Republic
Carthage
WC

Neosho
Ozark
Willard
CJ
Branson

Feel ok about the top 5. Bottom 5 not so much.

Nixa is the team to beat.

For those predicting WC to win Class 5 I’ll say,
This ain’t 2012 and Rod ain’t the Coach.

CJs first year trying to run the split back option will make for a really long season. Stamp it.

Joplin has some speed and I’ve seen enough of the coach Jasper teams to say if he’s there, the Eagles have a shot. A little defense this year boys, please.

Carthage…Meh. No Gall.

Republic- I look for this smash-mouth team to rumble their way to bronze.

Who you like?

For me, flip Joplin and Nixa, then WC and Carthage and I agree!

Joplin and Nixa are about equal imo. Im giving Joplin the edge at home. Tough 3 game stretch at WC...Nixa at home then at Republic. If Joplin wins the COC they will have earned it.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Since Joplin joined the COC, my view of the conference has been a three-tier approach:

THE GAUNTLET DIVISION
Webb City
Nixa
Joplin
Carthage
NOTES -- Imagine playing these four teams on four consecutive weeks, thus The Gauntlet. While each program enjoys whatever success is earned in the COC, each program has its eyes on larger goals and each has proven since the Joplin merger capable of making a run to the state championship game or at least the state semifinals. To win the COC a program must either go 4-0 vs. The Gautlet or at worst 3-1.
2023 -- The Gauntlet Division will go 1, Nixa. 2, Joplin. 3, Webb City.

DIVISION II
Republic
Neosho
Ozark/Carl Junction
NOTES -- This is where the COC has more questions than answers. Each of these programs (again only since the Joplin merger because mind you the first two years CJ was in the COC, the program was a combined 13-3 in 2016/2017 in league games) tend to flux with the talent pool available and changes in coaching staffs. Obviously Republic is trending up and looking to advance into the Gauntlet Division for 2023 and are probably poised to do just that. But going 1-3 against the Gauntlet is not enough to move up into the Gauntlet Division, this year needs to be a 3-1 or at worst 2-2 against the Gauntlet. Neosho proved last year offensively they could score points, if they find any defense to get enough stops this year perhaps they could be the team that makes the move up. Jury is still out on Ozark and Carl Junction until Friday night. Once those two play each other I'll have a lot better feel about where each team is at with new coaches, new systems and how the talent has adapted.
2023 -- 4, Republic. 5, Neosho. 6, Carthage. 7/8 Ozark/CJ winner.

DIVISION III
Willard
Branson
NOTES -- It is always tough to get a read on these two programs. In 2019, Willard had the look and talent in the pipeline to make a push up toward the top of the Division II, but regressed the next two seasons and have won only five conference games since that 2019 season. Branson, since Joplin joined the COC, has won 10 conference games. It is a tough conference to build a program. I'm of the belief in order to build, it's a matter of being competitive vs. each opponent. A 21-7 loss does feel a lot different than a running clock 49-0 game at halftime. For years we have all heard the "run the ball, run the clock, play D, shorten the game and give ourselves a chance to win in the fourth quarter" quote from coaches throughout this region. Well, it can be effective. But it was Larry Bunn who said to me once, "Sometimes it's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's." I don't miss trying keep stats for a Larry Bunn game, but I do miss his play calling and covering the old Big 8 Conference.
2023 -- 9, Branson. 10. Willard.

Last edited:
I usually tend to group the teams into 3 tiers, (1) those who could compete for the championship, (2) those who will jockey for the best position below the 1's, and (3) those who will only beat other "3" teams.

Like most people my 1's this season are Joplin and Nixa. If I had to pick one I'd go with Joplin but it could easily be Nixa, I'm probably just biased towards Joplin.

There are a lot of 2's and this is my (very) rough guess for order: Republic, Webb City, Carthage, Neosho, Carl Junction. But there could be some ties here. I think Republic and Webb City will be the toughest of that group but hoping Carthage will surprise me. I'm looking at Neosho as a potential surprise. I think CJ will be working through a lot of adjusting but I think they belong in this group as well.

Ozark, Branson and Willard I just don't have great feels for. Willard has looked very promising in the not so distant past. So has Ozark. They could/should be better than they are and at some point probably will be, but I don't it this year. It's been a long time for Branson.

I think there will be a lot of good games this year. Just a lot of unknowns and teams with something to prove. Will be interesting to see who comes out swinging and who falls off the wagon.

All the hype around a Republic team who beat a weak webb city with a lot of bounces that went their way and beat a Nixa team who was clearly looking past them. I'll believe it when I see it.

All the hype around a Republic team who beat a weak webb city with a lot of bounces that went their way and beat a Nixa team who was clearly looking past them. I'll believe it when I see it.
I think they will beat Carthage but that is mainly because it's week 1 and I think in week 1 Republic will be more experienced and Carthage will have a lot to figure out.

If they meet again in district I can't say who I would pick at this point but I do believe Carthage will get much better as the season progresses.

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
For whatever reason, I tend to group them in three groups as well.

Tier 1 this season is Joplin and Nixa. I don't think anyone else is as good as these two teams. Not to say they can't lose a game to someone other than themselves, but week after week theses are the two best.

Tier 2 is a bit different group this year. The teams that could jump up and bite a tier 1 team or slip up to a tier 3 team. Repmo's uptick, Webb's coming back to reality a bit, and Carthage losing one of the best damned HS players I've ever seen have all contributed to a different looking middle group.

Tier 3 is crowded. I honestly think it's the weakest the conference has been in a while because the teams in this group are down significantly. A couple (Ozark and CJ) have talent coming, but might be a couple years away. Neosho graduated nearly everyone and their JV wasn't very good at all. Willard will continue to struggle for quite some time. Just not much there. Branson will be "better" I think, due in large part to the addition of Depee. He's a good one.

1. Joplin
  2. Nixa
  3. REPMO
  4. Webb
  5. Carthage
  6. Branson
  7. CJ
  8. Ozark
  9. Neosho
  10. Willard

1 Nixa
2 Joplin
3 Webb City
4 Carthage
5 Republic
6 CJ
7 Branson
8 Neosho
9 Ozark
10 Willard

All sports standings for last year. Nixa dominates obviously. Ozark did well. CJ girls did well.

Joplin
Nixa
Republic
Webb city
Carthage
CJ
Ozark
Willard
Neosho
Branson

With the bottom 5 I’ll usually pick the home team , example Neosho plays at Willard , at CJ and at Branson . Neosho graduated a 1st team all state wr and a 2nd team all state rb , they will still have issues on defense , will still be young with no depth

Joplin, a ton of talent, experience, speed and athleticism on that offense. Defense returns 7 plus I have heard a couple of those kids on offense is playing both ways.
From what I seen at the Jamboree, that D-line has some monsters.

Nixa, Coach Perry knows what he is doing and those kids are bought in. Plus Perry claims he has the best players in the state in which I'm starting not to doubt. It's Between Nixa & Joplin this year.

Republic, Webb City & Carthage after those 2 at the top.

Neosho, CJ, Ozark, Willard & Branson

Nixa
Joplin
Republic
Carthage
WC

Neosho
Ozark
Willard
CJ
Branson

Feel ok about the top 5. Bottom 5 not so much.

Nixa is the team to beat.

For those predicting WC to win Class 5 I’ll say,
This ain’t 2012 and Rod ain’t the Coach.

CJs first year trying to run the split back option will make for a really long season. Stamp it.

Joplin has some speed and I’ve seen enough of the coach Jasper teams to say if he’s there, the Eagles have a shot. A little defense this year boys, please.

Carthage…Meh. No Gall.

Republic- I look for this smash-mouth team to rumble their way to bronze.

Who you like?
What happens when Webb wins Friday night

What happens when Webb wins Friday night
402ee231-66a6-45b2-8f17-b98436902d11_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HHSX2
I’m sure this board will be full of rational, level-headed conversations.
Webb's best shot is double tight end and just run split back at them until they stop it then run it some more. They looked terrible out of the shotgun at the
jamboree I doubt they have gotten much better in a week

Green and the senior heavy line that blocked for him are gone, and I don't see Webb having as many drive killing stupid penalties as they did last year ( I think four times into the red zone to be stopped by penalties)

Could be a better game than most think

Last edited:
Webb's best shot is double tight end and just run split back at them until they stop it then run it some more. They looked terrible out of the shotgun at the

Green and the senior heavy line that blocked for him are gone, and I don't see Webb having as many drive killing stupid penalties as they did last year ( I think four times into the red zone to be stopped by penalties)

Their offense is very deep. 4 deep at rb so yeah. Just pound it. The starting wr didnt play in jamboree. Neither did starting lg or rb to save for gameday. Defense though......just not one db that was like "my fu$(ing ball" they just watched the wr catch it.

I really think it will be a pretty close game. Nixa has some newbies and from what I hear they have not settled on just 1 QB yet either. But the Nixa O-line is going to be tough and will give their skilled position guys some time to settle in.

Joplin
Republic
Nixa
Carl Junction
Carthage
Neosho
Ozark
Willard
Webb City
Branson
Stop it! So you’re saying there’s a chance the Cards avoid bottom basement at the Pirates Expense? Lol.

Cardinals beat Eagles = Crow for me.

Hope it is a dog fight. Had contemplated attending the Carthage game but this one seems more “interesting”.
Nixa Eagles - maybe. Joplin Eagles - no way in hell. Joplin is returning some of the best talent the COC has ever seen.

Reactions: Stimie69er
Webb's JV could beat three or four of the varsity teams he's got them listed behind...with me as head coach. And I'm not even good at Madden.
OK, so maybe I'm being a bit tongue-n-cheek with the Webbies here, but I think CJ's new coach brings some good energy and vibe to town and I am sold that Joplin is one of the top teams in Missouri football this year - their big 4 are elite and lit.

Stamp it.

OK, so maybe I'm being a bit tongue-n-cheek with the Webbies here, but I think CJ's new coach brings some good energy and vibe to town and I am sold that Joplin is one of the top teams in Missouri football this year - their big 4 are elite and lit.

Stamp it.
Energy and vibe don’t mean ish if you can’t block and tackle. That’s what I’m interested in. Can one or two of those teams in the bottom five be worth a damn at actual football? Not winning Twitter or having the catchiest slogan, but actually doing something that matters on the scoreboard. For whatever reason, I think CJ and maybe Branson have the best shot at it this season.

Me thinks you’re right on Joplin. They are really well coached and have some serious dudes. Kind of a killer combo.

Reactions: Flint222

Stamp it.
CJ starting the season with 16 returning starters from last year's group. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Joplin is going to be fun to watch. There is a couple of kids on that team that is not getting mentioned yet but I think they could make a huge impact. Gooch has several targets that can make some plays. The defense will definitely be a step up from last year.

Reactions: Flint222
CJ starting the season with 16 returning starters from last year's group. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Joplin is going to be fun to watch. There is a couple of kids on that team that is not getting mentioned yet but I think they could make a huge impact. Gooch has several targets that can make some plays. The defense will definitely be a step up from last year.

Id put Joplin in the top 10 overall in the state perhaps but not top 5. There some damn good teams in the stl/kc area. Id like to eat some tasty crow so we'll just have to see once the whistle blows.

CJ didn't even have a good offensive line during the good years. I remember Raquion Weston screaming at the lineman to actually block almost weekly.
That's kind of the thing in the spread...if you get it out quickly and can create enough misdirection (QB is a threat to run too), some pretty shoddy line play can survive. Just play the numbers game on whether to run or pass. But man, when you're under center it's pretty damned tough to get much done on offense if you can't compete at the LOS.

Reactions: Missouri Kid
That's kind of the thing in the spread...if you get it out quickly and can create enough misdirection (QB is a threat to run too), some pretty shoddy line play can survive. Just play the numbers game on whether to run or pass. But man, when you're under center it's pretty damned tough to get much done on offense if you can't compete at the LOS.
Yes but last year they had a running QB trying to throw the ball to below average receivers while they had 4 good running backs. Now the QB gets to play more to his strengths and there will be more than 1 RB on the field at a time.

Disagree with the comment that they didn’t have a good O line in the good years. Maybe the reason why they had the good years was because of the offensive lines they had. Buck’s offense, when going well, is actually a run first offense.

I hope you're right about Joplin's defense. That's my biggest concern going into this year. The VanGilder brothers were a huge part of their defense and they're gone now.

Id put Joplin in the top 10 overall in the state perhaps but not top 5. There some damn good teams in the stl/kc area. Id like to eat some tasty crow so we'll just have to see once the whistle blows.
I'm a CJ fan first but also a COC fan in the playoffs (I root for Jasper County no matter what - yes, even Webb City ;) and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE Joplin to smash some of the elite St. Louis Class 6 teams for the title this year. Nothing would make me (and the rest of the COC) more proud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT