ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read from Nebraska about competitive balance and teams quitting

First problem is, their mascot is a Bunny.....Who thought that was a good idea? You every wonder how a whole committee can approve something really dumb? Like a bad commercial or in this case, the mascot to a school...

Almost makes it sound like open enrollment is a ridiculously bad idea that could have ripple effects on districts and communities. Who would ever thunk that, huh?
On the other hand,,,why should a student be forced to attend a really crappy school???

Lots of administrators and educators don’t give a damn,,maybe solution is to fire all of the underachieving adults in the room??

So the parents in a high performing district are that much better than the parents in a neighboring crappy district.???
Yes. It's not a popular opinion but bad schools aren't typically bad because of bad teachers or bad admins it's because they have disproportionately high numbers of students that are difficult to educate for one reason or another.

Poverty
Crime
Broken homes
Drugs/addiction in the home
Single parent homes
Disengaged or otherwise absent parents
Homeless/unstable living arrangement
Can't speak english or have parents who can't speak english

I'm sure there are some exceptions that are genuinely poorly run districts but in most cases the bad schools are always in lower income urban or very rural areas or schools with very high diversity and merely a reflection of the demographics of the community in which they operate.

So the parents in a high performing district are that much better than the parents in a neighboring crappy district.???
Actually yes.....that's pretty much the difference. You can even look at schools that are in the same large town/city and one will be good and the other bad. Even if they have the same admin

Yes. It's not a popular opinion but bad schools aren't typically bad because of bad teachers or bad admins it's because they have disproportionately high numbers of students that are difficult to educate for one reason or another.

Poverty
Crime
Broken homes
Single parent homes

I'm sure there are some exceptions that are genuinely poorly run districts but in most cases the bad schools are always in lower income urban or very rural areas or schools with very high diversity and merely a reflection of the demographics of the community in which they operate.
I stated years ago on this topic that it is a Social Problem! Not an Educational Problem!!! Cause and effect!!!

Poverty
Crime
Broken homes
Single parent homes

Hit the nail on the head. I bet if you surveyed a large group of teachers, and asked what their number one complaint would be, you would get something about the parenting before you got to complaints about admin and other teachers. I get angry when I read about "the wacko teachers indoctrinating students". Obv that is extremely rare, but even so, what is that saying about your parenting if you are letting a teacher who has your kid for 4 1/2 hrs a week "indoctrinate" you child when they are in the parents care for the other 16 hours a day, and all day Sat and Sunday.

One of the biggest issues I see is attendance. So far this school year, my building has (I say the exact percentage) well over 20% of our students have missed more than 10% of school already, and 9% have missed over 15% of school days. Hard to achieve real high if you are not in school.

I wonder if the effectiveness of the booster club is a factor for families where open enrollment is a thing?
Oh dear God.
THANK YOU for bringing this up, Shoot! Oddly enough, no. Allow me to explain. ANY great booster club in areas where open enrollment is allowed, the BOOSTER CLUB picks the athletes. I mean the students. NOT the families picking the district.

• Haha
Reactions: shoot90draw
Hit the nail on the head. I bet if you surveyed a large group of teachers, and asked what their number one complaint would be, you would get something about the parenting before you got to complaints about admin and other teachers. I get angry when I read about "the wacko teachers indoctrinating students". Obv that is extremely rare, but even so, what is that saying about your parenting if you are letting a teacher who has your kid for 4 1/2 hrs a week "indoctrinate" you child when they are in the parents care for the other 16 hours a day, and all day Sat and Sunday.

One of the biggest issues I see is attendance. So far this school year, my building has (I say the exact percentage) well over 20% of our students have missed more than 10% of school already, and 9% have missed over 15% of school days. Hard to achieve real high if you are not in school.
Teachers are an easy target for the mushbrained that can't do higher order thinking.

310f7ac3-5510-40bb-9c9a-681c60cbe94c_text.gif

Poverty
Crime
Broken homes
Single parent homes

Is that why East High school won the state championship in Soccer last year? Or why Tonka made the final foun in basketball?

How about there are 18 sports in high school, and there are a lot of factors to success?

Reactions: trumanbulldog42

Poverty
Crime
Broken homes
Single parent homes

You can basically chalk it up to a household that values education vs one that doesn't. And here's the dirty little secret, if you're a working professional you probably understand the value of education. Also, if you're a working professional you probably have an average to above average income. So you're telling me students who come from higher socioeconomic backgrounds are typically better students? Sure am.

Is that why East High school won the state championship in Soccer last year? Or why Tonka made the final foun in basketball?

How about there are 18 sports in high school, and there are a lot of factors to success?
It's almost like you can cherry pick examples from every situation that differ from the mean. Astounding revelation.

• Haha
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Let's stick to the stereotypes and narratives you like, then.
Odd. I never mentioned age, gender, or race. There's a difference in socioeconomics and stereotypes. You made your own narrative. Hurry, run and show me a poor district that performs well. Out of the 500+ district in MO, I'm sure you can find one.

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT