ADVERTISEMENT

Why is CMU so bad?

GeoJfreak6

Sep 14, 2004
It seems to me that in almost all sports Central Methodist University is pretty bad. For the past couple of years that i have seen their best teams have been okay to somewhat good. Anyone know why?

Not knowing much about CMU. I did go to their web site on sports and specifically looked at the Women's Basketball Team. Most of the players recruited come from small schools and districts versus the metro areas.
The one recruit they got from Lafayette last year had a good season as a freshman and she will only get better. Basically from what I can see is they are not getting the players from the Metro area's. Makes a huge difference. Do not get me wrong, I have seen some outstanding players from the smaller schools. But, they usually go D-1 or D-2. That is my take and I maybe totally off base.
The other thing I did notice is they do not seem to have any JUCO transfers, who already have college experience. That can usually jump start a program. Look at Culver Stockton's recruits this year and you will see what I am talking about.

Re: Why is CMU so bad?--I would disagree

three years ago, the softball team won the conference tournament and qualified for the regional tournament; this year the team won second in the conference tournament and qualified for the regional tournament; during the regular season this year they beat nationally ranked Evangel, one of a very few teams to do so...I think the softball team is doing well and will be even better in the coming two years. In track, they have had a nationally-ranked runner for the last two years or so.
This post was edited on 8/1 10:52 PM by fishmomif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Fishmom

I believe you are correct. Touche'. Softball is definately a sport that gets overlooked and I totally forgot about it. The nationally ranked runner is also true, but of course he is such as a race-walker. I don't know how familiar you might be with the event, but Pat doesn't exactly have a ton of competition until he gets to nats. Don't get me wrong because Pat is a stud race walker, but its just not exactly a premier event. However, considering those are only two sports and one is only one person that still presents an overall synopsis that is not very good. Personally I think that it might have something to do with coaching salary, I don't know how much time and effort CMU puts into looking for coaches or paying them, but I suspect they would be on the lower end of the spectrum. Just some thoughts. Thanks for the feedback.

I know this is several years ago, but from 1997-2000 the women's basketball team had 4 national tournament berths, regular season conf. championship, conf. tourney championship, 2 sweet sixteen appearnces, an elite 8 appearance, and a final four appearance at the national tournament. The team won something like 114 games in that 4 year span. Guess what they did it mainly with small town players and a sprinkle of JUCOS. My personal belief why CMU is struggling a little bit is because of the lack of athletic scholarships and lack of facilities. Now CMU has poured in millions of dollars through private donations to revamp the athletic facilites. Athletes like NEW things..it will be a matter of time and CMU will do just fine.

What about size

What about the size difference? CMU's undergrad is tiny compared to a lot of the schools that they play could that have anything to do with it?

Re: What about size

No. Size has nothing to do with it. You recruit the kids that fit the program.

Things are starting to get turned around. The softball team won the the conference in the regular season and they also won the post season tournament, qualified for the regional tournament and got to the finals before losing to Columbia College. The basketball team was ranked Top 25 in NAIA for most of the year and fell in the finals to Mid Am the nations top ranked team. Football had two all americans last year. While the football, baseball, and soccer teams have struggled in the past few season CMU hopes to turn it around with new coaches in everyone of them sports. Football has alot of returners and baseball has alot of new comers who showed promise last year. Soccer is lead by local Hickman goalkeeper Brent Tegerdine who was 3rd Team All-Conference as a freshman.

GO PIONEERS!

CMU football seems to always struggle.

Coach Sherman does wonders with the hoops program, though. He's a legend. He's up there with Rocky Lamar at my alma mater MNU and Evangel's Steve Jenkins as the class of the coaching ranks in the Heart, and the NAIA overall.

Women's hoops is surging lately too.

Fayette, Missouri isn't exactly a tourist destination, and their cost of attendance isn't exactly budget friendly...lots of high school athletes are now deciding between playing ball longer and being in financial struggle for decades to come or go to a state school.

Reactions: STL_Dan
Fayette, Missouri isn't exactly a tourist destination, and their cost of attendance isn't exactly budget friendly...lots of high school athletes are now deciding between playing ball longer and being in financial struggle for decades to come or go to a state school.

Exactly, two of my children were offered scholarships to play sports at Central Methodist but declined. After the $11,000 per year they offered, they were still higher tuition than lots of others. Not really much of an incentive.

It seems to me that in almost all sports Central Methodist University is pretty bad. For the past couple of years that i have seen their best teams have been okay to somewhat good. Anyone know why?

I just found this post from 2007. Interesting that now in 2019 cmu is dominating everything and even their woeful football team is winning a few games now.....

Mens and womens soccer are awesome
Volleyball great
Baseball and softball have been awesome
Etc..

I just found this post from 2007. Interesting that now in 2019 cmu is dominating everything and even their woeful football team is winning a few games now.....

Mens and womens soccer are awesome
Volleyball great
Baseball and softball have been awesome
Etc..

Meh....football still sucks, though.

2-3 in the Heart of America South Div
5-5-1 overall

I suppose 5-5-1 is somewhat of an improvement for CMU football, though.

http://www.heartofamericaconference.com/sport/0/12.php

They offer a TON of kids every year. A lot of times its a few $$$ compared to the cost of tuition. They do not always get the best talent. But, its a chance to continuing playing. For some, its well worth it. Not all sports are like that, there are exceptions, they have had some good teams in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT