ADVERTISEMENT

COC Insight/Guesses

sw5890

Aug 18, 2015
About a month from the start of football...anyone have insight or guesses on any of the COC for the upcoming season? I haven't heard much from my usual sources and the previews aren't out yet, usually those give me a little better feel for what to expect.

Allegedly WC returns a lot of experience, so my guess is they are the team to beat and unlikely anyone will - like how the COC used to regularly be. Not sure who is QB or if it's decided.

Joplin loses Always Wright, and I'm not sure who else. I expect Eagles will be good but probably not in the top 2 or 3 and I'm not expecting a 4th straight win over WC. But they tend to exceed my expectations with regularity over the last few years and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they fill in the gaps and keep going.

I'm kind of looking at Nixa to be the one to challenge WC in conference. They should have that Ramone Green kid back and my Nixa friend feels great about their upcoming season. They have had some key wins lately against everyone but Carthage so maybe they will check that box this year?

Mixed thoughts on Carthage - honestly I was kind of expecting a step (or two) back but I've heard a couple people say they think the tigers will be on par with last year maybe better. They lose Kabance and more importantly I believe most of the guys in the trenches. Depth is often a concern I have with Carthage. I've been told Cooper Jadwin will QB - he doesn't have a ton of varsity experience but I've heard he brings a good passing game to the table, one of the few things lacking on last years team. Gall will return so they'll have that weapon as well, assuming the oline does it's thing.

I have a few relatives down in Neosho, they are expecting a much better season after learning and adjusting to new systems last year. But they could improve a lot and still not be competitive in the COC.

Republic was a surprise last year so I'm interested to see if that continues or if it was a flash in the pan like Willard several years ago.

Have nothing on Willard, Ozark or Branson or CJ. Maybe some of the CJ guys on here will chime in. I've got several friends over there but haven't seen them in awhile so I haven't heard anything about the bulldogs.

Overall my guess is Webb is the favorite but I wouldn't totally count out a few others to try and make a run. The last few years have been a little different in the COC with it not belonging exclusively to Webb City.

Reactions: Stimie69er
You have to think Neosho will improve, but not sure it will mean a big jump in the win column

Branson will look different. New Head Coach, DC left for Reeds Spring. They are running flexbone. That league is just a gauntlet.

Nixa has a generational athlete coming in next year in Jackson Cantwell. Don't know of the impact on the football field right away.
If any of you threw shot put then you know who his mom and dad are. The most impressive thing about him is he scored a 33 on the ACT recently as a 14 year old!
Some impressive weightlifting videos on Twitter as well.

CJ has a freshman QB that has been working with varsity but I don't know if he will actually start. Starting a freshman may be a bridge too far.

Nixa has a generational athlete coming in next year in Jackson Cantwell. Don't know of the impact on the football field right away.
If any of you threw shot put then you know who his mom and dad are. The most impressive thing about him is he scored a 33 on the ACT recently as a 14 year old!

World records in the shot put from the 8U all the way up to age 14. Bench press is now 385. He's done 355 x 3. His fav sport has been basketball.

Wow that's pretty wild. Doesn't really sound like a huge impact immediately in football but I bet he'll be a name the rest of the COC will be glad to see graduate a few years from now if he sticks with FB.

Wish the COC would go the college conference route and host a media day. Imagine that, all the head coaches, ADs (well, maybe not the ADs, leave them at home) and team captains meet in Joplin one year, Springfield the next and alternate. Have someone like Scoreboard Guy or Ned Reynolds moderate. Gotta think that would bring some folks out and fill up the bulletin boards.

Joplin has a really good freshman class. The bad news for them is if youth and junior high football are too be believe, they don't have much coming after that.

Wish the COC would go the college conference route and host a media day. Imagine that, all the head coaches, ADs (well, maybe not the ADs, leave them at home) and team captains meet in Joplin one year, Springfield the next and alternate. Have someone like Scoreboard Guy or Ned Reynolds moderate. Gotta think that would bring some folks out and fill up the bulletin boards.
That would actually be really awesome and I think a lot of people would be interested in that.

About a month from the start of football...anyone have insight or guesses on any of the COC for the upcoming season? I haven't heard much from my usual sources and the previews aren't out yet, usually those give me a little better feel for what to expect.

Allegedly WC returns a lot of experience, so my guess is they are the team to beat and unlikely anyone will - like how the COC used to regularly be. Not sure who is QB or if it's decided.

Joplin loses Always Wright, and I'm not sure who else. I expect Eagles will be good but probably not in the top 2 or 3 and I'm not expecting a 4th straight win over WC. But they tend to exceed my expectations with regularity over the last few years and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they fill in the gaps and keep going.

I'm kind of looking at Nixa to be the one to challenge WC in conference. They should have that Ramone Green kid back and my Nixa friend feels great about their upcoming season. They have had some key wins lately against everyone but Carthage so maybe they will check that box this year?

Mixed thoughts on Carthage - honestly I was kind of expecting a step (or two) back but I've heard a couple people say they think the tigers will be on par with last year maybe better. They lose Kabance and more importantly I believe most of the guys in the trenches. Depth is often a concern I have with Carthage. I've been told Cooper Jadwin will QB - he doesn't have a ton of varsity experience but I've heard he brings a good passing game to the table, one of the few things lacking on last years team. Gall will return so they'll have that weapon as well, assuming the oline does it's thing.

I have a few relatives down in Neosho, they are expecting a much better season after learning and adjusting to new systems last year. But they could improve a lot and still not be competitive in the COC.

Republic was a surprise last year so I'm interested to see if that continues or if it was a flash in the pan like Willard several years ago.

Have nothing on Willard, Ozark or Branson or CJ. Maybe some of the CJ guys on here will chime in. I've got several friends over there but haven't seen them in awhile so I haven't heard anything about the bulldogs.

Overall my guess is Webb is the favorite but I wouldn't totally count out a few others to try and make a run. The last few years have been a little different in the COC with it not belonging exclusively to Webb City.
Webb will be better than last year. They'll probably actually earn a win over Carthage in the district title game. That big D line kid is going to be a problem.
Carthage has something like 25 seniors and a good soph class but their junior class is probably the worst in 25 years. Pass D will be an issue. I've heard the Rose kid will be QB but who knows.
Joplin will probably lose at least 4 games. I've heard the QB coming in is very good. Is the younger Wright not playing?
Neosho should have more skill coming along. They had a star type kid in jr high a few years ago but I'm guessing he moved because I haven't seen the name on the roster but could've missed it.
Nixa will be tough. They have a lot of good players but they've been hyped up the last few years and frankly underachieved. I'm sure Green is going to be scary this year after seeing all the recognition Gall has gotten.

Winner of Nixa/Webb should win the coc. Nixa has a ton talent maybe the only team on par or better than Webb.
Carthage will be lurking and Joplin will be competitive.
I’ll be surprised if the younger wright kid isn’t the QB, he did just pick up a D1 basketball offer any chance he just focuses on basketball?

Neosho has a long ways to be competitive.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
The older Wright committed to NEO today. I thought he had better offers

Springfield media is gonna have a big time with this dude for the next 4 years haha

The older Wright committed to NEO today. I thought he had better offers
You know, when I saw that I was kind of surprised. Nothing against NEO but I just figured he would end up somewhere bigger. A news clip I saw suggested there were other offers but it sounded like he just really likes NEO. Or he may be wanting to stay local but didn't get an offer from MOSO or PSU. NEO is probably the next best for a person wanting to stay near Joplin.

Reactions: Arcola

Hard to predict the winner of this conference. I'd say it will be one of the top 4 from last year, Carthage, Joplin, Nixa or Webb. By the way, Webb was 4th last year. If I were a betting person I'd say Nixa. They have the best overall talent returning. Carthage has the best player coming back. Who knows where Webb and Joplin will be.

CJ has a freshman QB that has been working with varsity but I don't know if he will actually start. Starting a freshman may be a bridge too far.

Hard to predict the winner of this conference. I'd say it will be one of the top 4 from last year, Carthage, Joplin, Nixa or Webb. By the way, Webb was 4th last year. If I were a betting person I'd say Nixa. They have the best overall talent returning. Carthage has the best player coming back. Who knows where Webb and Joplin will be.
Will Nixa contend for the C6 title this year?

I’d say it’s Nixa or Webb, with Carthage just a tick behind them. Then you’ve probably got a grouping of Joplin, Branson, Republic, and Ozark next. Joplin is probably the best of that group. And then probably CJ, Willard, and Neosho fight for the best of the rest. My gut tells me CJ is probably better than the other two.

Nixa
Webb
Carthage
Joplin
Republic
Ozark
Branson
CJ
Willard
Neosho

Nixa and Webb plays week 1. I'm thinking Nixa wins that game and are glad they won't be playing Webb later in the year.

You know, when I saw that I was kind of surprised. Nothing against NEO but I just figured he would end up somewhere bigger. A news clip I saw suggested there were other offers but it sounded like he just really likes NEO. Or he may be wanting to stay local but didn't get an offer from MOSO or PSU. NEO is probably the next best for a person wanting to stay near Joplin.
Verbal commits showed he had offers from both MOSO and PSU. I'm betting he wants to go D1 and is hoping to go the Juco to D1 route like his dad did.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Verbal commits showed he had offers from both MOSO and PSU. I'm betting he wants to go D1 and is hoping to go the Juco to D1 route like his dad did.

This seems likely. A d1 school should be able to showcase his talents at some point.

Webb City QB will be Johnson, with Jackson and Stovern at RB. WR are stacked with Washington, Hayes and Cavitt and Roets at TE. Don't know anything about the OL. D-line should be solid with Ott and Bash on the ends of 6-5 sophomore at tackle. Wolfe at LB and Darnell at FS.

They'll be tough to beat.

Stamp it.

Reactions: mosofan
Nobody plays baseball and wrestling. All I know is the Royals stink and should’ve traded their Pending FA’s instead of letting them walk in 2016. Now its a dump franchise.

the #3 Player in the Country c/o 2023 Samuel Mpemba was on the Ladue State championship team that smoked Webb Shitty. From St Louis and the #4 player in c/o 2024 is also from St. Louis.

check mate keep posting those wrestling stats though.

Webb City QB will be Johnson, with Jackson and Stovern at RB. WR are stacked with Washington, Hayes and Cavitt and Roets at TE. Don't know anything about the OL. D-line should be solid with Ott and Bash on the ends of 6-5 sophomore at tackle. Wolfe at LB and Darnell at FS.

Stamp it.
I saw on nxt level media that Cavitt is playing rb this year .. anyways I think wc , nixa and Carthage will be really good . Joplin will be good too if their QB play is solid . I expect Ozark and Republic to be better . Branson Neosho Willard and Cj will struggle due to the top 4 teams being really good. That wc nixa week 1 matchup may be the coc championship game. But I wouldn't be shocked if Carthage says otherwise. The level of play in that league is brutal . I honestly feel bad for CJ because they are too small to be in the coc but too big to be in the big 8

Last edited:
Depth is always a huge issue with Carthage but they have definitely the best player in the coc on both sides of the ball with Gall and maybe the best wr . If they have a good offensive line they will be super good .

Last edited:

Stamp it.
Is Washington the one that transferred from Joplin? For some reason I thought he was like a 19yr old Sr last year.

Reactions: 86THS
Yes, that is the transfer from Joplin. He will be a senior this year. Some speculate he will be moved to RB. If he does - watch out.

Washington at rb would be amazing. Jones at 6'5 jr. Will take a lot of those dl snaps as well. Defense will surely be scary good

It always amazes (and annoys) me how in most years Webb City is tripping over all the different possibilities and combinations of ways they can utilize their roster and who all can fill what positions.

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
It always amazes (and annoys) me how in most years Webb City is tripping over all the different possibilities and combinations of ways they can utilize their roster and who all can fill what positions.
Stamp it.

Washington at rb would be amazing. Jones at 6'5 jr. Will take a lot of those dl snaps as well. Defense will surely be scary good
Will it be that much improved from last year? Didn’t think their D was anything special last season.

Their defense was pretty poor to Webb standards the first 8 or so games but they were really good down the stretch against some really good teams. I expect the defense to be better this year but they have a new d coordinator and will be running a different defensive scheme all together so there will be a bit of a learning curve but they have alot of talent

Last edited:
Winner of Nixa/Webb should win the coc. Nixa has a ton talent maybe the only team on par or better than Webb.
Carthage will be lurking and Joplin will be competitive.
I’ll be surprised if the younger wright kid isn’t the QB, he did just pick up a D1 basketball offer any chance he just focuses on basketball?

Neosho has a long ways to be competitive.
The younger Wright will be focusing on basketball, hearing he will not be playing football. I believe the QB this season is the same kid that filled in when Always got suspended a game.

Joplin has some huge kids this year and most of them are juniors. OL has 6-6 300 lb kid and a 6-5 285 lb, and the TE is 6-7 is 230 lb. one of WR is 6-5 210.. Joplin's defense may be an issue with only 2 returning starters.

Last edited:
Reactions: da bears 25
Joplin had a huge sophomore ol kid last year that will likely end up being a big time d1 recruit . Don't recall his name but he was on the cover of the pigskin preview last year as a soph

Joplin had a huge sophomore ol kid last year that will likely end up being a big time d1 recruit . Don't recall his name but he was on the cover of the pigskin preview last year as a soph
Yea, I think his name is Dontrell, he has been starting since he was a freshman, I believe there is a couple of Joplin players that has started since they was freshman. I believe that Tight End 6-7 230 pound kid has as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: hitch_and_go
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT