ADVERTISEMENT

What was Webb Celebration penalty for??

What I saw looked like he and a teammate faked taking a selfie with the ball. I don’t know if that was the penalty or if I even seen it right.
If it was it, we need to lighten up on some of these old man rules about “sportsmanship”. It was two seconds, didn’t delay the game. Was not taunting. Absolutely harmless.

What I saw looked like he and a teammate faked taking a selfie with the ball. I don’t know if that was the penalty or if I even seen it right.
If it was it, we need to lighten up on some of these old man rules about “sportsmanship”. It was two seconds, didn’t delay the game. Was not taunting. Absolutely harmless.
That's what the penalty was for and it's ridiculous

Reactions: cardsbeatwriter
I get it. No harm no foul. It’s your team. But I’ll take the other side. If you don’t call this, then where is the line? Do you really want refs making even more judgement calls? Which granted, may be exactly what happened because he hates WC. I’d want to know it is going to be the called the same both ways. Just use it as a coaching opportunity. Emulate the greatest RB to put on a jock strap, score the TD, hand the ball to the ref and act like you expect to be back.

Joplin had an unsportsmanlike penalty before the 2024 season even kicked off. Didn’t see Eagle fans on here complaining.
Joplin just needs to clean that up, they have the potential to having a really good season.

I get it. No harm no foul. It’s your team. But I’ll take the other side. If you don’t call this, then where is the line? Do you really want refs making even more judgement calls? Which granted, may be exactly what happened because he hates WC. I’d want to know it is going to be the called the same both ways. Just use it as a coaching opportunity. Emulate the greatest RB to put on a jock strap, score the TD, hand the ball to the ref and act like you expect to be back.
I really don’t care what team it is. It’s a game. Games are supposed to be fun. If it’s not taunting, if it’s not delaying the game or the mechanics of setting the ball, it’s harmless.
If we’re going emulate the old days, here is one. Don’t want to see a team celebrate? Stop them.

I really don’t care what team it is. It’s a game. Games are supposed to be fun. If it’s not taunting, if it’s not delaying the game or the mechanics of setting the ball, it’s harmless.
If we’re going emulate the old days, here is one. Don’t want to see a team celebrate? Stop them.
The fun in a game is beating the other team. But in all honesty, in the grand scheme, this one seems minor. I don’t mind it though. When I look at what has become accepted in the MLB, I’m okay with this. What is commonplace now would’ve incited a brawl five years ago.

It’s weird with my view on this stuff. I’ve often said I miss the personalities in sports, especially coaches. I miss Bum Phillips and Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. But there’s also a side of me that gets irritated when I see a celebration for EVERY SINGLE positive play during a contest too. Make a 3, shoot your stupid arrow. Score a TD, flip into the end zone and do some pre-planned expertly choreographed dance move. Hit a HR, stand in the batters box and stare it down, turn to your dugout, flip the bat four rows deep and take 5 mins to circle the bases. There’s gotta be a middle ground in there.

Reactions: mosofan and I2R I
Probably because they’re busy planning their next unsportsmanlike act.

I saw a gaggle of them huddled up in the mall parking lot. Lots of vaping and Bang being thrown down like no tomorrow. Not sure their plan but it appeared intense.

We, the fans, and the old ones like me especially are the only ones who cares. The kids don’t even notice unless it’s taunting in their face. I would ask my son about what an opponent did in celebration and he had no idea what I was even talking about most of the time. They were busy trying to figure out what went wrong to give up the score.

Last edited:
LSU player acting like he was executing a Trojan in the end zone???

We've headed down a slippery slope..

Reactions: MIZZOU71
The fun in a game is beating the other team. But in all honesty, in the grand scheme, this one seems minor. I don’t mind it though. When I look at what has become accepted in the MLB, I’m okay with this. What is commonplace now would’ve incited a brawl five years ago.

It’s weird with my view on this stuff. I’ve often said I miss the personalities in sports, especially coaches. I miss Bum Phillips and Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. But there’s also a side of me that gets irritated when I see a celebration for EVERY SINGLE positive play during a contest too. Make a 3, shoot your stupid arrow. Score a TD, flip into the end zone and do some pre-planned expertly choreographed dance move. Hit a HR, stand in the batters box and stare it down, turn to your dugout, flip the bat four rows deep and take 5 mins to circle the bases. There’s gotta be a middle ground in there.
I agree with this. And I actually agree kids should have fun playing a game. If you want to be a jack wagon on the pga or a singles tennis match or other individual sport, that’s the time to do so. I partly love football because it is a great team sport. I don’t like the “look at me” stuff when you score a TD. How about a high five and pointing to the other 10 guys that got you there. That would be way classier. Mike Eruzioni will forever been remembered as the team captain and the guy that danced and showboated on the medal stand….No. As the guy that made sure the entire team joined him on the medal stand. Roderique embodied the Quote “ great things can accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit”. That has been replaced by “You guys block and I’ll bask in the spotlight in a look at me moment”.

I agree with this. And I actually agree kids should have fun playing a game. If you want to be a jack wagon on the pga or a singles tennis match or other individual sport, that’s the time to do so. I partly love football because it is a great team sport. I don’t like the “look at me” stuff when you score a TD. How about a high five and pointing to the other 10 guys that got you there. That would be way classier. Mike Eruzioni will forever been remembered as the team captain and the guy that danced and showboated on the medal stand….No. As the guy that made sure the entire team joined him on the medal stand. Roderique embodied the Quote “ great things can accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit”. That has been replaced by “You guys block and I’ll bask in the spotlight in a look at me moment”.
I agree with this. I was always proud when players got into the end zone, did a chest jump, handed the ball to the ref and ran back to the sidelines. Now, you see kids mimicking what they see int he NFL, which is sad. Of course the worst I've seen recently is Cardinal Ritter's post-game celebration antics against Republic in the state final. Horrible

I am old LOL, celebrations to me look to be over the top today especially in College football which young kids will want to mimic. I don't know how many sun glass picks and other crap I had to sit thru Saturday. I want to watch a game, maybe some fist bumps and high fives, but this choreographed sideline celebrations are just getting over the top.

I am old LOL, celebrations to me look to be over the top today especially in College football which young kids will want to mimic. I don't know how many sun glass picks and other crap I had to sit thru Saturday. I want to watch a game, maybe some fist bumps and high fives, but this choreographed sideline celebrations are just getting over the top.
Thank the Miami Hurricanes !!

That's what's great about baseball - pull any of that crap in baseball and you'll have one coming at your head next at bat .

Thank the Miami Hurricanes !!

That's what's great about baseball - pull any of that crap in baseball and you'll have one coming at your head next at bat .
Home Run Baseball GIF by MLB

HA Yeah if I remember right I watched that game and it was in the playoffs. That moment was bigger than the run of the mill home run. It doesn't happen often in MLB, and even this Blue Jays' bat toss was mild compared to football and basketball celebrations.

A lot of getting off my lawn on this thread for the extreme geriatric set. I don’t think the kids are reading your opinions on the mosports dinosaur msgboard. And I don’t think they give an ish. You are howling at the moon grandpas.

I guess I'm old too because I think the celebrations are immature. Get excited when you do something great, hi5 your team mate, bump or whatever but yeah the choreographed and vanity stuff is just annoying.

I think these days the coaches are just glad if the kids are able to follow even the most basic of rules so they just look the other way on this behavioral but otherwise minor stuff.

I guess I'm old too because I think the celebrations are immature. Get excited when you do something great, hi5 your team mate, bump or whatever but yeah the choreographed and vanity stuff is just annoying.

I think these days the coaches are just glad if the kids are able to follow even the most basic of rules so they just look the other way on this behavioral but otherwise minor stuff.
Or the coaches let the kids have fun in a way they enjoy as long as it’s not derogatory to their opponent, even if us old guys don’t like or understand it.

Football is suppose build character, not characters.
Speaking of football building character, I watched a great documentary about Bill Snyder and how he turned KState around (twice actually). I believe it was called the Miracle in Manhattan. I’m not a Wildcat fan but I expect a few of you, like me, will appreciate it as a good watch anyway. Others…….not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT