ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoffs

Mister_Wizard

Aug 26, 2016
Mizzou in, or out?

Had to start with that since this is a MOsports board.

NCAA, please expand the playoffs to 8 teams. There used to be so much debate about which two teams to put in the championship game, and you wisely expanded to four teams. But there’s almost always going to be a fifth or sixth team that has a good argument for making the top 4.

You don’t really see any arguments for Penn State, Clemson, or Washington being deserving (the current next tier of rated teams at 8, 9 and 10). Ie if the #9 team gets left out, pretty much nobody is saying they got screwed.

Let numbers 9 and below bowl eligible teams all play before new year’s. Then my tourney would look like this, for example, yearning for the old days of the big four bowl games on New Year’s Day:

11am - Orange Bowl
#3 TCU vs. #6 Tennessee

2pm - Cotton Bowl
#4 Ohio State versus #5 Alabama

5pm - Sugar Bowl
#1 Georgia vs #8 Clemson

8pm Rose Bowl
#2 Michigan vs #7 USC
(The old Big 10 vs PAC 10 matchup)

SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC all represented.

January 8 - NCAA Final Four games at two prescheduled locations.

January 15 - Championship game at TBD
(Just six days after this years scheduled ‘ship)

New Years Day I’d be glued to the TV like the good old days.

Reactions: Toots_mcgee
There needs to be either 8 or 16. This garbage of giving four first round byes for the major conferences champions is nonsense. No byes for anyone!

Reactions: HomeyR
My outlook..

1.) Georgia (13-0)
2.) Michigan (13-0)
3.) Ohio State (11-1)
4.) TCU (12-1)

And no, I’m not an Ohio State fan with that move to 3, I’d actually like to see Michigan win it all.

These are the four teams that have won the most and lost the least.

Every team left has 2 or more losses.

My outlook..

1.) Georgia (13-0)
2.) Michigan (13-0)
3.) Ohio State (11-1)
4.) TCU (12-1)

And no, I’m not an Ohio State fan with that move to 3, I’d actually like to see Michigan win it all.

These are the four teams that have won the most and lost the least.

Every team left has 2 or more losses.
Sorry. But OSU got trashed by 22 AT HOME. Get outta here.

Mizzou in, or out?

Had to start with that since this is a MOsports board.

NCAA, please expand the playoffs to 8 teams. There used to be so much debate about which two teams to put in the championship game, and you wisely expanded to four teams. But there’s almost always going to be a fifth or sixth team that has a good argument for making the top 4.

You don’t really see any arguments for Penn State, Clemson, or Washington being deserving (the current next tier of rated teams at 8, 9 and 10). Ie if the #9 team gets left out, pretty much nobody is saying they got screwed.

Let numbers 9 and below bowl eligible teams all play before new year’s. Then my tourney would look like this, for example, yearning for the old days of the big four bowl games on New Year’s Day:

11am - Orange Bowl
#3 TCU vs. #6 Tennessee

2pm - Cotton Bowl
#4 Ohio State versus #5 Alabama

5pm - Sugar Bowl
#1 Georgia vs #8 Clemson

8pm Rose Bowl
#2 Michigan vs #7 USC
(The old Big 10 vs PAC 10 matchup)

SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC all represented.

January 8 - NCAA Final Four games at two prescheduled locations.

January 15 - Championship game at TBD
(Just six days after this years scheduled ‘ship)

New Years Day I’d be glued to the TV like the good old days.

They did expand it.

The College Football Playoff Board of Managers members have agreed that the expanded 12-team CFP field will begin with the 2024-25 season. In September, the board voted to start the 12-team playoff field in 2026, though it left open the possibility of moving that up to 2024 or 2025

Sorry. But OSU got trashed by 22 AT HOME. Get outta here.
You mean their only loss on the season is to the #2 team in the country in a rivalry game?

What are the other options?

Alabama lost to Tennessee, lost to a 4-loss LSU squad, barely beat unranked A&M, barely beat unranked Ole Miss.
So Alabamas a no for me.

USC lost to the same team twice.
That’s a no go.

Tennessee has two losses, one of which was a 3+ TD loss to the 7-4 Gamecocks
That’s a no go.

The next team up on the rankings is Penn State who have lost to both Michigan and Ohio State, so that’s a no go.

After that we’ve got 10-2 Clemson who lost to Notre Dame & 7-4 South Carolina and barely beat unranked Wake Forest & barely beat unranked Syracuse. So that’s a no go.

What I’m saying essentially is that there isn’t a team left that has performed at a level to deserve a berth in the current CFP.

There are only 2 undefeated teams and 2 teams with 1 loss.

Ohio States only loss was to the #2 team in the country in a rivalry game and TCUs was by a FG to the #10 team in the country.

Again, I’d like to see Michigan win it all.
And I think the CFP will see dollar signs with a potential Michigan/Ohio State semifinal.

That’s just my opinion.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT