ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Dems aren’t waiting for the courts to decide

Duck_walk

Oct 17, 2002
Trying to force Bolton, Pompeo, Mulvaney and Rudy to testify and turn over documents would end up in the Supreme Court and likely take until next summer for a ruling.

Instead, they can vote on articles of impeachment and send it to the Senate and here is why................

I’m a former federal corruption AUSA and also a former DOJ attorney. Let me tell you why I think the House isn’t going to court over the failure of Bolton, Pompeo, etc. to appear for testimony.

If the House were to go to the District Court, any ruling would eventually be appealed to the Supreme Court. The earliest any decision would come is next spring or early summer.

If the House impeaches the president, the impeachment will be conducted no later than January, and occur under the Senate’s impeachment rules.

The rules provide that the House managers can issue subpoenas to anyone, presumably including Bolton and Mulvaney. A senator could object that the testimony is irrelevant or covered by privilege. Rule VII provides that a ruling on such questions will usually be made by the Presiding Officer – the Chief Justice, unless he refers the decision to the full Senate. The Chief Justice would likely decide, in the first instance, claims of executive privilege or attorney-client privilege. He would also likely decide questions such as the crime/fraud exception and the co-conspirator exception to the hearsay rule, as well as questions of waiver of any privilege. Finally, he would rule on subpoenas for the production of documents.

I think it is likely that testimony from Mulvaney would be compelled – at least as far as his public statements, and that Bolton and others would be ordered to testify – at least as to some matters. Additional documentary evidence would likely be compelled, as well.

While a majority of the Senate could vote to overturn the Chief Justice’s ruling, any evidentiary/privilege ruling by him would have a presumption that it was correct. As a political matter, it would be difficult for many Republican senators to vote to overturn an evidentiary ruling by the Chief that is based on the law. (That is different than a motion to dismiss because the evidence is insufficient, where it is the senators’ role to evaluate the weight of the evidence.) Only a handful of Republican senators would have to vote to uphold the Chief Justice’s ruling for a majority to sustain the ruling that testimony or documents should be compelled.

Chief Justice Roberts will make straight rulings on the evidence and the power of the Senate to compel testimony. That’s the best outcome the House can want. (If he didn’t agree with the House Managers on any point during the trial, the Chief would be unlikely to provide a fifth vote in the Court before the trial to compel the same evidence.)

Thus, by moving directly to impeachment, the House gets its best chance of winning the testimony of Bolton, Mulvaney, and others, and doing so in a timely fashion. The House likely won’t be able to depose witnesses or examine all the documents in advance, but that’s a small price to pay for obtaining the evidence at the trial.

In addition, a favorable decision can’t be hung up in the courts. The decision of the Senate on procedural rulings, whether by the Presiding Officer or if reviewed, by the full Senate, is final, and not subject to court review. See Nixon v. United States (involving the impeachment of Judge Nixon, not Richard Nixon).

My guess is Speaker Pelosi is aware of this approach, based on her comments today at her presser that the House won’t go to court now to obtain testimony of Pompeo, Maloney, and Bolton. She noted, however, that the information may be available to the Senate.

Trying to force Bolton, Pompeo, Mulvaney and Rudy to testify and turn over documents would end up in the Supreme Court and likely take until next summer for a ruling.

Instead, they can vote on articles of impeachment and send it to the Senate and here is why................

I’m a former federal corruption AUSA and also a former DOJ attorney. Let me tell you why I think the House isn’t going to court over the failure of Bolton, Pompeo, etc. to appear for testimony.

If the House were to go to the District Court, any ruling would eventually be appealed to the Supreme Court. The earliest any decision would come is next spring or early summer.

If the House impeaches the president, the impeachment will be conducted no later than January, and occur under the Senate’s impeachment rules.

The rules provide that the House managers can issue subpoenas to anyone, presumably including Bolton and Mulvaney. A senator could object that the testimony is irrelevant or covered by privilege. Rule VII provides that a ruling on such questions will usually be made by the Presiding Officer – the Chief Justice, unless he refers the decision to the full Senate. The Chief Justice would likely decide, in the first instance, claims of executive privilege or attorney-client privilege. He would also likely decide questions such as the crime/fraud exception and the co-conspirator exception to the hearsay rule, as well as questions of waiver of any privilege. Finally, he would rule on subpoenas for the production of documents.

I think it is likely that testimony from Mulvaney would be compelled – at least as far as his public statements, and that Bolton and others would be ordered to testify – at least as to some matters. Additional documentary evidence would likely be compelled, as well.

While a majority of the Senate could vote to overturn the Chief Justice’s ruling, any evidentiary/privilege ruling by him would have a presumption that it was correct. As a political matter, it would be difficult for many Republican senators to vote to overturn an evidentiary ruling by the Chief that is based on the law. (That is different than a motion to dismiss because the evidence is insufficient, where it is the senators’ role to evaluate the weight of the evidence.) Only a handful of Republican senators would have to vote to uphold the Chief Justice’s ruling for a majority to sustain the ruling that testimony or documents should be compelled.

Chief Justice Roberts will make straight rulings on the evidence and the power of the Senate to compel testimony. That’s the best outcome the House can want. (If he didn’t agree with the House Managers on any point during the trial, the Chief would be unlikely to provide a fifth vote in the Court before the trial to compel the same evidence.)

Thus, by moving directly to impeachment, the House gets its best chance of winning the testimony of Bolton, Mulvaney, and others, and doing so in a timely fashion. The House likely won’t be able to depose witnesses or examine all the documents in advance, but that’s a small price to pay for obtaining the evidence at the trial.

In addition, a favorable decision can’t be hung up in the courts. The decision of the Senate on procedural rulings, whether by the Presiding Officer or if reviewed, by the full Senate, is final, and not subject to court review. See Nixon v. United States (involving the impeachment of Judge Nixon, not Richard Nixon).

My guess is Speaker Pelosi is aware of this approach, based on her comments today at her presser that the House won’t go to court now to obtain testimony of Pompeo, Maloney, and Bolton. She noted, however, that the information may be available to the Senate.
That’s all a bunch of crap. During the Clinton Impeachment trial the Senate did not even allow any witnesses in the Proceedings. They only allowed the team from the house to present testimony they gathered

And Mitch can make up any rules he wants in the senate for the trial then the rules package is voted on by the Senate before the trial begins. Chief Justice Roberts is there to enforce the rules as voted on by the Senate,, normal procedures in a court of law do not apply

Reactions: millerbleach

That’s all a bunch of crap. During the Clinton Impeachment trial the Senate did not even allow any witnesses in the Proceedings. They only allowed the team from the house to present testimony they gathered

And Mitch can make up any rules he wants in the senate for the trial then the rules package is voted on by the Senate before the trial begins. Chief Justice Roberts is there to enforce the rules as voted on by the Senate,, normal procedures in a court of law do not apply

Heres the site he got this. Enjoy

Daily Beast Level info.

Ah no....DEMS were Caught OMITTING Pro-Trump evidence from a new impeachment transcript.
I think they should be locked up. I think they need to dissolve the democrat party.
I think they need to make tRUMP King of the tRUMP States of America. Donnie Jr. would be the Prince and heir to the throne. Eric being an idiot would be skipped because he's too is an idiot and you can't have 3 idiots in a row. This would make Barron next in line. Ivanka would immediately become Queen because we know the king has always wanted her.

I think they should be locked up. I think they need to dissolve the democrat party.
I think they need to make tRUMP King of the tRUMP States of America. Donnie Jr. would be the Prince and heir to the throne. Eric being an idiot would be skipped because he's too is an idiot and you can't have 3 idiots in a row. This would make Barron next in line. Ivanka would immediately become Queen because we know the king has always wanted her.
Who said this? "It's too dangerous to let voters decide Trump's fate."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT