ADVERTISEMENT

Summer ball

Razzy417

Jan 24, 2007
Who has looked good so far this summer? I watched some games last night at Willard and can tell you that Miller will still be a factor in class two. I counted 11 players there which is more than they had last yr and they lost at least 3-4 seniors including their best players. So most of their players are freshmen and they are pretty good.

Also saw Fair Grove vs Marshfield, two solid teams last yr with almost everyone returning. Fair Grove’s press got to Marshfield and they won by around 15. Watch out for FG this season….

Wouod be interested to hear how other teams are doing and where there might br some games this week and next.

I saw Miller last night and thought the freshman looked good. They beat a good Walnut Grove team and then throttled Hollister. They are going to be a factor in class 2 this year.

With Blue Eye graduating everyone and not returning a lot, I'd say that Greenfield may be the team to get past in Class 2 in SWMO this coming season. They return most everyone, including a girl that was hurt for much if not all of last season. Miller will still be in the mix though, no question.

Dora will not be a factor in any class.
Mansfield and Newburg in class 2.
Fair grove in class 3 or 4.

I was looking and class 2 in this area is really wide open. Don't really know who a favorite would be.
Greenfield
Seymour
Jasper
College Heights
They all return a lot of starters.

Mansfield will be one of the best Class 3 teams, they return most everyone from a good team last season

Ditto Licking. They lose a few but have plenty coming back.

Skyline loses a lot but they are perennially a good Class 3 team and will retool.

Sparta loses their best player but will still be pretty good in Class 3, they have enough coming back.

Strafford likely moves up to 4 and they return enough plus they have some younger players who can step in. They will be good but probably inconsistent and not dominant.

Fair Grove and Ava could be the two best Class 4 teams in SWMO, but again, don't count out Strafford if they move up to 4. They have the younger players to step in and it just depends on how good they end up being in their first taste of extensive varsity action.

Walnut Grove still the best Class 1 team in SWMO despite being very young

Carl Junction and Marshfield will be two of the best Class 5 teams in the area. Parkview returns everyone and they will be improved but a tier below those other two teams in 5. Their PG Masten is good and fun to watch and she's only gonna be a junior.

West Plains and Rolla may be down some but they will still be good in Class 5. Out of the two teams I'm guessing Rolla is a little better, they just have more coming back I think. Plus one of the best in the area is no longer coaching WP.

Out of the Class 6 teams, Republic returns the most - All 5 starters in fact. One more season of Bekemeier who will be arguably - and maybe not arguably - the best player in the area. Nixa will be young but still good, just not as good. Kickapoo won't be as good either but they have young talent. They just need to figure out who will score with Fontleroy gone. I think Nixa may be better than Poo this season, at least on paper. But I think Republic is the favorite in SWMO in Class 6.

Ozark will be down, they lost too much to graduation.

Watch out for Branson, they have a lot of young talent coming up and could be a factor this season.

Lebanon loses a lot but still have McCowan, how they do depends on how well the younger players step up.

Last edited:
Nixa will still be talented, not as much as last year, I think the big question for them is team chemistry. I think the 3 seniors kept things in line. Now that they are gone will me first ball take over. Younger Conway’s knee injury may take awhile to be 100%.

Nixa will still be talented, not as much as last year, I think the big question for them is team chemistry. I think the 3 seniors kept things in line. Now that they are gone will me first ball take over. Younger Conway’s knee injury may take awhile to be 100%.
She tore her ACL in I think late February so with a 6 month recovery she should be ready for the season.

That Nixa team last season had 3 D2 signees and the two other younger starters have received D2 offers. Consider that in all of SWMO, maybe 10-15 girls sign with D2 teams each year, with another 2-4 going D1. So to have 5 D2's on one team is something...

Let's see how they do this time around as they work in some younger players to go with 3-4 others with considerable varsity experience. The Nixa freshman class last season was pretty loaded so they'll work some of them in I'm sure.

Nixa has more talent and less to show for it than anyone. That is partly because they are in the same district as Kickapoo but still...

AC 100 your right. Nixa has not won a playoff game since Middleton left in 2013.

They lost the girl who scored at least half their points. Who do they have coming back that can replace 25 ppg?
Yeah, Dora is going to take a major step backwards. Their stud this year did so much and they have no one coming to even come close to taking her spot.

A team to keep an eye on is Thayer. They return a solid group who got better last year and have a nice group of incoming freshman.

Summer very hard to judge but I think what we can all agree on is the usual programs look to be usually themselves.

Rolla, Southern Boone, St. James, Strafford, Licking, Fatima....all look strong

Summer very hard to judge but I think what we can all agree on is the usual programs look to be usually themselves.

Rolla, Southern Boone, St. James, Strafford, Licking, Fatima....all look strong
In central MO, I think a few sleepers are Eldon and JC. May be Jeff Citys last chance for a long while to put a really competitive team on the floor

Ought to have drove to town for the tournament, June 18. I wonder what the bracket (varsity 1) looked like. Fair Grove will be good for certain. Summer games/tournament rosters are often works in progress as rosters are flexible with vacation plans or students playing travel/club competition as well as school team(s). Hope to see the Lady Tigers, July 15 or 16 (or no); also Crawford County Fair week.

Looks up schedule, which tournament are the Lady Tigers out of Sullivan or Osage? Neither shown as being on the schedule.

Like the California tournament re-addition (17-18).

Wonder if Rolla is the opponent in their shootout?

Appears still room to add a game or two.

Battle as Senior Night ;)

Last edited:
Miller looked good again tonight. Two more wins over Glendale and Rogersville. Will be fun to watch them this year as expectations will be low.

Aurora looked surprisingly good too. They weren't very good last season but destroyed both Hollister and Hillcrest last night at Willard. I know those two teams are down but the perception coming in was that they weren't any better than those two teams. They have a new coach and in the brief time I watched they had good movement and passing with very little dribbling, and very good defense.

Aurora has actually went 27-26 the last 2 years. This might be the year they make some noise though. Marshfield obviously favorite in Big 8 East but after that its wide open.

Is anyone familiar enough with the Missouri-Rolla team camp to know what kind of competition Keokuk, IA would have played there this week? I'm an Iowan and was surprised to see social media reports that Keokuk went 8-0 at this camp...

Aurora looked surprisingly good too. They weren't very good last season but destroyed both Hollister and Hillcrest last night at Willard. I know those two teams are down but the perception coming in was that they weren't any better than those two teams. They have a new coach and in the brief time I watched they had good movement and passing with very little dribbling, and very good defense.
Who is the new coach at Aurora?

If it's the same guy he had a good run at Exeter 10 or so years ago, then went into admin at Joel E. Barber a few years back, not sure if he moved on from there after that.
It’s the same. He was at East Newton last year. One hell of a coach, if I remember right.

Tipton, California, and Eugene looked pretty salty this summer from Mid-MO. Eugene has a new coach, I think.

Looking at the numbers I think Fair Grove moves back to class 3 this year and Strafford will stay class 3 for 1 more year. This sets up a really good rivalry the next few years. They will probably be in same district as well.

From what I have heard Ftballfan16 is right. Strafford haters have at least another 4 years of them being really good. Don’t know about state championship good, but at least really good

Yeah Strafford will be better than people think. They lost 3 key players but so many other top teams lost a lot too and Strafford has more depth of talent waiting in the wings than most of the other teams do.

That said, Fair Grove will be very good this season with everyone coming back, and the Strafford-Fair Grove games should be as close as they’ve been in a long time. The key is Straffords point guard play and beating the Fair Grove pressure

Isn't Straffords coachs daughter an incoming freshman? I have heard she is going to be a stud.

I highly doubt Fair Grove beat them by that much this year.

Yes, Larsen's oldest daughter will be a freshman this coming season and she's very good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT