ADVERTISEMENT

There needs to a rule against all these “growling” PA announcers.

How about the Harrisonville guy that sounds like he smokes 14 cartons per game?
It has been a while and maybe a different guy but I liked the uniqueness of the Harrisonville announcer. Like a cross between an auctioneer and horse race broadcaster.

And here we go..,

Don’t know if he’s still there, I think he was like 97 years old but Carl junction had a guy that was a growler.

Would like to know if the Harrisonville PA guy is the same guy who was there in 2002 … I was covering a Seneca at Harrisonville playoff game (first round) and this guy was literally doing play by play on the PA like a radio guy should. Before the game started he told me how good he was at doing PA that Central Missouri was getting ready to hire him to do the Mules football games.

Highlight of that night was during his pregame storytelling, he asked me if the Seneca running back was any good because he had been told that he was good but was slow.

Harrisonville kicks off, Seneca starts its first drive on around its own 35 … first play a simple lead iso left, Scott Elbert takes the handoff starts left and then a cutback seam opens to the right, Elbert hits the seam and goes untouched 60+ yards for the touchdown. The PA guy turns quickly looks at me and says “I think I was told wrong …”

Would like to know if the Harrisonville PA guy is the same guy who was there in 2002 … I was covering a Seneca at Harrisonville playoff game (first round) and this guy was literally doing play by play on the PA like a radio guy should. Before the game started he told me how good he was at doing PA that Central Missouri was getting ready to hire him to do the Mules football games.

Highlight of that night was during his pregame storytelling, he asked me if the Seneca running back was any good because he had been told that he was good but was slow.

Harrisonville kicks off, Seneca starts its first drive on around its own 35 … first play a simple lead iso left, Scott Elbert takes the handoff starts left and then a cutback seam opens to the right, Elbert hits the seam and goes untouched 60+ yards for the touchdown. The PA guy turns quickly looks at me and says “I think I was told wrong …”
“Here’s the deal…”.
Wildcats break the huddle and come to the line for a 3rd down play with 1 yard to go from their own 48 yard line. Double tight formation. Jackson is tucked up behind center with Shepard and Smith set as split backs behind him…
….and here we Go!

Last edited:
And wasn't the player hurt on that play? Woof! I kid, kid @Eagles_Ball
giphy.gif

Just give me one that will give me the ball carrier and who got the tackle instead of thinking they are there to do play by play commentary.

Reactions: Craig Hull
Just give me one that will give me the ball carrier and who got the tackle instead of thinking they are there to do play by play commentary.
The golden rule to PA … less is more.

Keep it short, simple. No one comes to the game to listen to the PA, they are there to watch their kids play.
Run by XXXX, he was tackled by XXX... (Down) and (Distance) from the (XX) yardline... microphone off.
Oh come on you bozos and nincompoops! You sound like fans who are just there to watch the band! YES, the PA announcer's job is let you know who made the tackle, who got tackled, and the down/distance to go. But the other part of the PA announcer's job is to ENTERTAIN!!! Fans want an EXPERIENCE! You need some funny one liners, catch phrases, you know? Stuff that gets people laughing and having a good time!

• Haha
Reactions: shoot90draw
Oh come on you bozos and nincompoops! You sound like fans who are just there to watch the band! YES, the PA announcer's job is let you know who made the tackle, who got tackled, and the down/distance to go. But the other part of the PA announcer's job is to ENTERTAIN!!! Fans want an EXPERIENCE! You need some funny one liners, catch phrases, you know? Stuff that gets people laughing and having a good time!
Have you seen halftime shows these days, Bosko? The era of bands just playing songs finishing with the school fight one are OVER so yeah I bet some folks do go just to watch the band...................

Bands should be banned from performing at football halftimes. They should be forced to play at volleyball games that way both things that no one cares about can be put together.
Can't believe that Bosko didn't make a comment that they should play at 8-man football games to enhance the napping experience.

Bands should be banned from performing at football halftimes. They should be forced to play at volleyball games that way both things that no one cares about can be put together.
I can remember being at Concordia games in the early 80s and the halftime band, plus the parties in the north end zone on the street on a flatbed, having the reason to go to the games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT