ADVERTISEMENT

Mexico advances... .. .

DOGFATHER1

Dec 18, 2002
The Mexico Bulldogs continued their winning ways tonight notching their 27th win over a very tough St.Francis Borgia Knights team by the score of 62 to 56. No one left early as the Bulldogs trailed until late in the game when defensice stops and made free-throws made the difference..
MEXICO - - - 08-24-38-62
S.F.Borgia - - 21-33-41-56
D.J.Long led the Dawgs in scoring with 20 followed by soph guard Kaden Benne with 17, D.J.Perkins had 9 and Charlie Fisher off the bench with 9 including 5 key ft's and a monster block...

Now it appears our Bulldogs have to make the uninviable task of playing U.of Vashon at their place... IMHO this game should be at a neutral site as country folks should not be forced into going there...oo

Enjoyed getting reaquainted with old friends Doug Light and Dave Neiar, Borgia coaches...

Woof...Woof...C =)~

Reactions: msubearssuperfan1
The area it’s in. I’m personally not afraid to go there but the point is a lot of people from Mexico would be

The area isn't that bad at all, really. It's not awesome, but it's not in some of the just absolutely desolate areas that other Public League schools are in. The gym is SUPER NICE. DF...If you're feeling frisky, there's a Pappys (maybe the original location) that can't be much more than a mile from Vashon. Stop there for the pregame meal. You won't regret it.

I looked at Google streets and checked out the area, it's pretty bad looking. But likely ok if you're just gonna go to Vashon and watch a bball game and not wander around the neighborhood or something. As I said, I wouldn't have a problem going, but it's the perception of most anyone that lives in a small town and hears about all the bad things that happen in the big city that will scare them away from coming.

I looked at Google streets and checked out the area, it's pretty bad looking. But likely ok if you're just gonna go to Vashon and watch a bball game and not wander around the neighborhood or something. As I said, I wouldn't have a problem going, but it's the perception of most anyone that lives in a small town and hears about all the bad things that happen in the big city that will scare them away from coming.

As far as the Northern parts of STL City, Vashon is the one of the nicer of the areas.
Better than Jennings, Normandy, Ferguson, etc.

That’s my experience from previously living there for almost 3 years.

I’d rather go to Vashon than UMSL

Reactions: thetophat2021
As far as the Northern parts of STL City, Vashon is the one of the nicer of the areas.
Better than Jennings, Normandy, Ferguson, etc.

That’s my experience from previously living there for almost 3 years.

I’d rather go to Vashon than UMSL
I lived there too for a while - Spanish Lake, Maryland Heights, Webster Groves/Shrewsbury - but never got around Vashon really. Judging from my FB page there will be quite a few Mexico fans there.

Hold up! Since when has Mexico Mo been considered a country school? They were not saying that when they high flying, dunking on everyone in the past! Come on people, we have to be better than this. Look around, stuff happens in the city, in the country and everywhere in between. To even bring this up in this context is stereotyping programs and schools and is not right. Good luck to both teams Saturday.

Hold up! Since when has Mexico Mo been considered a country school? They were not saying that when they high flying, dunking on everyone in the past! Come on people, we have to be better than this. Look around, stuff happens in the city, in the country and everywhere in between. To even bring this up in this context is stereotyping programs and schools and is not right. Good luck to both teams Saturday.
Vashon by 20+.

Reactions: Wheels 1
It's a good mix of everyone in that town, but by and large, it's not a city. It's a small town.

Here is a dunk highlight video of the best dunking high school team that most people never knew about, tucked away in little old Mexico, back in 94-95 when they won the Class 3 title. That team had 10 dunks alone in the semi-final game vs their rival Borgia

I promise you it's worth the 5 minute watch :p

It's a good mix of everyone in that town, but by and large, it's not a city. It's a small town.

Here is a dunk highlight video of the best dunking high school team that most people never knew about, tucked away in little old Mexico, back in 94-95 when they won the Class 3 title. That team had 10 dunks alone in the semi-final game vs their rival Borgia

I know most of those guys and seen them in person. No need to watch it. They are a class 5 and 4 on some years so that is not a small town at all. Cairo..... That is a small town...

I know most of those guys and seen them in person. No need to watch it. They are a class 5 and 4 on some years so that is not a small town at all. Cairo..... That is a small town...
Depends on your own perspective I guess. If you're from a town of say 2,000 people or less, Mexico might not seem so small. But I can tell you that in all of my years, I've never heard anyone refer to it as a "city". It's always been a "town"

Most people live in or around bigger cities these days, so Mexico to them is just a small town. Again, all about each of our own perceptions/perspectives

I lived there too for a while - Spanish Lake, Maryland Heights, Webster Groves/Shrewsbury - but never got around Vashon really. Judging from my FB page there will be quite a few Mexico fans there.
I was in Maryland Heights as well, and the good side of Florissant for the last 2 years I was there.

I was in Maryland Heights as well, and the good side of Florissant for the last 2 years I was there.
I was in the area from '91 to '98 before moving on to SWMO. Still go back there and like to see how things have changed over the years

I still get goosebumps watching that video. Man, those dudes were fun to watch.

I was in the area from '91 to '98 before moving on to SWMO. Still go back there and like to see how things have changed over the years

I was up there in 2016 and then 2019-2021

Probably a lot different that your days, even maryland heights can be a little rough after dark now. Had some stabbings and robberies in my neighborhood after dark, and it wasn’t even what I would call a bad neighborhood

Isn’t that the group that was still THAT good even after Tyron Lue transferred after his junior year?
Yes. Just imagine if Lue had been on that team, good God. They would've been illegal, and probably the fastest team in the country.

Jason Brookins (#32) was a running back in the NFL for a spell. He was 6'1 and had a 44" vertical

Cookie Belcher (#30) played at Nebraska with Lue and had a 10 yr career in Italy playing ball. I think he was the Big 8 all time steals leader

Jerrod Thompson (#10) became a D2 all american at Columbia College. He was only 5'10-5'11 but he threw some down in college, almost did in high school, in that video

Add Lue to that and OMG. One correction: He transferred after his freshman year. He was a standout at Raytown starting with his sophomore season. He played for Mark Scanlon, the old coach at Mexico

I was up there in 2016 and then 2019-2021

Probably a lot different that your days, even maryland heights can be a little rough after dark now. Had some stabbings and robberies in my neighborhood after dark, and it wasn’t even what I would call a bad neighborhood
Yes, Spanish Lake has really hit the skids over the last 30 yrs

Maryland Hts is still mostly ok but it's starting to fray at the edges

Webster/Shrewsbury will always be nice

Yes. Just imagine if Lue had been on that team, good God. They would've been illegal, and probably the fastest team in the country.

Jason Brookins (#32) was a running back in the NFL for a spell. He was 6'1 and had a 44" vertical

Cookie Belcher (#30) played at Nebraska with Lue and had a 10 yr career in Italy playing ball. I think he was the Big 8 all time steals leader

Jerrod Thompson (#10) became a D2 all american at Columbia College. He was only 5'10-5'11 but he threw some down in college, almost did in high school, in that video

Add Lue to that and OMG. One correction: He transferred after his freshman year. He was a standout at Raytown starting with his sophomore season. He played for Mark Scanlon, the old coach at Mexico
Columbia College was NAIA D-1 at that time.

I stand corrected, I thought they were D2

He had D1 offers but realistically probably would not have played much at that level. He was 5'10 145 pounds

I stand corrected, I thought they were D2

He had D1 offers but realistically probably would not have played much at that level. He was 5'10 145 pounds
Best lob thrower I've ever seen. Dude had some serious creativity. Granted, had some pretty good targets too.

Best lob thrower I've ever seen. Dude had some serious creativity. Granted, had some pretty good targets too.
Yeah he had a lot of Jason Williams in him.

I don't think it's possible to find a more fun public high school team to watch than that team. We all still talk about that team

Reactions: Missouri Kid
You just had to throw it somewhere around the top of the backboard where nobody else could get to it. LOL.. He was a mini Jayson Williams or JW was a big JT?

You just had to throw it somewhere around the top of the backboard where nobody else could get to it. LOL.. He was a mini Jayson Williams or JW was a big JT?
Literally what I just said lol. He was probably a better shooter than JW. I watched him his senior year in high school - the year after their Phi Slama Jama team - make 5 or 6 straight 3's in the first quarter against one of the St Charles teams before they figured out that they shouldnt leave him open

Yes, Spanish Lake has really hit the skids over the last 30 yrs

Maryland Hts is still mostly ok but it's starting to fray at the edges

Webster/Shrewsbury will always be nice
I wasn’t gonna say it earlier, but when you mentioned spanish lake, I immediately thought: “damn, that place has been ROUGH for a while” LOL

I wasn’t gonna say it earlier, but when you mentioned spanish lake, I immediately thought: “damn, that place has been ROUGH for a while” LOL
It was starting to get that way in the mid 90's but wasn't bad

A lot of the businesses in the area have closed up over the years and just feels more low income these days than middle class like it was back then. Rosary Catholic is no longer open either

It was at one time a very nice area

It was starting to get that way in the mid 90's but wasn't bad

A lot of the businesses in the area have closed up over the years and just feels more low income these days than middle class like it was back then. Rosary Catholic is no longer open either

It was at one time a very nice area
I think I remember watching a documentary saying that Spanish lake was one of the areas where the creeks were contaminated with the nuclear waste stored under the landfill in north county. I can’t remember for sure.

You’re talking about coldwater creek. Yes it does flow through Spanish Lake and a few other north county suburbs but I don’t think they have established a firm connection between the waste and people getting cancer or whatever.

Either that or someone is paying someone else a lot of money to keep it under the lid

You’re talking about coldwater creek. Yes it does flow through Spanish Lake and a few other north county suburbs but I don’t think they have established a firm connection between the waste and people getting cancer or whatever.

Either that or someone is paying someone else a lot of money to keep it under the lid
I know a bunch of kids were getting cancer and their were nuclear fires going on underground and republic services was lying about it and the government took it back over and made it a superfund site I believe. I’d say that’s probably not a coincidence but… who really knows.

I know a bunch of kids were getting cancer and their were nuclear fires going on underground and republic services was lying about it and the government took it back over and made it a superfund site I believe. I’d say that’s probably not a coincidence but… who really knows.
.....Country folks.....Doesn't mean small town... Mexico has a huge SOYBEAN processing plant smack dab in the middle of town, Soybeans, corn, black angus cattle and John Deere tractors is what makes Mexico country. We are country folks. StLouis has one of the highest crime rates in the entire USA. Most of us country folks have spent very little if any time in a big city like St.Louis. Traditional we have good basketball teams that are made up of home grown kids of country folks. NO our team is probably not in the same league as a public school that is allowed openly to recruit players from where ever. MSHSAA should do their job and correct this... C =|~

Reactions: Missouri Kid
I saw Vashon play at the Tournament of Champions this season and they were the only MO school who looked like they belonged. So not surprised either.
....It's long overdue for MSHSAA to step up and stop the ALL-STAR team bulding that Vashon U. coach has been getting by with for years. This V team could beat MizZou...! Could turbo-clock any team in Missouri... Stop it MSHSAAA...
And we loved the hospitality at Vashon U... "Go back to the sticks cracker.."
C =()~

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT