEC will begin its assault on that format claiming it deserves to have six teams in the 12-team field, it would be nice to humble the mighty SEC just this year, and leave them out. Have four teams play in the New Years Six bowls, cash those massive bowl checks, enjoy the cash flow that is SEC football, starting next year the SEC will possess every college football blue blood not named Michigan and Ohio State, at some point the SEC may secede from the NCAA and form its own athletic association. If and when that happens, I look forward to traveling to the new SEC version of the College World Series hopefully held some place that is an easy drive.

Has to be Michigan, Washington, FL State as undefeated conf champs. Can't bump Wash or FL St bc they may lose or conf is weaker. 4 spot is a wildcard. Comes down to when #1 loses, how far can they drop vs when #7 and 8 win, how far can they jump. What a mess and great for drama. Surprised they don't charge $9.99 for the selection show; they would make millions.

Unless they shortened the schedule, before the demise of the Pac 12, 6 teams would have been perfect. Power 5 winner and the next best. Give 1 and 2 a bye, then play it out.

Other side of it, and what can really harm the product, is if the SEC champ is left out, you will have teams stop scheduling the great early season non conf games. Bama has no incentive to play Texas, FL state vs A@M type games.

Has to be Michigan, Washington, FL State as undefeated conf champs. Can't bump Wash or FL St bc they may lose or conf is weaker. 4 spot is a wildcard. Comes down to when #1 loses, how far can they drop vs when #7 and 8 win, how far can they jump. What a mess and great for drama. Surprised they don't charge $9.99 for the selection show; they would make millions.

Unless they shortened the schedule, before the demise of the Pac 12, 6 teams would have been perfect. Power 5 winner and the next best. Give 1 and 2 a bye, then play it out.

Other side of it, and what can really harm the product, is if the SEC champ is left out, you will have teams stop scheduling the great early season non conf games. Bama has no incentive to play Texas, FL state vs A@M type games.
Gonna disagree here it's the 4 best teams not the 4 best records. FSU could have maybe stayed in if they beat Louisville handily but it was a close game down to the end

There is a clause in the protocols for the committee that says they can consider key losses of personnel when making the final determination of the top 4 teams.

The real excitement would be to film the board room when they are making the decisions. Now that would be entertainment!

Well strangely enough they didn’t give me a last minute call and ask what I thought. What excitement though. Ratings for Bama Michigan will be off the charts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT