ADVERTISEMENT

COC Insight/Guesses

Yea, I think his name is Dontrell, he has been starting since he was a freshman, I believe there is a couple of Joplin players that has started since they was freshman. I believe that Tight End 6-7 230 pound kid has as well.

Dontrell will go d1,isu already offered. The te is coach hafers son if im not mistaken. Joplin most likely will lose to wc,nixa and Carthage,maybe one more.

Dontrell will go d1,isu already offered. The te is coach hafers son if im not mistaken. Joplin most likely will lose to wc,nixa and Carthage,maybe one more.
Yea, hearing Joplin Defense is very green this year so you are most likely right. I think Dontrell has 2 D1 offers now. And your right on the TE. Joplin also has a RB that reminds me of Glades, I don't know if he is starting this year but he looked good at the RayPec summer camp. I think his his last name is Coleman...watch for him. The new QB and returning WR looked good as well.

Last edited:
Wish the COC would go the college conference route and host a media day. Imagine that, all the head coaches, ADs (well, maybe not the ADs, leave them at home) and team captains meet in Joplin one year, Springfield the next and alternate. Have someone like Scoreboard Guy or Ned Reynolds moderate. Gotta think that would bring some folks out and fill up the bulletin boards.
Back in the 80's and 90's maybe even further back the Joplin Globe and Newleader would put out a pretty in depth paper all about high school athlectics lot better than the pigskin preview because they actually had guys that covered the sport not just having coaches send something in.

Reactions: Arcola and 86THS
Looking from afar I was very impressed with how Webb City managed to win state in a loaded Class 5 despite struggling in the regular season. Beat two very good Jackson and Holt teams in the final four with a bunch of returning players who either started or rotated in plenty of times. Nixa seems poised to improve upon last year while nobody should count out Carthage and Joplin. Should be another fun season.

Reactions: Stimie69er
Looking from afar I was very impressed with how Webb City managed to win state in a loaded Class 5 despite struggling in the regular season. Beat two very good Jackson and Holt teams in the final four with a bunch of returning players who either started or rotated in plenty of times. Nixa seems poised to improve upon last year while nobody should count out Carthage and Joplin. Should be another fun season.
And that is your opener: Nixa at Webb City. That will be a CRAZY GOOD game.

Kinda blows my mind Joplin has beat Webb 3 times in a row . When I think of swmo fb I think of Webb , Carthage , and Lamar . Joplin and back in the day cj we're relevant but still an afterthought

Kinda blows my mind Joplin has beat Webb 3 times in a row . When I think of swmo fb I think of Webb , Carthage , and Lamar . Joplin and back in the day cj we're relevant but still an afterthought
Mine too but Joplin barely squeaked by on those wins. Webb City football is Monumental in the state. Just nice to see Joplin with 3 seasons at 10 wins or more in the last 4 years.

Webb is a notorious slow starter as of late so Joplin did get them early. I think of joplin fading a bit later in the year cuz of depth issues. They're a tuff out early in the season being healthy,especially at home.

Webb is a notorious slow starter as of late so Joplin did get them early. I think of joplin fading a bit later in the year cuz of depth issues. They're a tuff out early in the season being healthy,especially at home.
Very interesting observation, as good as Webb has been they don't do anything extra in the summer, you don't see or hear about them at team camps, they don't do 7 on 7 and John even talked about that in an interview, that because of that we might start of slow but as the season goes on we just get better.

Very interesting observation, as good as Webb has been they don't do anything extra in the summer, you don't see or hear about them at team camps, they don't do 7 on 7 and John even talked about that in an interview, that because of that we might start of slow but as the season goes on we just get better.
Like a lot of option teams it takes them a bit to get in sync. Weeks 1-3 the veer is getting tuned up, the timing isn't there and you see a lot of fumbles, then over the course of the year that goes away. I remember when I was back in school in the SCA, Salem had those monster wishbone teams. Week 1 every year they'd have 5 or 6 fumbles, by week 4 it was a completely different animal.

Like a lot of option teams it takes them a bit to get in sync. Weeks 1-3 the veer is getting tuned up, the timing isn't there and you see a lot of fumbles, then over the course of the year that goes away. I remember when I was back in school in the SCA, Salem had those monster wishbone teams. Week 1 every year they'd have 5 or 6 fumbles, by week 4 it was a completely different animal.
Totally agree and you have seen this with Webb, I remember when they lost to CJ several years ago first game of the year they fumbled alot, When they faced them in the playoffs they had that cleaned up.

Their defense was pretty poor to Webb standards the first 8 or so games but they were really good down the stretch against some really good teams. I expect the defense to be better this year but they have a new d coordinator and will be running a different defensive scheme all together so there will be a bit of a learning curve but they have alot of talent
Hicks/Smith moving on?

Old wishbone. Loved that offense. More teams need to go back to it instead of trying to be the spread passing game. When the option is done right, man its special to watch.

Plus they're always fresher come playoff time due to the sheer number of players.

Dave Wiemers from Pitt State is the new DC . I think he was at Carthage last year . Hicks got a principal job and Smith is no longer coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: mizzoutiger13
Surely they practice with their contact days, right?

Hicks/Smith moving on?

The winner of the Webb City/Nixa game may very well determine who wins the conference. So Webb better have it's veer A-game ready to go.
I kinda thought so too but I forgot how much Carthage has returning . It's a 3 horse race imo . I also think Joplin and Republic will be solid but doubt they are in to top 3 . The coc is so stinking good tho that there is no telling . Imo when you take coaching / facilities/ results into question ...the coc may be the toughest league in the state . Almost every year they have 2 of the top 5 schools in class 5 and with the emergence of nixa and Joplin that with their current coaches won't go away anytime soon ... a few of the top 6-7 class 6 schools . The way Ozark and Republic are growing they won't be far behind ....they just need a spark . Carthage baffles me because their numbers are always low but they always have huge talent . I keep waiting for them to drop off big time and it never happens . CJ will be decent in class 4
if not good . Last year they had a good defense but awful offense . Most of their d is back . They should be solid but will lose most of the coc games . Probably make it to the district final and get beat by West Plains . Neosho , Willard , and Branson have alot of work to do . Branson landed a solid coach but I don't have alot of confidence in them

Reactions: thetophat2021
I kinda thought so too but I forgot how much Carthage has returning . It's a 3 horse race imo . I also think Joplin and Republic will be solid but doubt they are in to top 3 . The coc is so stinking good tho that there is no telling . Imo when you take coaching / facilities/ results into question ...the coc may be the toughest league in the state . Almost every year they have 2 of the top 5 schools in class 5 and with the emergence of nixa and Joplin that with their current coaches won't go away anytime soon ... a few of the top 6-7 class 6 schools . The way Ozark and Republic are growing they won't be far behind ....they just need a spark . Carthage baffles me because their numbers are always low but they always have huge talent . I keep waiting for them to drop off big time and it never happens . CJ will be decent in class 4
if not good . Last year they had a good defense but awful offense . Most of their d is back . They should be solid but will lose most of the coc games . Probably make it to the district final and get beat by West Plains . Neosho , Willard , and Branson have alot of work to do . Branson landed a solid coach but I don't have alot of confidence in them
I have heard that Carthage will have a few down years after this year.

Reactions: da bears 25
Yeah as I have read some of the reports, Carthage does have more than I realized so they may be right there in the hunt as well but getting by Nixa and WC will certainly take more than it did last year.

Joplin has the look of a rebuilding team but it was also a sophomore heavy group that won the Ozark Conference a few years back. So in my mind they are at least in the running until they're not.

The first week has some interesting games with Nixa and Republic having opportunities to uncover and exploit early season weakness in otherwise solid opponents. Ozark stole a couple week one head scratchers a few years ago. If Webb punches Nixa in the mouth then we'll know Nixa still isn't quite where the hype is wanting them to be.

Anyone have a head's up on who Webb's starters will be this year? Don't they lose a lot on the offense?
Not really. Just fill the vacancies. Qb started 4 games. Looks thicker than last year. Rbs will have a speedster and 2 bruisers. Jackson played a lot last year late as a soph. Cavitt switches from wr back to his nornal hb position. Very smooth big rb. Return starting te and both wr. Line will be the biggest and deepest i have ever seen. They will be massive as will the dline. Dline ott jones and bash will not let a qb stand back and pick us apart like last year. Lbs return wolfe who may be the best ilb we have had in awhile. Db all return except wilson.

Reactions: Flint222 and JDRDRR
O-line only returns 1 starter, miller. The only LB returning is wolfe. Lots of holes.

You must not be a true follower then if you don't know who fills those holes this year.

The community is 100 percent behind their schools. That passes down to the athletics. Class five yes....but it doesn't feel like a class five living here. Still feels small.

Lots of communities are 100% behind their schools. That isn't unique. Webb was lucky enough to have a dominant coach who doesn't want to coach in college. Pretty much anyone else would have had a college job within 4 years.

Lots of communities are 100% behind their schools. That isn't unique. Webb was lucky enough to have a dominant coach who doesn't want to coach in college. Pretty much anyone else would have had a college job within 4 years.
My WC friends and coworkers get going about all the reasons they win but never mention or seem aware of how many of their teammates didn't even live in Webb City 5 or 10 years ago. It's just wild how many people I know who have moved their kids over there. People are free to do that and many choose to. I also know a kid playing now who doesn't even go to school there. Not sure how they have arranged that but I guess it can be done in the right circumstances.

Lately I've heard several new parents I know mention they are considering moving to Webb City but specifically for little league baseball. I'll be interested to see how things play out over the next few years as these kids start getting into varsity and how many of them turn out to be key athletes.

There is a kid who plays there now who is classified as homeless so he can be eligible. The kid has had a rough life through no fault of his own so hopefully this helps him out.

My WC friends and coworkers get going about all the reasons they win but never mention or seem aware of how many of their teammates didn't even live in Webb City 5 or 10 years ago. It's just wild how many people I know who have moved their kids over there. People are free to do that and many choose to. I also know a kid playing now who doesn't even go to school there. Not sure how they have arranged that but I guess it can be done in the right circumstances.

Lately I've heard several new parents I know mention they are considering moving to Webb City but specifically for little league baseball. I'll be interested to see how things play out over the next few years as these kids start getting into varsity and how many of them turn out to be key athletes.
Webb is essentially the IMG of the Ozarks/SWMO...and here we have their district rival a few miles away with a potential talent pool the size of a small class 4 or large 3 school's talent pool beating everyone other than WC.

Webb is essentially the IMG of the Ozarks/SWMO...and here we have their district rival a few miles away with a potential talent pool the size of a small class 4 or large 3 school's talent pool beating everyone other than WC.

Stopped reading at IMG. 🙄

Reactions: WebbCity11AD
Carthage ? Whom has 4k more in the town population and more kids in their school ? Is this who you are referring to ?

Someone said last year Webb has back ups for the backups. Obviously a stretch but the point is Webb has a ton of talent. Look at what their JV team does every year. Most COC schools roll out very good players but the depth at Webb is unmatched (maybe Nixa matches) and it shows every year. I just don’t see how this Webb doesn’t end up back in the semis or championship game. Maybe a slow start offensively as they do replace several starters but the defense should be really good out of the gates.

Reactions: Veer_left
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT