ADVERTISEMENT

Most Dominating High School Football Player in Missouri You've Seen:

Them and Lockwood both… one question on Archie, if they ever do make the bump back up, will they be allowed in the OHC? Lockwood already has an 11-man league they should be playing in.

And yes, Hocker was a good one! And Shannon Crouch was a dandy Little League coach that did wonders for building up my son in baseball. I’ll always be appreciative.
Don’t see Archie ever leaving 8 man unless enrollment forces them to. They were 148(9-11) this year with I believe a limit of 150 being imposed. Why go 11 man when you can be the largest 8 man school in the state and be a contender every year.

Don’t see Archie ever leaving 8 man unless enrollment forces them to. They were 148(9-11) this year with I believe a limit of 150 being imposed. Why go 11 man when you can be the largest 8 man school in the state and be a contender every year.
That could be, but 148 is close to 150, and if KC decides to develop more southerly… may have to start rapid expulsion. You’re probably right thought; they will probably 8-man as long as they can.

They won't be contenders after this year

Michael Harper from those great Hickman Mills teams of the late 70's was a GREAT hs running back and went on to have a nice career at USC and a few seasons with the New York Jets.

The 1978 All-State team featured Harper, George Shorthose, Gary Anderson and another great back from Grandview HS, David Haynes.

Not sure we've ever seen a better single class of RB's.
Grandview in the late 70's with Sam Brown as head coach produced some really good kids/teams. His coaching staff was as good as I've seen in the KC area.

Tony Temple
For small schools- Besides Brad Hocker, Kyle Knighton was a man child at West Platte. I remember going north with Veer, (BHP at that time) to watch them play in the quarterfinals.
Another great one was Michael Keck from Harrisonville, gone way too soon.
They beat Santa Fe like 14-6 right? 2001?

Reactions: thetophat2021
TT
TVZ
DGB
Josh Freeman

I think TVZ wins it, but man I’m telling you, Josh Freeman on a field with HS players seemed legitimately unfair. He made Grandview relevant when they might not have won a game w/o him. All four of those dudes listed were in a different class.

Reactions: Fort80
Very true. At the high school level he was almost unstoppable. Sitting in the stands it made you glad you weren't being asked to tackle him. He would just as soon run over you as run around you, but he could do both.
Was looking up the years he played at pebble and the title runs.

Pebble hasn't won a state title in 14 years. How does that happen? StL better at recruiting?

PS. CEOwelcher still owes me 100 bucks.

• Haha
Reactions: HomeyR
For Class 1, give me Kevin Freeze from Greenfield. Or Joseph Brown, same school. Or two-way All-Stater David McNeel, another Wildcat from GHS. He went on to start as a LB at Mizzou, sign a contract with the Buccaneers, and play in the CFL Grey Cup.

Just bragging on some of my local boys I watched play.

Reactions: mosofan and Arcola
Tony Temple
Kyle Knighton was a man child at West Platte. I remember going north with Veer, (BHP at that time) to watch them play in the quarterfinals.

Saw temple play in the Dome, was actually talking about that with a Rockhurst grad the other day.
Served with another Rockhurst grad when I was in the military and we talked about that game and temple on more than one occasion.

Saw Knighton play his senior year. between him and Barmann, West Platte had some good future D1 guys come through that team, them and South Harrison

Caleb Shaffitzel, Dorial Greene Beckham, Grant Wistrom, Brad Hocker..

Saw schafittzel play against Willow Springs in the playoffs his senior year.
Everyone knew he was getting the ball every play, everyone knew he was more than likely running in between the tackles, and it didn’t matter 🤣🤣🤣

For me it's Thurman Hoskins from Lathrop in the early 80's that there was a man playing with boys. I still have a scar under my chin from attempting to tackle the guy. Went on to Nebraska where he had three kids then to Maryville where he had a couple more. Last time I seen him he was working or the water dept in either Lathrop or Plattsburg and still looked like he could play.

For Class 1, give me Kevin Freeze from Greenfield. Or Joseph Brown, same school. Or two-way All-Stater David McNeel, another Wildcat from GHS. He went on to start as a LB at Mizzou, sign a contract with the Buccaneers, and play in the CFL Grey Cup.

Just bragging on some of my local boys I watched play.
Wasn't there some freak athlete that played for Northwest Hughesville or something back in the day? Maybe someone knows who I'm talking about

Hands down its gotta be this kid! He was a galloping ghost! A.K.A Marvin Burkes
5fe46fcb-4f4f-4365-8e67-81dd1652ac3a_1920x1080.png
Marvin Burkes, Party of 4. Your table is ready.

Shannon Crouch - Seneca, Michael Keck - Harrisonville, Elliot - Burroughs, Mark Smith - Webb, Luther Burden - CR and DGB - Hilcrest. Those are the players in no particular order that come to mind for me of who I have seen in person. That's from Missouri anyway, I did get a chance to watch Springdale in 2005 with Mustain, Williams, Clevland and Webb. That's the best HS team I've personally watched play. There were a couple of other D1 players on that team as well.

Reactions: Arcola
For Missouri it's Grant Wistrom and DGB.

I saw some good ones when I was in the military, including Reggie Bush (who played on the same Helix team as Alex Smith) and Ricky Williams. I also saw Michael Vick play against Ronald Curry and a whole bunch of dudes in Virginia.

For me, the best high school player I ever saw was hands down Allen Iverson and I saw a lot of good ones in those days. IMO he is the best high school football player to not play in the NFL. I can't imagine anyone who saw him play in high school who knows anything about football would say otherwise.

Hampton was definitely a football hotbed back in the day and thirty minutes from Norfolk.

Saw alot of really good ones thru the years but Alan Cockrell was probable the best off the 1980 Joplin Parkwood Bears. I think every big 8 school offered him we all know he went on to Tennessee for Johnny Majors.
Jeff Tupper also was so dominating on defense, the man was a beast and would go to play at Oklahoma. Then play pro ball Cardinals, Eagles, Broncos and Chiefs.

Saw alot of really good ones thru the years but Alan Cockrell was probable the best off the 1980 Joplin Parkwood Bears. I think every big 8 school offered him we all know he went on to Tennessee for Johnny Majors.
Jeff Tupper also was so dominating on defense, the man was a beast and would go to play at Oklahoma. Then play pro ball Cardinals, Eagles, Broncos and Chiefs.
The nose guard on that team was Dee Grenniger. Two time first team all state and the quickest off the ball I have ever seen. Alan and Jeff were the two best players on that team but as a high school player Dee was right with them.

Reactions: bullitpdq68
Saw schafittzel play against Willow Springs in the playoffs his senior year.
Everyone knew he was getting the ball every play, everyone knew he was more than likely running in between the tackles, and it didn’t matter 🤣🤣🤣
I saw Schafittzel play his last high school game at Lamar. They was ready for him.
He had a great career at Mo State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT