ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Openings

Missouri State will be bringing back Cuonzo Martin...what a LAZY hire.

If the Northwest MO coach gets the Drake (or SIU) job, just watch him kick MSU's butt the next 3-5 years.

Reactions: farmer_fran
I've heard McCollum mentioned for Drake and lightly mentioned for Oklahoma State. Personally I think Drake is a logical step. He's an Iowa native, same recruiting footprint he's had previously. He would THRIVE there. My Maryville townie sources say an announcement is coming "soon" and that likely the PG, Stirtz, would transfer wherever he goes.

Reactions: Warrensburg Tiger
I've heard McCollum mentioned for Drake and lightly mentioned for Oklahoma State. Personally I think Drake is a logical step. He's an Iowa native, same recruiting footprint he's had previously. He would THRIVE there. My Maryville townie sources say an announcement is coming "soon" and that likely the PG, Stirtz, would transfer wherever he goes.
If he picks Drake over Okie St...man, IDK. That's wild. But those Iowa folks are wired a tad different.

who else is SMSU going to get?

Get serious.
It's actually a really good mid-major gig. Great facilities. Great support. Solid recruiting base. Not sure of NIL money, but would imagine the right hire puts it on par. Lord knows there's plenty of money in the area. At least corporate money.

Any Ideas who some of the Front Runners are for the SWMO Jobs?

Ozark? (I'm assuming a long line of applicants)
Mt. Vernon? (They've ran off a couple good coaches on boys/girls side)
CJ? (A lot of young talent should make it attractive)
Ozark is wide open, but a lot of momentum building behind Deric Link for that Job
Mt. Vernon hired Ryan Worley
Haven't heard much out of the CJ camp yet...

Reactions: bigcats05
Maybe not some retread that has failed everywhere the last 10 yrs or so?

He struggled at Mizzou no doubt...but did well at Tennesee (Sweet 16 in year 3) and at Cal (An NCAA appearance and one NIT in 3 years). Tennessee fans were crazy and ran him off, and Cal is as tough as any place to have success.

If you're not getting McCollum for whatever reason then Martin is about as s good as you could have hoped for. He's going to have you competitive for sure year in and year out in the Valley.

failed?

Bet the bears would love to make the tourney as much as he has.

SMSU fans need to face reality. You're not even a midmajor destination.
Mizzou fired him.

He pulled a Haith at UT.

Four tourney appearances in fourteen years as a HC.

Retread. When he was at MO St previously he was young and hungry. I'd venture a guess even an MU honk wouldn't describe him as either now.

Ozark is wide open, but a lot of momentum building behind Deric Link for that Job
Mt. Vernon hired Ryan Worley
Haven't heard much out of the CJ camp yet...
Link has done a great job, Lafferty kid graduation would make this year an ideal time to move on from Sparta. I don't know much about Worley, he used to be at Hollister I believe, but that was a while back. I'd think there will be a lot of interest in the CJ job from up and coming coaches from the Joplin area.

Mizzou fired him.

He pulled a Haith at UT.

Four tourney appearances in fourteen years as a HC.

Retread. When he was at MO St previously he was young and hungry. I'd venture a guess even an MU honk wouldn't describe him as either now.
SMSU has been to 5 tournaments in the history of their school.

Link has done a great job, Lafferty kid graduation would make this year an ideal time to move on from Sparta. I don't know much about Worley, he used to be at Hollister I believe, but that was a while back. I'd think there will be a lot of interest in the CJ job from up and coming coaches from the Joplin area.
Link would do well at Ozark. There have been some other good applicants for that job obviously. It will be interesting to see who actually ends up with it.

I wonder if Moats even tried to get anyone else or if Martin was the easy contact and went straight there.
I wondered the same thing. Moats has been a failure. I am frustrated he's getting to hire a 3rd basketball coach just before the new president arrives. Not sure if they have named a successor for Keith Guttin, but I hope Moats is shown the door before he botches that hire too.

I wondered the same thing. Moats has been a failure. I am frustrated he's getting to hire a 3rd basketball coach just before the new president arrives. Not sure if they have named a successor for Keith Guttin, but I hope Moats is shown the door before he botches that hire too.

They haven't announced it but they're going to hire the current associate head coach Joey Hawkins. This has more or less been known since they brought Hawkins on staff a few years ago.

Reactions: farmer_fran
They may have had a yes from him before they pushed the other guy out. This is a much better hire than the girls one was.
That was a Quick Turnaround! Other guy probably didn't deserve to be outed like that...

But, Hardy did a good job at Seneca and I heard that he was from the CJ/Webb Area, so that makes sense. Now to see who Seneca finds.. Anyone have any insight on that?

Saw that Fordland hired former SMSU Bear Scott Brakebill. Had no clue he was an assistant at Norwood.

Jasper and Wheaton are both open. Wonder if Wheaton coach got one of the open jobs, and is Skip Brock finally hanging it up for good from Jasper or did he get another opportunity?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT