ADVERTISEMENT

Semo tourney 9/13 9/14

vb2bb

Nov 6, 2005
Is there a website with the schedule for the vb tourney in cape tomorrow?

Thanks. Been awful quiet on this board. Any teams in the semo region looking particularly strong this year? Some of the more common strong teams look down this season Sv. Perryville both young. Dexter and cape Nd? Advance looks good again. Up mineral area and Jeffco way it looks like festus and Arcadia valley may do well this year. Valle seems in the mix. Ste gen dealing with injuries and a young squad. Park hills beat valle early so they may be in mix. Looks like a ton of splits yesterday in cape for some of the teams I follow

Top teams in Southeast Missouri this year, in my opinion:
Class 1: Advance, Lesterville, Leopold, Campbell, Gideon (I watched Campbell play at the Dig for Life Challenge. They have a junior middle hitter [the coach's daughter, go figure] who is pretty legit. Gideon won the Black Division and knocked off a pretty solid Class 2 Jefferson squad. Impressive.) Defending Class 1 state champion Advance returns their entire squad from last year minus setter Addie Curtis (but they have a sophomore [assistant coach's daughter] who's filling those shoes quite well this year) including standout senior middle hitter Roz Schrader and two big junior bangers in Nyah Wilson (MH) and Alyssa Miles (OH). I don't see any Class 1 teams in the state being able to stop them this year. Leopold pretty much only has two really solid players in senior Kyla Beel and sophomore Paige Davis (also coach's daughter, ahh) but they picked up a big win in three sets over Class 3 powerhouse Dexter on Tuesday that raised a lot of eyebrows in the area. Unfortunately for them, they're in District 3 with Advance and the Hornets skunked them 25-20, 25-8 earlier this season. Haven't seen Lesterville yet this year but Coach Betsy Middleton always produces a great squad. They're in the Perryville Tournament on Saturday, which I'll be attending following Advance. The Bearcats are in a stacked pool with Leopold and Valle Catholic. They'll be playing in the court right across from where I'll be watching Advance. (I'll have complete pool-play scores and bracket scores from the entire tournament later Saturday night.)

Class 2: Arcadia Valley, Jefferson (Festus), Valle Catholic, Woodland. Have only watched Woodland play this year but they are very scrappy and an all-around good squad. They have a big middle in senior Maddison Altenthal and an all-around good player in junior Addie Johnson [assistant coach's daughter. Are y'all starting to notice a pattern here?] They split with Advance in the preseason jamboree, for what it's worth. Valle Catholic seems to be peaking right now as they swept Class 4 Jackson last night (25-20, 27-25). One can never underestimate Coach Nancy Fischer and the Lady Warriors. Watched Jefferson play at the Dig for Life and they're really good. Haven't seen Arcadia Valley but they did take Advance three sets earlier this season. C2D3 has to be one of the most brutal districts in the state with the aforementioned AV, Jefferson, and Valle Catholic duking it out in this one. Luckily for them, St. Pius X (Festus) got moved out to District 4 which will be a cakewalk for the Lancers in this district consumed by mostly poor inner-city schools. The Lady Lancers are currently undefeated and dropped out last minute of the powerful Tournament of Champions following a tragic death of one of its alumna volleyball players Shelby Meyer. RIP :(

Class 3: Central (Park Hills), Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau), Dexter, Perryville. Park Hills Central seems to have a pretty impressive squad from what I hear. They took second in the Dig for Life Challenge, falling to Class 4 Northwest (Cedar Hill) in the championship game. Park Hills, Dexter and Perryville will all be competing in the Perryville Tournament on Saturday; Notre Dame will be participating in some tournament at Lutheran South for the first time. Haven't been able to find a schedule/bracket for that one yet. Dexter is a wild card. They were rolling throughout most of the month of September but this week they lost back-to-back games to Class 1 Advance and Leopold. The Lady Bearcats play Winona tonight; that could be a good game. The Lady Bearcats really do not need to roll into the Perryville Tournament with three straight losses to Class 1 schools.

Class 4: Jackson is in the top team in the area, but it'll be the same ole story where whatever team wins Sectional 1 will likely see their season end come sectionals when they'll be clobbered by the St. Louis privates. Farmington looks to be quite down this year, and I will say this, Cape Central (yes, Cape Central) has improved a lot. They play a weak schedule but I watched them play at the Dig for Life Challenge and they have a pretty legit sophomore hitter in Ella Vogel. They're nowhere near up to par as Jackson, but I give credit where credit is due, and the Lady Tigers have definitely improved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT