ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2,3,4 re-seed of playoffs after districts

oldbaldguy85

Jan 18, 2008
I like the current playoff format as I believe it does the best job of crowning a champion and gives everyone a chance. I always wish, though, that MSHSAA would re-seed each division after districts or even when there are 16 teams left. I admittedly root for the Mineral Area/MAAA/Jefferson County schools and think it is tough year-after-year for Park Hills (or Valle or Hillsboro or whoever) running up against the St. Louis privates (John Burroughs in the 2010's and now St. Mary's/Cardinal Ritter/Lutheran North/Lutheran St. Charles). And anyone that thinks Valle is the same as the STL privates is just trolling. Just to change it up a bit, it would be fun to re-seed using MaxPreps rankings. I notice that Hillsboro and Park Hills are both currently ranked #3 in their respective classes but both get to run up against the unstoppable private machines this week. Here is a look at what re-seeding might look like this year in Classes 2,3,4. Matchups would be 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5. Would be fun to see some different out of area matchups. I know people are going to cry about travel but travel is already crazy in this round as West Plains plays Hannibal (263 miles) and Portageville plays Duchesne (192 miles). I like how a few years ago they rotated the semis (where 1-2 used to play 3-4 automatically, now they don't), maybe they could rotate the quarterfinals too. This is just for fun, though, current system is as good as it will get. And nothing against St. Louis privates, they play within the rules that MSHSAA allows so good for them. No matter system, the best team will win in the end. And I know MaxPreps is not the perfect solution but better than using MSHSAA district points IMO.

Class 4
1. St. Mary's
2. Center
3. Hillsboro
4. Smithville
5. West Plains
6. Hannibal
7. Parkway Central
8. St. Dominic

Class 3
1. Cardinal Ritter
2. Park Hills Central