ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 - Nixa (7-0) at Republic (6-1), biggest COC matchup with two eastern teams since????

cocfan0439

Oct 4, 2023
Can anyone recall a bigger COC matchup between two Springfield area schools, at least in recent memory?

Obviously all signs point to Nixa in this one but Republic just keeps winning and doesn’t care what anyone else thinks of them. Curious to hear everyone’s thoughts and interested to hear older games you all might be able to recall.

Definitely an anticipated game and I bet it will be a good atmosphere. I think Nixa will get their outright COC but Republic is capable and will put up a fight no doubt. You're right I can't recall eastern teams ever playing to decide the champ(s) of the coc.

Reactions: cocfan0439
Maybe not in the current newer COC, but in the old COC it was pretty much a lock every year that either Ozark or Nixa was going to win it.
I guess it depends on how far you go back in the "old COC" Branson and especially Republic sure had there runs....

I remember back in the early 2000s when WP was in the same district as Branson, Ozark and Nixa.
In 2002, WP after their first year in the Ozark Conference headed into districts with a 3-4 record.
Week 8 vs Branson(6-1) = WP wins 46-7 @ Branson
Week 9 vs Ozark(8-0) = WP wins 24-22 @ home
Week 10 vs Nixa(7-2)= Nixa wins 28-21 @ WP to claim the district championship.
I believe those 3 were at the top of the COC that year.

In 2003, same story.
WP goes 3-4 and then beats Branson and Ozark in weeks 8 and 9 and then loses to Nixa by 2 TDs at Nixa in the district championship.
Only difference that year was (I believe) Nixa was undefeated and branson and ozark weren’t as good as the year before.

That was around the time that Nixa had a few boys come through with the last name Overstreet

My senior year at Webb (03) we played Nixa in the quarterfinals at nixa . They had one or two overstreets. I think one went on to play for maybe Mizzou ? I think one of them ended up coaching there at one point . Anyways they had a grass field and we played them in an absolute swamp! Literally the water was over the top of my low cut cleats lining up . Monsoon conditions . I remember we won a close game can't recall the score . Thought it was odd they had a water tower in the corner of the end zone lol . Following week turbo clock term inverters (Kearney) turbos us at home for webbs worse loss maybe ever ?

My senior year at Webb (03) we played Nixa in the quarterfinals at nixa . They had one or two overstreets. I think one went on to play for maybe Mizzou ? I think one of them ended up coaching there at one point . Anyways they had a grass field and we played them in an absolute swamp! Literally the water was over the top of my low cut cleats lining up . Monsoon conditions . I remember we won a close game can't recall the score . Thought it was odd they had a water tower in the corner of the end zone lol . Following week turbo clock term inverters (Kearney) turbos us at home for webbs worse loss maybe ever ?
I wanna say Webb beat Nixa like… 35-28 or maybe 28-21, but it may have been a 2TD win. I’m not 100% sure.
I know one of those guys was the QB for Nixa. Christian Overstreet maybe?
I think that may have been a sectional game against Nixa for y’all. Or maybe it was quarters.

Yeah one of them was a QB and one played free safety if I remember correctly. The fs was a stud and I think went to Missouri
There were three Overstreet's that rolled through Nixa around that time. Tyler and Christian are likely the ones you guys are thinking of. I believe that both Tyler and Christian played quarterback consecutively. Tyler is older and he may have played some college football. He later went on to coach at Rogersville as an assistant, Glendale as the head guy before Mauk, and then got into admin roles. He has spent time at Glendale as an assistant principal, Republic as a head principal, and is currently at Republic as an assistant superintendent. Christian went on to play baseball at Missouri State and then eventually became the head baseball coach, assistant principal, and AD at Fair Grove. He started as the head principal last year.

I think Joel is the oldest Overstreet brother and is doing some sort of medical sales in the Kansas City area. Their father, Mark, was a long time coach at varying schools, an assistant principal eventually the head principal of Nixa from 1996-2012. From what I've been told it was a pretty athletic family and Mark and Christian were both inducted into the Nixa Athletic Hall of Fame recently.

Reactions: hitch_and_go
WC and Republic, both 8 & 0 playing at Republic. I can't remember the year but it was during the Winstrom years. Most lopsided game I ever saw between undefeted teams that late in the season. Republic completely changed their offence to start the 2nd half, They gave up running and even changed to a different QB who was more pass orientated. It didn't help!!! Something like 30 - 0 at half

WC and Republic, both 8 & 0 playing at Republic. I can't remember the year but it was during the Winstrom years. Most lopsided game I ever saw between undefeted teams that late in the season. Republic completely changed their offence to start the 2nd half, They gave up running and even changed to a different QB who was more pass orientated. It didn't help!!! Something like 30 - 0 at half
Seems expected for a game between the two. Although lopsided, the Webb City-Republic history is interesting to look at. They played each other for the first time in history in the 1988 playoffs where Webb beat Republic 12-8. It was the closest Republic had ever gotten to beating them until they finally did it this last year to end the district championship streak.

Also, there were several teams Republic had never beaten in the COC (Carl Junction, Webb City, Carthage, Joplin). Their new coach, Ryan Cornelson, has beaten every COC team in the last 2 1/2 seasons. Definitely a huge turnaround for a football program that had been in the dungeon of the league for years.

Reactions: Craig Hull

There is no such thing as the "Winstrom years." The dude had his name on the back of his jersey in college and the NFL and it was quite clearly "Wistrom." That's almost as bad as Joplinites, et al, calling Schifferdecker "Schiffendecker."

Not the Chance Wistrom years. Don't think Repmo was 8-0. Story may be right but repmo wasn't undefeated.

Intrusive letters...good lord. I'd love to be annoyed by a letter or two. Life would be simpler.

Simpler? No, no, no. I wish I could pay attention to important things instead. Also, let's not pretend that everyone doesn't have their pointless little annoyances. We are, after all, on a high school football forum.

Well, I don't remember dates but I know both webb and Republic were 8 and 0. That's what made it memorable to me.

I think you are talking about the 89 playoff game, both teams were undefeated going into the playoffs. Kevin Crane was back for Webb in that game and he had like 160 yards for Webb. Republic had like -30 yards running so in the second half they made a switch to the sophomore QB Jason Davis who would complete 8 of 15 passes for like 100 yards to sort of keep the game from being a complete blow out, I think the final was 21-3. I was there it was a really good game. But I remember Republic came out the second half with a complete different offense throwing the ball all over the place.

I think you are talking about the 89 playoff game, both teams were undefeated going into the playoffs. Kevin Crane was back for Webb in that game and he had like 160 yards for Webb. Republic had like -30 yards running so in the second half they made a switch to the sophomore QB Jason Davis who would complete 8 of 15 passes for like 100 yards to sort of keep the game from being a complete blow out, I think the final was 21-3. I was there it was a really good game. But I remember Republic came out the second half with a complete different offense throwing the ball all over the place.
If I remember correctly Smith-Crane-Berry linebacker trio put the first two QB's into ambulances???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT